Help me become a better Sniper

#1HootieHooPosted 11/29/2012 11:03:15 PM
I've never really tried sniping in past CODs, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't want to be one of those annoying quickscopers, so help me learn the right way, please. Which gun is best? Are there any attachments that are imperative? What would you suggest for perks/equipment? Any strategies or tips I should know?
---
XBL Gamertag: Squirrel Zero
FFXIV: Amari Stardancer, Excalibur
#2zombie95Posted 11/29/2012 11:07:20 PM
If you're starting out, use the Ballistics CPU for reduced scope sway. As for what sniper rifle to use, I personally like the DSR, but they all seem decent enough.
#3iHeartMotaPosted 11/29/2012 11:07:34 PM
Dsr with cpu and extended mags. Use pistol as secondary. Btw even if you quick scope, you're not going to beat any weapon class in cqc. Except maybe lmgs without dexterity.

Find a good line of sight at high traffic areas and fire away.
---
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want." - Calvin and Hobbes
#4typhone004Posted 11/29/2012 11:09:54 PM
I would recommend using overkill and a shotgun or smg so you can stop sniping when the enemy gets too close and not have to use pistols against other primaries.
#5pozertronPosted 11/29/2012 11:44:05 PM
HootieHoo posted...
I've never really tried sniping in past CODs, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I don't want to be one of those annoying quickscopers, so help me learn the right way, please. Which gun is best? Are there any attachments that are imperative? What would you suggest for perks/equipment? Any strategies or tips I should know?

If you wanna learn to snipe, CoD is not the right game. Sniping is much more rewarding in Battlefield games.
#6RikiazPosted 11/29/2012 11:48:10 PM
pozertron posted...
HootieHoo posted...

If you wanna learn to snipe, CoD is not the right game. Sniping is much more rewarding in Battlefield games.

Still pretty easy though.

I've never had trouble sniping in any game.
---
In death lays ecstasy, in undeath lays immortality
#7Dark_Link72Posted 11/30/2012 4:44:23 AM
If you're new to sniping, I recommend starting with the SVU to get used to how you should approach engagements. Facing an encounter from mid-range and closer is extremely dangerous, so it is VERY important to utilize long sight-lines of high-traffic areas.

To avoid getting snuck up on as easily, I would say play Domination.
The spawns are better than in TDM, you'll have an easier time predicting enemy traffic, and you can still be useful by defending flags.

Use the SVU to practice fighting in this method, and once you feel confident enough in your aim, feel free to try out the other rifles.

Be sure to carry a pistol on back-up. The B23R will probably serve you best as it is rather easy to handle and is effective even at mid-range.

For perks, I suggest Flinch, Fast Hands, Flak Jacket, and Blind Eye.

Flinch is a must, because deflection in your aim while sniping makes a massive difference (much larger than, say, while ADS'ing in CQC with an SMG) Fast Hands for the instant swap to your side-arm in emergencies, Flak Jacket to protect you from incoming grenades/C4/launchers (which you will attract a lot of if you remain in one area), and Blind-Eye is up to you. If you're going to use buildings, carry a launcher or Black Hat, then don't go for it.

Go for low kill-streaks such as the UAV/Hunter-Killer/CUAV chain.

Use a betty or a claymore to cover you flank, and place shock charges at choke points within your line of sight.

With the SVU, just pace your shots and utilize your mag capacity. Aim for center mass, and be ready to double-tap most people. Practice scoping in only when you anticipate an enemy to appear, or as soon as an enemy appears. Excess time spent ADS'd will produce tunnel vision and get you killed. As soon as you you snag your kill(s), lower your scope and take whatever you deem as the best tactical move (such as reloading or checking your flank). I say this because it is, again, detrimental to remain scoped for too long. Shifting aim from one location to another while scoped takes AGES, as compared to the split second you can while your rifle is at the hip. Also, be wary of tracking targets while scoped in that are close enough to out-run how fast your cross-hairs move. Strive for efficiency and, eventually, the time it takes to scope in and snag a kill will become shorter and shorter to the point where you will be able to become more mobile and need less of an advantage to win engagements. Get quick enough, and you can move on into aggressive sniping (since I wouldn't call it 'quick-scoping'), if you so desire.

If you bump on up to aggressive sniping with the DSR or Ballista, use Dexterity in order to ADS quicker after moving around.

Sniping is rather difficult in this game, but extremely enjoyable. Have fun!
---
I'm loving the shenanigans.
#8xHonestyxPosted 11/30/2012 4:50:14 AM
XPR-50(Consistent one hit semi-auto shots)
FMJ/Ballistic CPU
Kap-40 Extended Mag
Hardline(ghost if you like getting feeds)
Scavenger
Dex or Engineer
1 Betty
1 Shock Charge/or Black hat/ or Emp

Run
Hunter Killer/COunter Uav/Hellstorm or LIghtning Strike

Good starter, I run a similar set-up and get my AGR/Stealth Chopper 1/3 matches.
#9jay11228181Posted 11/30/2012 5:00:55 AM
Slow your connection down so that when you fire a shot it will turn corners and kill.