Playing to win

#1Styrof0amPosted 11/30/2012 6:22:19 AM
Just thought of this, when reading the excellent 'tryhard' thread

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/

I especially like the 'Introducing...the Scrub' chapter ... something for the sore loosers to consider before posting scrub on message boards or sending hatemail on Xbox Live.

tl;dr: (in relation to the link)
Your loss, I'm not catering to lazy people
#2sausage54Posted 11/30/2012 6:41:15 AM
I actually want to read this, because I do some of that self imposed rules to play sports games more realistically.
---
The only thing I can control is my EFFORT, ATTITUDE, and, FOCUS.
#3BlazingxPaddlesPosted 11/30/2012 6:54:37 AM
Hiding in dark corners for prolonged amounts of time may be advantageous for a win, but it's a GAME. People who would read that trite garbage and take it to heart should make careful evaluation of their life and what's really important to them.

If you're a 12 year old kid, whatever, I understand your infatuation. To the 20+ year olds, your priorities are shot. When perfecting what corners to hide in or drop shotting sits atop your list of skills learned, you've already lost "the game".
#4Styrof0am(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 7:08:46 AM
Hiding in dark cornerss is within the game parameters. If it helps you win, then by all means do so.

Personally I run'n'gun, and I'm fully aware that means a higher chance of catching a random bullet, running into a corner camper or simply loosing a one-on-one. I will never complain about getting killed, no matter what tactic my opponent uses. I will not call him a scrub, a tryhard or complain about his choice of weapon. I have the exact same tactics and weapons available to me.
#5JDood5491Posted 11/30/2012 7:13:15 AM
BlazingxPaddles posted...
Hiding in dark corners for prolonged amounts of time may be advantageous for a win, but it's a GAME. People who would read that trite garbage and take it to heart should make careful evaluation of their life and what's really important to them.

If you're a 12 year old kid, whatever, I understand your infatuation. To the 20+ year olds, your priorities are shot. When perfecting what corners to hide in or drop shotting sits atop your list of skills learned, you've already lost "the game".

You're doing exactly what the author of that article is implying. You're using a self made rule that because you have a 'life' you don't want to play to win.

It's a great article and if definitely worth a read. I have a 'life' (very subjective anyway) yet I still play to win. Winning is fun right?
---
XBL Gamertag: MrJagz91
#6MoegittoPosted 11/30/2012 7:15:19 AM
Playing to win is subjective, since people in this game still play for k/d. People play domination just to kill people going for objectives, if it helps the team ok but if your team is losing you need to move.

But then again, with all the problems in this game I stopped playing for real after day 3. Just trying to unlock all the attachments for everything one by one, had a blast doing the crossbow. When you actually play to have fun you actually do have fun. I can understand how people can become frustrated, but if you want to play serious that's what the League Play is for. Normal mp is for something quick and easy, win or lose you still get xp.
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121
#7JDood5491Posted 11/30/2012 7:19:30 AM
Moegitto posted...
Playing to win is subjective, since people in this game still play for k/d. People play domination just to kill people going for objectives, if it helps the team ok but if your team is losing you need to move.

But then again, with all the problems in this game I stopped playing for real after day 3. Just trying to unlock all the attachments for everything one by one, had a blast doing the crossbow. When you actually play to have fun you actually do have fun. I can understand how people can become frustrated, but if you want to play serious that's what the League Play is for. Normal mp is for something quick and easy, win or lose you still get xp.

AFAIK domination doesn't affect your kd ratio. I may be wrong though.
---
XBL Gamertag: MrJagz91
#8Aether_LyricPosted 11/30/2012 7:24:22 AM
This is more relevant to competitive environments (in this case, League Play/GB/MLG/whatever), I don't think "playing to win" justifies camping in a public match.
#9MoegittoPosted 11/30/2012 7:27:23 AM
JDood5491 posted...
Moegitto posted...

AFAIK domination doesn't affect your kd ratio. I may be wrong though.

It still affects you SPM, and that is what SBMM works off of. And Domination affects your k/d, it just doesn't show it on the immediate leader/scoreboard in the match, if you go on Elite it'll show your k/d, plus you can see it in your career record.
---
Everyone on GameFaqs pretty much is a troll. This site honestly has the WORST user base I have ever seen. -Tuggboat1121
#10Styrof0am(Topic Creator)Posted 11/30/2012 7:46:43 AM
Aether_Lyric posted...
This is more relevant to competitive environments (in this case, League Play/GB/MLG/whatever), I don't think "playing to win" justifies camping in a public match.

I see where you're coming from, but it's still applying your own moral code to a game, that has none.

That said, is camping even that succesful a tactic to begin with?
I rarely see corner campers going positive or very high on the scoreboard. People that hold down a smal section of the map seem to do much better (but I don't have the patience to do that either)