So it's Lag Comp?

#1Krazoa2Posted 12/3/2012 3:50:18 PM
Continuation:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/669289-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/64701454

I never got an answer as to why it's lag comp and not lag.
#2zxrax_alt_1Posted 12/3/2012 3:54:12 PM
Sometimes it's just lag, sometimes it's lag compensation. When I'm host and I die around the corner, you used to call that lag. Rare as it may have been, if I died around the corner as host in MW2 I would've disregarded the fact that I was host and said "That's some bulls*** lag right there". That's because I didn't know what the phrase "lag compensation" was or meant at the time.

Lag compensation can easily be described as client-side bullet registration. It means that even if you are the host, what happens on the enemy's screen is more important - if they hit you three times and the game is able to communicate that to your Xbox, you've lost the gunfight.

It's frustrating because I can be around a corner on my screen, but my hitboxes and character model are both still in my enemy's line of sight because he's 150ms behind me. It makes sense from a design standpoint because you want to make the game fair and balanced, but for players who are always ahead of the game latency-wise, bulls*** occurs more often.
---
http://www.twitch.tv/vraage || GT: v Raage
3770K @4.44GHz || 8GB 2133MHz || ROG Maximus V Extreme || SSD 840 250GB || 2TB HDD
#3BoozinFTWPosted 12/3/2012 3:59:32 PM
When I'm host I'm always (x time) behind everyone else. All other games I could dominate when host. Has to be lag comp. then add horrible spawning and horrible maps....
---
Not changing this until Tony Romo is replaced
#4Krazoa2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 4:09:15 PM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...
Sometimes it's just lag, sometimes it's lag compensation. When I'm host and I die around the corner, you used to call that lag. Rare as it may have been, if I died around the corner as host in MW2 I would've disregarded the fact that I was host and said "That's some bulls*** lag right there". That's because I didn't know what the phrase "lag compensation" was or meant at the time.

Lag compensation can easily be described as client-side bullet registration. It means that even if you are the host, what happens on the enemy's screen is more important - if they hit you three times and the game is able to communicate that to your Xbox, you've lost the gunfight.

It's frustrating because I can be around a corner on my screen, but my hitboxes and character model are both still in my enemy's line of sight because he's 150ms behind me. It makes sense from a design standpoint because you want to make the game fair and balanced, but for players who are always ahead of the game latency-wise, bulls*** occurs more often.

No doubt the better connection doesnt always win, anyone who's played against Brazilians knows that for sure. But still, lag comp was put into the game to allow people who arent host to actually stand a chance and not get obliterated, right? So if lag comp's only there to lessen the lag for non-hosts, in theory if the lag was decreased the potency for lag compensation would be decreased as well because there wouldn't be as much of a need for it, right?

By "even if you're host", you're implying if you arent too right? Cause then you're pretty much just saying no matter what, the enemy's screen is more important, and... >_> And if you kill them before the game's able to tell your xbox they shot you, you get away with nothing, in theory.

Why does it occur more often for those ahead than those behind?
#5FalloutgenuisPosted 12/3/2012 4:11:37 PM
I'm always host :(
---
Wub!
GT: RAW DJ
#6BTzzPosted 12/3/2012 4:12:47 PM
BTzz posted...
Lag compensation is what it sounds like. The idea is that no one is on the same connection in any online game, so lag compensation is the aspect of the netcode that makes the game appear to be running smoothly despite this. In reality, the game looks slightly different to everyone playing it. There's differing connection speeds and such. The best example is dying around a corner and seeing you weren't around the corner on his screen. All games that have online multiplayer have lag compensation. This game seems to handle it differently than most games in that it's more severe and noticeable. There are times in this game where you can seem a second behind or a second ahead of your opponent. This results in some crazy things, like dying before the enemy has stopped sprinting on your screen, having several bursts of a gun come out instantly so you die immediately, and enemies killing you after rounding a corner while not having rounded the corner on your screen. Unfair, unjustifiable things.

Hopefully that's a reasonable explanation for it. Some of it is people complaining about lag when they die normal deaths, but there's a real problem here.

---
Xbox GT: Ian Bits
#7ICantNameGudPosted 12/3/2012 4:13:55 PM
Krazoa2 posted...
zxrax_alt_1 posted...

No doubt the better connection doesnt always win, anyone who's played against Brazilians knows that for sure. But still, lag comp was put into the game to allow people who arent host to actually stand a chance and not get obliterated, right? So if lag comp's only there to lessen the lag for non-hosts, in theory if the lag was decreased the potency for lag compensation would be decreased as well because there wouldn't be as much of a need for it, right?

By "even if you're host", you're implying if you arent too right? Cause then you're pretty much just saying no matter what, the enemy's screen is more important, and... >_> And if you kill them before the game's able to tell your xbox they shot you, you get away with nothing, in theory.

Why does it occur more often for those ahead than those behind?

Because it's designed so people stealing internet from their neighbors to have an advantage over someone with 30/down wired connection. Obviously that makes it "fair" (RAGE)
---
Get it right, do it nice. If you make a mistake, you're gonna pay for it twice. If you need it... got to have it. Get yourself a shotgun and bring it back home
#8Krazoa2(Topic Creator)Posted 12/3/2012 4:18:16 PM
BTzz posted...
Hopefully that's a reasonable explanation for it. Some of it is people complaining about lag when they die normal deaths, but there's a real problem here.

My question is why is the issue lag comp over lag, not what is lag comp and also what happens in the game. Plus the "what happens in the game" part you just mentioned has been happening since CoD4 to my knowledge, and lag comp hasnt been whined about since MW3 so....jus dont ad up.

ICantNameGud posted...
Because it's designed so people stealing internet from their neighbors to have an advantage over someone with 30/down wired connection. Obviously that makes it "fair" (RAGE)

I see you're a fond believer of the "If I read on the internet it must be true" concept.
#9zxrax_alt_1Posted 12/3/2012 4:18:53 PM

Pretty much, yes.

The host's Xbox "keeps the time" in the game. It automagically (and very badly, apparently) "Rewinds time" so that every character model is in line with hitboxes on each player's Xbox. It also takes the time an action reported by a client's xbox and automagically adjusts it so that the action, in theory, matches up with how it happened in real-time/real life as well. The problem is that the amount of time rewound, so to speak, is greater in this game and MW3 than older games.

I don't know the intimate details, but I remember reading on Den's forum somewhere that "it's almost as if they forgot to divide latency by 2 in the formula" from toys, a very well respected member who knows a s***load about how CoD networking...works. So i would imagine this means that to account for connection fluctuation, CoDs 4 through BO only used half of the client's ping to the host as measured at any given time to apply as time rewound by the host's xbox, whereas they basically didn't take a fraction of the ping in MW3.

Of course, lag compensation would be gone if lag was gone. There would be no time rewinding and every encounter would be on equal footing. Lag compensation starts with lag.
---
http://www.twitch.tv/vraage || GT: v Raage
3770K @4.44GHz || 8GB 2133MHz || ROG Maximus V Extreme || SSD 840 250GB || 2TB HDD
#10torey_caylorPosted 12/3/2012 4:19:57 PM
It's just wonky Treyarch netcode as usual. Their COD's were always the laggiest and with messed up hit detection even on dedi servers on PC.

People jusr cant stop using lag comp term ever since mw3. The reality is that the real creators are gone and they obviously know engine and how to code it the best.