Why SMGs and the 870 are Overpowered

#1CharityDiaryPosted 12/4/2012 10:43:20 AM(edited)
This is not your typical ''I like to race NASCAR fast!'' thread. This will be an in-depth discussion on why I believe these guns are overpowered. I will have a TL;DR version at the bottom, but if this is too long and you're not going to read it, why are you reading it? You're stupid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this game, like other shooters, there are different classes of weapons. In order for each weapon class to be viable, the class must be able to stand on its own merits against the other weapon classes as long as the player uses the weapons' advantages correctly.

For example, in Battlefield 3, the sniper rifle is a completely viable weapon. The player can get a considerable distance away from high-traffic areas and pick people off effectively. This is because the sniper rifle compensates for its slow rate of fire with high accuracy and damage, but it only has an advantage at long range.

Which brings me to my main point:

The weapons in this game must be balanced not only by comparative statistics, but we must also take into account the weapons' effective ranges, and the player's ability to use the maps to stay within their preferred weapon's effective range.

The SMGs and 870 Shotgun dominate their effective range due to their incredibly fast kill time. Both kill pretty much instantly, and if the player uses a laser sight, no aiming is necessary. Pair this with lag compensation and dexterity, and the kill time becomes even faster.

At first glance, it might appear that these guns are balanced, because they compensate for being insta-kill machines by having a short effective range. This is incorrect.

The maps in this game admittedly have a few points here and there where someone can utilize the advantages of an Assault Rifle or Sniper Rifle, but these points are few and far between.

And finally, the real reason why the SMGs and 870 are overpowered:

SMG and 870 users are free to maneuver around the cluttered maps, knowing that whatever gunfights they encounter, they will likely be within their gun's effective range. It is very easy, as an SMG or 870 user, to play in a way that ensures that you will always win your gunfights against other weapon classes. As an Assault Rifle user, you can't always ensure that your battles will be mid-range. SMG users can maneuver around all the cluttered hallways and remain within their effective range for the entire match. The other weapon classes, however, cannot.

This makes SMGs and the 870 overpowered.

TL;DR: With the current maps, close-range players can ensure that they always remain within close-range of their enemies. Mid- and long-range players cannot do this.
#2Akiba69Posted 12/4/2012 10:09:54 AM
870 over powered? It's range is horrible. It needs to have power, guess what, it's a shotgun!
---
Want a Nuketown Zombies Code? PM me.
#3MilesAustin19Posted 12/4/2012 10:10:23 AM
I'm hoping the map packs have more variety in maps.
---
The Atlanta Falcons are the best team in the NFL
#falconstodabowl
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 12/4/2012 10:12:01 AM
MilesAustin19 posted...

I really think all the SMG butthurt will resolve itself with the addition of a few big maps.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#5Knives13Posted 12/4/2012 10:12:41 AM
CharityDiary posted...
This is not your typical ''SMGs and the 870 are overpowered cuz they kill a lot'' thread. This will be an in-depth discussion on why I believe these guns are overpowered. I will have a TL;DR version at the bottom, but if this is too long and you're not going to read it, why are you reading it? You're stupid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this game, like other shooters, there are different classes of weapons. In order for each weapon class to be viable, the class must be able to stand on its own merits against the other weapon classes as long as the player uses the weapons' advantages correctly.

For example, in Battlefield 3, the sniper rifle is a completely viable weapon. The player can get a considerable distance away from high-traffic areas and pick people off effectively. This is because the sniper rifle compensates for its slow rate of fire with high accuracy and damage, but it only has an advantage at long range.

Which brings me to my main point:

The weapons in this game must be balanced not only by comparative statistics, but we must also take into account the weapons' effective ranges, and the player's ability to use the maps to stay within their preferred weapon's effective range.

The SMGs and 870 Shotgun dominate their effective range due to their incredibly fast kill time. Both kill pretty much instantly, and if the player uses a laser sight, no aiming is necessary. Pair this with lag compensation and dexterity, and the kill time becomes even faster.

At first glance, it might appear that these guns are balanced, because they compensate for being insta-kill machines by having a short effective range. This is incorrect.

The maps in this game admittedly have a few points here and there where someone can utilize the advantages of an Assault Rifle or Sniper Rifle, but these points are few and far between.

And finally, the real reason why the SMGs and 870 are overpowered:

SMG and 870 users are free to maneuver around the cluttered maps, knowing that whatever gunfights they encounter, they will likely be within their gun's effective range. It is very easy, as an SMG or 870 user, to play in a way that ensures that you will always win your gunfights against other weapon classes. As an Assault Rifle user, you can't always ensure that your battles will be mid-range. SMG users can maneuver around all the cluttered hallways and remain within their effective range for the entire match. The other weapon classes, however, cannot.

This makes SMGs and the 870 overpowered.

TL;DR: With the current maps, close-range players can ensure that they always remain within close-range of their enemies. Mid- and long-range players cannot do this.

Isn't this a map issue?
#6CharityDiary(Topic Creator)Posted 12/4/2012 10:13:38 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
MilesAustin19 posted...

I really think all the SMG butthurt will resolve itself with the addition of a few big maps.

It's not people being "butthurt", because these maps really do cater to SMG exploitation...

If the game had any maps that weren't incredibly small, other weapon classes would actually have room to use their advantages.
#7RONIN_Y0JIMBOPosted 12/4/2012 10:14:07 AM
I don't agree with all of your points, mainly about the Remmington, but your TL;DR is spot on.
---
Gamertag- RONIN Y0JIMBO
Is that cynicism? On the internet? Grow up, I have no time for your elitist attitude. Come back when you can be useful.
#8shadowsofdawnPosted 12/4/2012 10:17:30 AM
The 870 is just good enough, even a slight nerf and the thing will be a bottom tier weapon like the other 3 shotguns. But yeah the smgs are crazy. I used the PDW for the first time last night and I was shocked how amazing that thing is, even with no attachements.
---
\o/ Administering jolly ass-whoopings everyday.
.||
#9vigorm0rtisPosted 12/4/2012 10:19:45 AM
CharityDiary posted...

It's not people being "butthurt", because these maps really do cater to SMG exploitation...

When it comes to games, there is a level of aggravation that is butthurt no matter how justified it is. The only class of weapon I don't use are sniper rifles because I don't really enjoy them, but for pete's sake, there's a limit to how annoyed people can get over something like this and still be seen as reasonable.
---
Protip: If you don't see gorilla coming he's already behind you, lotion bottle in hand. --CaPwnd
#10MexiRicanMoFoPosted 12/4/2012 10:20:38 AM
You say the guns are OP and then talk about how the maps are the problem. The truth is the SMG's and the 870 are not OP, they just tend to be the most appropriate choice for these cramped maps. If you choose to gimp yourself by choosing a less efficient weapon that's your problem. All that being said, I would really like to see some maps that give the other weapon types a chance to shine.
---
GT: iLuv2WakenBake