I thought I just sucked REALLY bad at shooters until I realized my TV lags

#11Xian042(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 6:26:47 AM
Doktor_Kaboom posted...
Only 1 guy asked if it was a troll topic. My topic which quoted his was to state that it was not a troll topic so nobody is calling it a troll topic.

1 guy asked if it was, another said he "wasn't sure" if it was, then you quoted the troll topic guy, and someone else touched on it not being a troll topic, It seems people love calling out troll topics on this board and I figured since mine was being looked at as questionable I just wanted to defend it early, and also ask why someone would think it was a troll topic in the first place, because I really don't see what makes it look that way. I really think the one guy that called me out for being a troll was being a troll.
---
Ouch! What do you do?
#12Mvsevm_of_SkinPosted 12/6/2012 6:30:18 AM
bcon1208 posted...
trakrunr4evr posted...
Is this real, or another troll topic?

Completely real. And Razor, that "Game Mode" is more of a placenta usually than an actual fix. Here's how I know (Warning - long but very interesting read head):

I always played on a old fashioned tube tv until about 3 years ago. It was around the time Halo Reach came out. I decided that since video games have been my major hobby for years, it made sense to get a nice tv. So I bought a really nice Phillips 720p HDTV. 32", perfect size for what I needed. So I got home, hooked up my Xbox 360 to it with the AV cables (I did not have an HDMI cable, and I figured it wasn't needed...HA!).

Then the problems started....I remember playing Reach and everything was awful. It literally felt like the screen was behind what my fingers were doing. Needless to say, I share the TC's scoring. Trying to play the campaign was literally painful, multiplier was...impossible. I immediately started doing some research and soon learned about "Input Lag". What it is, is the process that your HDTV has to accomplish in order to make a picture of the appropriate quality. In my case, my 360 was outputting a signal ate around 480p, much lower than 720p (due to the AV cables), and my HDTV was trying to show it in 720p. So it was rescaling the image basically. Now the picture was fine, and I loved the difference in quality. However, this rescaling caused the input lag. Fractions of a second was all it was, but it was a nightmare.

Also in my research I discovered the "Game Mode" setting meant to alleviate this problem. It's bull. All it does is try and adjust your HDTV's image settings so the rescaling isn't as extreme. You could accomplish this same task by manually adjusting the settings yourself (brightness, sharpness, contrast, etc.). Don't buy into these "Game Mode" features. Here's the real fix...

During my research I found devices that would help the rescaling thus making the game playable. However these things were like $100 then, and in no way was I spending that. So I simply dealt with it, and tried to make the best of it. Needless to say I was sad that, in making my games look much nicer, I could barely even play them.

Finally I had an idea, why not get an HDMI cable and try that!? I mean it'd be worth a shot. By this point I had a decent understanding of tv resolutions and what the problem was, so I figured using an HD cable instead of the SD AV cables would solve it! Nope...it was the same. Picture was even prettier, but I still had the input lag. But here's the solution: shortly after hooking up the HDMI cable, I learned there are output settings on the 360 (the newer models). I have a Slim model (was a few months old at the time). So I started driving through the menus and there it was, the holy grail. My output resolution on my 360 was set to 480p...even though I hooked up the HDMI cable, the 360 didn't automatically adjust it up to the higher resolution. So I went in and changed my settings to 720p (same as my HDTV was set to) and OMG IT WORKED!! After a month of fighting and confusion, NO MORE INPUT LAG! It was like I could play video games again, everything was new!

So TC, from the sounds of things you have two HDTV's, and one of them works without input lag, and the other doesn't. I'm willing to bet the "bigger" HDTV is a 1080p/i, correct? And the other is 720? I bet your 360 is outputting in 720, and when you hook it up to the other HDTV, you need to change the settings in the 360 itself. Hope this helps you!

Did you mean placebo?
#13RazorSharp02Posted 12/6/2012 6:31:06 AM
Xian042 posted...
Doktor_Kaboom posted...
Only 1 guy asked if it was a troll topic. My topic which quoted his was to state that it was not a troll topic so nobody is calling it a troll topic.

1 guy asked if it was, another said he "wasn't sure" if it was, then you quoted the troll topic guy, and someone else touched on it not being a troll topic, It seems people love calling out troll topics on this board and I figured since mine was being looked at as questionable I just wanted to defend it early, and also ask why someone would think it was a troll topic in the first place, because I really don't see what makes it look that way. I really think the one guy that called me out for being a troll was being a troll.

I asked if it was originally intended to be a joke topic because 80% of this board is "Lag comp sucks, play Halo/FC3" or "Just went 9448272849591947-2 on Hijacked" and you can't differentiate the joking and trolling from the actual topics on this board. Specifically when it has to do with any kind of lag being used as a reason for not doing well.

I actually gave a serious reply regardless of your original intentions. Don't be so sensitive broskie
---
KCCO & Mind the gap
XBL/PSN:RazorSharp02
#14DeadlyDeathBlowPosted 12/6/2012 6:36:22 AM
bcon1208 posted...

Completely real. And Razor, that "Game Mode" is more of a placenta usually than an actual fix. Here's how I know (Warning - long but very interesting read head):

Placenta? thats a body organ, you mean placebo?
---
The only reason it rains is so God can spit on your existence-Faust
#15shinnok2k5Posted 12/6/2012 6:37:09 AM
Bcon i'm sure you meant placebo lol. Placenta is pretty funny there though.
---
"We live in a world of give and take, but not enough men are willing to give what it takes"
#16DamenMartinezPosted 12/6/2012 6:37:51 AM
I played on a tube tv for awhile for awhile, then I would try and play on my friends plasma and LED tv's. I felt like the screen was blurry and lagged behind me. I then looked at other ways to play, and got a cheaper, low end monitor, and have since upgraded to the Sony Playstation TV, which works like a charm.
---
XBOX 360 Gamertag: Damenm, I mainly play shooters, but I'm just your average player.
Pokemon White: 1420 6357 0668
#17trakrunr4evrPosted 12/6/2012 6:42:10 AM
Xian042 posted...
Doktor_Kaboom posted...

No, I wasn't being a troll. I just see WAY too many people on this board making topics that look legit, but are actually trolling and just looking for a quick laugh.
#18Xian042(Topic Creator)Posted 12/6/2012 6:43:31 AM
RazorSharp02 posted...
Xian042 posted...
Doktor_Kaboom posted...

I asked if it was originally intended to be a joke topic because 80% of this board is "Lag comp sucks, play Halo/FC3" or "Just went 9448272849591947-2 on Hijacked" and you can't differentiate the joking and trolling from the actual topics on this board. Specifically when it has to do with any kind of lag being used as a reason for not doing well.

I actually gave a serious reply regardless of your original intentions. Don't be so sensitive broskie

I didn't say you called me a troll, so YOU'RE a sensitive broskie. My comment must have had some sort of placenta effect on you.
---
Ouch! What do you do?
#19bcon1208Posted 12/6/2012 6:48:20 AM
Mvsevm_of_Skin posted...
Did you mean placebo?

DeadlyDeathBlow posted...
Placenta? thats a body organ, you mean placebo?

shinnok2k5 posted...
Bcon i'm sure you meant placebo lol. Placenta is pretty funny there though.

Stupid auto-correct.

Definitely was going for placebo, but placenta is much more fun, so I'll stick with that.
---
Loading Post... [|||||||||||||||||||||||__] 85% Complete...
lIl Nemesis lIl
#20RazorSharp02Posted 12/6/2012 6:51:56 AM
Xian042 posted...
RazorSharp02 posted...
Xian042 posted...
Doktor_Kaboom posted...

I didn't say you called me a troll, so YOU'RE a sensitive broskie. My comment must have had some sort of placenta effect on you.

You lost me. You were the one defending your non troll status. I was simply explaining that I didn't call you a troll specifically. Meh, oh well.

Glad you figured the lag thing out. Hope this helps people out
---
KCCO & Mind the gap
XBL/PSN:RazorSharp02