Lag Compensation is a Myth

#41Kyle1022Posted 12/18/2012 1:36:49 AM
Did you guys not see the video I posted on post #11?

The fact is, whether or not he directly used the phrase "lag compensation," he addressed a person about the issue and said he was planning to remedy how it worked. He said "that's not how it was intended" and said nothing in the ballpark of "it doesn't exist." Him talking about it and not outright denying its existence is proof enough that it DOES exist.

The fact is, I'm man enough to admit when a person genuinely outplayed me (whether it be them taking a better route and flanking me, them getting the drop on me, me just having bad aim, etc.). But as seen in the video, it's not always his fault, and I have the same problem. Lag compensation (or bad netcoding, whatever you wanna call it) is a significant factor in many firefights and quite frankly, that's bull****.

Couple lag compensation with the skill-based matchmaking in this game AND enemies that are competent enough to take advantage of lag compensation (by strafing with Stock, Lightweight, Toughness, and Dexterity, making their hit boxes incredibly glitchy and often unhittable) and you've got the ingredients for a broken multiplayer if you often find yourself on the losing end of lag compensation.
#42NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 1:40:33 AM
Kyle1022 posted...
Did you guys not see the video I posted on post #11?

The fact is, whether or not he directly used the phrase "lag compensation," he addressed a person about the issue and said he was planning to remedy how it worked. He said "that's not how it was intended" and said nothing in the ballpark of "it doesn't exist." Him talking about it and not outright denying its existence is proof enough that it DOES exist.

The fact is, I'm man enough to admit when a person genuinely outplayed me (whether it be them taking a better route and flanking me, them getting the drop on me, me just having bad aim, etc.). But as seen in the video, it's not always his fault, and I have the same problem. Lag compensation (or bad netcoding, whatever you wanna call it) is a significant factor in many firefights and quite frankly, that's bull****.

Couple lag compensation with the skill-based matchmaking in this game AND enemies that are competent enough to take advantage of lag compensation (by strafing with Stock, Lightweight, Toughness, and Dexterity, making their hit boxes incredibly glitchy and often unhittable) and you've got the ingredients for a broken multiplayer if you often find yourself on the losing end of lag compensation.

Not true at all.
He didn't deny the game wasn't perfect, no one said it was.
He didn't say lag compensation, when he could've. He had no reason not to.
He called it something else, and you guys just inserted the word lag compensation for him. Putting words in his mouth.
There is no lag compensation.
If there is no lag, which there rarely is now, you die when you're supposed to, and get kills when you're supposed to.
#43eddiethemcPosted 12/18/2012 1:41:05 AM
NarutoTaio posted...
ICantNameGud posted...
Oh look, its Infinty Ward admitting lag comp is a thing! *bookmarks*. I've been saying they did for a month

except they never said lag compensation, you guys continue to hold onto it so you have a reason to dashboard

Whatever helps you sleep at night man, but for someone who requires evidence to prove a fact you haven't dug up a single quote from IW or Treyarch saying it straight up doesn't exist.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.
---
Acceptance is the final stage to everything.
#44NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 1:47:00 AM
eddiethemc posted...
NarutoTaio posted...
ICantNameGud posted...
Oh look, its Infinty Ward admitting lag comp is a thing! *bookmarks*. I've been saying they did for a month

except they never said lag compensation, you guys continue to hold onto it so you have a reason to dashboard

Whatever helps you sleep at night man, but for someone who requires evidence to prove a fact you haven't dug up a single quote from IW or Treyarch saying it straight up doesn't exist.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence.

i lose no sleep due to lag compensation
i mean, it doesn't exist anyway, so it can't affect me. it affects no one

and 3arc and IW have more important things to do than deny everything people say is wrong with the game
and if the lag compensation is sooo unbearable and makes the game unplayable, you guys keep chucking your money towards them anyway
#45FungumPosted 12/18/2012 1:52:10 AM
TC has not once acknowledged anything posted as proof of lag comp. Why are you guys still feeding?
#46NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 1:54:42 AM
Fungum posted...
TC has not once acknowledged anything posted as proof of lag comp. Why are you guys still feeding?

they haven't proved anything, there is nothing to prove on the side of lag compensation

people think because they can do 37-3 one match, they should never be able to go 17-23, otherwise it's lag compensation, not their inconsistent skill
#47NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 1:56:03 AM
when people are repeatedly getting outplayed and outgunned, they blame lag compensation right away

when they are doing the same to other people, they are happy, and brag about how skilled they are
#48High_WarlordPosted 12/18/2012 2:05:00 AM
Considering that Infinity Ward stated that there was indeed lag compensation in MW3 (it's in one of their patch notes that they improved upon it. Look it up on their forums if you don't believe me.), that just shows you that it is indeed real. I suppose you could just argue with, "loltheyjustsaidthattomakepeoplehappy" or "loltheyjustusedthetermthecommunityisfamilarwith", but I would like to think that they wouldn't just bend over like that. But then again, maybe I am expecting too much for a CoD dev?
---
A human mage, elf archer and dwarf warrior walk into a bar.
Now loading, please wait...
#49eddiethemcPosted 12/18/2012 2:45:34 AM(edited)
NarutoTaio posted...
when people are repeatedly getting outplayed and outgunned, they blame lag compensation right away

when they are doing the same to other people, they are happy, and brag about how skilled they are

Generalizations. I know when I'm doing good because of an advantage, regardless of what you want to call it to avoid a pointless semantics argument. I've had good games where I felt heavily disadvantaged and I've had bad games where I felt I had hours to react. Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've done research into it because it matters to me, why does it matter to you? And what research have you turned up in favor of there being no system that artificially regulates data? A system called lag compensation ubiquitously in the video game design world.

The only reason I can imagine someone who doesn't notice it having a problem with it is if they feel that if it did exist then they wouldn't be as good as they think they are.

And here's those patch notes, it's number 7 if I recall correctly.

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413264953

Title Update 7

Improvement to address "Host Disadvantage" / "Lag Compensation" that caused hosts with good connections to be hindered.

Plus ability to hot fix additional tweaks based on user feedback to this change.

---
Acceptance is the final stage to everything.
#50HereticKitsunePosted 12/18/2012 2:29:02 AM

Hell no. I recognize that everything I do online is essentially meaningless if we can't all get stable connections with sub-50 ping and a game with good netcode. LAN is the only way to know if you're actually good.
---
mildare_el_rayo: What's the word I'm looking for, here? "An angsty person who loves to complain."
Calad:Squall?