Lag Compensation is a Myth

#81TimandEricPosted 12/18/2012 10:46:30 AM
At the end of the day, who cares whether or not the connection issues are the result of "lag compensation"? The fact still remains that this game has the worst lag/hit detection issues of any Call of Duty game to date. I honestly don't know how overblown the lag comp is or whether or not it's "real", but it's clear that they changed something in the game that has caused this to become an issue.

Just by jumping on any forum or talking to friends who play the game, nearly everyone is experiencing constant connection problems. Maybe you aren't experiencing the same problems? If so, good for you, you're one of the lucky few who haven't run into players glitching behind cover, moving at 2x normal speed, etc. but don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone elses. Whether or not it's due to "lag compensation" is irrelevant. The issues are still there...
#82NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 10:57:55 AM
TimandEric posted...
At the end of the day, who cares whether or not the connection issues are the result of "lag compensation"? The fact still remains that this game has the worst lag/hit detection issues of any Call of Duty game to date. I honestly don't know how overblown the lag comp is or whether or not it's "real", but it's clear that they changed something in the game that has caused this to become an issue.

Just by jumping on any forum or talking to friends who play the game, nearly everyone is experiencing constant connection problems. Maybe you aren't experiencing the same problems? If so, good for you, you're one of the lucky few who haven't run into players glitching behind cover, moving at 2x normal speed, etc. but don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone elses. Whether or not it's due to "lag compensation" is irrelevant. The issues are still there...

The server issues that was plaguing the game the first two weeks or so, are no longer.
The hit detection is overstated and exaggerated, it works fine.

I hear the complaints, and it all comes down to people not being as good as they had hoped they'd be on a fresh, new Call of Duty.
They are fine when they do good, and complain about all the "issues" when they don't do well
#83Shura_SurplicePosted 12/18/2012 11:06:17 AM
HeartlessCharms posted...
Obvi troll topic/10

Stop giving him so much credit he is just this dumb.
#84RBEMPosted 12/18/2012 11:14:23 AM
TC obviously has an average connection. I've played 90+ days on every CoD since 4. I've played on a mobile connection, ADSL and now fibre optic. I know what rubber banding lag looks and feels like. Hit detection in this game is fine, unlike Blops.

This game has lag comp in spades - that is a FACT. The only thing which changes is the degree to which it hits you. The more crap connections in the lobby the harder you'll be hit if you have a fast connection.

Lag comp in my opinion renders all stats in this game as irrelevant. Doing well? It's due to lag comp. Doing bad? Lag comp again.
---
GT: x Pearl o
#85NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 11:17:41 AM
RBEM posted...
TC obviously has an average connection. I've played 90+ days on every CoD since 4. I've played on a mobile connection, ADSL and now fibre optic. I know what rubber banding lag looks and feels like. Hit detection in this game is fine, unlike Blops.

This game has lag comp in spades - that is a FACT. The only thing which changes is the degree to which it hits you. The more crap connections in the lobby the harder you'll be hit if you have a fast connection.

Lag comp in my opinion renders all stats in this game as irrelevant. Doing well? It's due to lag comp. Doing bad? Lag comp again.

Excuses.

What you experience is lag, and that doesn't come all that often now.

Every other time you die, it's because of no other reason than you were outplayed.
You get what you deserve in this game.
#86TimandEricPosted 12/18/2012 11:22:01 AM
NarutoTaio posted...
TimandEric posted...

The server issues that was plaguing the game the first two weeks or so, are no longer.

I hear the complaints, and it all comes down to people not being as good as they had hoped they'd be on a fresh, new Call of Duty.
They are fine when they do good, and complain about all the "issues" when they don't do well

Read the first line.....didn't need to read anymore. You're either delusional or just trolling if you honestly think that the connection issues that people are experiencing are simply nonexistent because everyone is an "elitist tryhard crybaby".

You clearly didn't read the part where I said "don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone else's". I have a few friends that casually play the game and don't really care what their score is, and even they have voiced their complaints and/or just sold the game already.

It's an issue. It is when I have a good game, and it is when I have a bad game. Whether or not the issue is related to "lag comp" is debatable, but the issues are still there. You can choose to deny reality if you want, but most people have accepted the obvious already.
#87NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 11:26:40 AM
TimandEric posted...
NarutoTaio posted...
TimandEric posted...

Read the first line.....didn't need to read anymore. You're either delusional or just trolling if you honestly think that the connection issues that people are experiencing are simply nonexistent because everyone is an "elitist tryhard crybaby".

You clearly didn't read the part where I said "don't assume that your experience is the same as everyone else's". I have a few friends that casually play the game and don't really care what their score is, and even they have voiced their complaints and/or just sold the game already.

It's an issue. It is when I have a good game, and it is when I have a bad game. Whether or not the issue is related to "lag comp" is debatable, but the issues are still there. You can choose to deny reality if you want, but most people have accepted the obvious already.

Never said the game is perfect, it still has lag.
Ever other issue with the game, is with the in-game mechanics.
People confuse that with "lag compensation", or someone simply getting the heads up on them.

I'm not speaking from my experience, speaking from seeing videos of people showing "lag compensation", and it just being them getting outgunned.
#88Lord_XandrosPosted 12/18/2012 11:59:24 AM
Lag compensation, in some form, is in every online game. Online gaming would be terrible without it.

I played Black Ops to death and browsed the forum without seeing it at all. It wasn't until IW mentioned lag compensation during MW3 that people thought "ooh, look, a word! I'm going to use it to blame everything on now!", so I don't believe the phrase started until MW3, and I don't believe it was more noticable until MW3, but it could have been in Black Ops. Back then, everyones favourite complaint was about shoddy hit detection, so until they learned that it could be lag compensation, that's what it was known as - bad hit detection.

Whilst some issues and complaints are lag compensation related, you could bet your ass around half of the complaints are just players trying to justify their deaths, because they're obviously perfect.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/custom1/Angelic_Rave.png | Alternate PSN Account - MrRaveyGravy
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRaveyGravy
#89TooFlyForAWifiPosted 12/18/2012 12:05:35 PM
Wow nobody thinks it's real. I wonder if anybody still thinks that the Titanic was real.
#90Turtlemayor333Posted 12/18/2012 12:08:18 PM
Lord_Xandros posted...
Lag compensation, in some form, is in every online game. Online gaming would be terrible without it.

I played Black Ops to death and browsed the forum without seeing it at all. It wasn't until IW mentioned lag compensation during MW3 that people thought "ooh, look, a word! I'm going to use it to blame everything on now!", so I don't believe the phrase started until MW3, and I don't believe it was more noticable until MW3, but it could have been in Black Ops. Back then, everyones favourite complaint was about shoddy hit detection, so until they learned that it could be lag compensation, that's what it was known as - bad hit detection.

Whilst some issues and complaints are lag compensation related, you could bet your ass around half of the complaints are just players trying to justify their deaths, because they're obviously perfect.

Because Black Ops had an obvious host advantage, and I'm not complaining because I pulled host a lot. But even when I didn't, I would rather have the person who determines whether or not the entire lobby suffers through a bunch of migration processes or not have a slight advantage than have this same person placed at a severe disadvantage via lag compensation. Which invites people to intentionally screw with their connections and all kinds of other nonsense that was never the case before Modern Warfare 3 and ultimately hurts the product for everyone.

I hate this notion that it's just a buzzword like every game implements lag compensation the exact same way. The way they did it here is incredibly flawed.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WWk7D.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YSuCm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WYbKi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZGFPz.jpg