Lag Compensation is a Myth

#91Lord_XandrosPosted 12/18/2012 11:19:20 AM
From: Turtlemayor333 | Posted: 12/18/2012 7:08:18 PM | #090
Lord_Xandros posted...
Lag compensation, in some form, is in every online game. Online gaming would be terrible without it.

I played Black Ops to death and browsed the forum without seeing it at all. It wasn't until IW mentioned lag compensation during MW3 that people thought "ooh, look, a word! I'm going to use it to blame everything on now!", so I don't believe the phrase started until MW3, and I don't believe it was more noticable until MW3, but it could have been in Black Ops. Back then, everyones favourite complaint was about shoddy hit detection, so until they learned that it could be lag compensation, that's what it was known as - bad hit detection.

Whilst some issues and complaints are lag compensation related, you could bet your ass around half of the complaints are just players trying to justify their deaths, because they're obviously perfect.

Because Black Ops had an obvious host advantage, and I'm not complaining because I pulled host a lot. But even when I didn't, I would rather have the person who determines whether or not the entire lobby suffers through a bunch of migration processes or not have a slight advantage than have this same person placed at a severe disadvantage via lag compensation. Which invites people to intentionally screw with their connections and all kinds of other nonsense that was never the case before Modern Warfare 3 and ultimately hurts the product for everyone.

I hate this notion that it's just a buzzword like every game implements lag compensation the exact same way. The way they did it here is incredibly flawed.

This form of lag compensation is the same as that used in past CoD games, though, including Black Ops.

I was just saying, personally, I didn't notice anything in Black Ops, but others noted bad hit detection, and there could have been a link there.

Black Ops changed the lobby conditions to choose hosts that were based on location, to average out the distance between everyone, instead of just choosing the guy with the best connection in the lobby.
---
http://www.yourgamercards.net/trophy/custom1/Angelic_Rave.png | Alternate PSN Account - MrRaveyGravy
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrRaveyGravy
#92Turtlemayor333Posted 12/18/2012 11:29:07 AM
Black Ops changed the lobby conditions to choose hosts that were based on location, to average out the distance between everyone, instead of just choosing the guy with the best connection in the lobby.

This doesn't seem accurate. On the same connection I have been pulling host at the same rate since Call of Duty 4. If this is how they select hosts, it happened at some point before Black Ops. Unless there is some evidence or something I'm going to go ahead and say it was always based on best connection in the lobby.

Although MW3 and after I have no idea and don't even want to take a guess because it's just awful and broken.
---
http://i.imgur.com/WWk7D.jpg http://i.imgur.com/YSuCm.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/WYbKi.jpg http://i.imgur.com/ZGFPz.jpg
#93eddiethemcPosted 12/18/2012 12:32:37 PM
High_Warlord posted...
High_Warlord posted...
Considering that Infinity Ward stated that there was indeed lag compensation in MW3 (it's in one of their patch notes that they improved upon it. Look it up on their forums if you don't believe me.), that just shows you that it is indeed real. I suppose you could just argue with, "loltheyjustsaidthattomakepeoplehappy" or "loltheyjustusedthetermthecommunityisfamilarwith", but I would like to think that they wouldn't just bend over like that. But then again, maybe I am expecting too much for a CoD dev?

Too late to edit my post now, so I am quoting myself instead.

After finally having the time to read over more of the thread, it appears that someone has already said this and all TC does is ask for a link.
Well here you go, TC.
http://community.callofduty.com/message/413264953#413264953

Title Update 7

Improvement to address "Host Disadvantage" / "Lag Compensation" that caused hosts with good connections to be hindered.

Plus ability to hot fix additional tweaks based on user feedback to this change.

Oh look, they mention it again...

Title Update 8

Networking enhancements.

Theater improvements and fixes.

Further improvements to "Host Disadvantage" / "Lag Comp."

Increased speed of YouTube uploads from 32k to 256k.

Nerf to all Akimbo weapons (reduced fire rate).

Shotgun re-balance (Slight nerf to Striker, slight buff to all other shotguns, bar the AA-12 and 1887).

Fix that prevents some users from not receiving their prestige token after prestiging.

Fix stat bug that retains "games played" stat across prestiges.

Removal of StealthnBomber radar visibility in Color Blind mode.

And again...

Title Update 19

Update to Face Off logic

Improvements to lag compensation

Now it's probably only a matter of time until TC just says one of the excuses, that I gave above in my, now quoted, post just simply to continue arguing. Because, just by reading his posts in this thread, he seems like one of those people who can't admit they were wrong, so they continue to argue until no one cares anymore.

---
Acceptance is the final stage to everything.
#94yaboyblizz24Posted 12/18/2012 12:49:16 PM
everyone who thinks lag comp is a myth has terrible internet! its people like you who most likely DIDNT enjoy mw2 and thought the first black ops was bad AFTER THEY FIXED the netcode! those same people enjoyed MW3 and thought that they were very skilled just like they do in this game. i tell those people to play local and see if you can soak up half a clip in your back turn around and still kill the person shooting you!

or better yet, if your bullets still manage to bend those corners! or if you can still start shooting me BEFORE you appear on my screen. play local and see if you even go positive because you'll enter the match with a FALSE sense of skill and confidence all to get crushed when the in game mechanics arent holding your hand! i can't beleive this is even a topic that hasnt been closed yet! WHERE ARE THE GAMEFAQS MODS
---
If YOU have to talk crap online to make YOURSELF feel better, then its obvious YOU have daddy issues! "sad face"
#95NarutoTaio(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 2:44:15 PM
yaboyblizz24 posted...
everyone who thinks lag comp is a myth has terrible internet! its people like you who most likely DIDNT enjoy mw2 and thought the first black ops was bad AFTER THEY FIXED the netcode! those same people enjoyed MW3 and thought that they were very skilled just like they do in this game. i tell those people to play local and see if you can soak up half a clip in your back turn around and still kill the person shooting you!

or better yet, if your bullets still manage to bend those corners! or if you can still start shooting me BEFORE you appear on my screen. play local and see if you even go positive because you'll enter the match with a FALSE sense of skill and confidence all to get crushed when the in game mechanics arent holding your hand! i can't beleive this is even a topic that hasnt been closed yet! WHERE ARE THE GAMEFAQS MODS

Someone's got issues

Every CoD has been fine overall.
MW3 sucked because of the in-game design

Your internet isn't that good, you're not experiencing anything other than being constantly owned by your opponent