Ceasefire Friday in honor of Newtown

#21ffgameman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 11:27:07 AM
KabtheMentat posted...
Why all the hate for just a simple gesture?

Do it, don't do it, whatever - but stopped acting like those who are doing it are idiots.

Because it's ignoring the larger issue. Which isn't video games, or guns, or violence in the media. It's crazy people not being called out before they go off the deep end.

I'm not ignoring the larger issues at all. This is just a small gesture - one day of not playing Call of Duty for me. One day.

I realize what the real issues are, but there isn't much I can do to change them. Our society's fascination with guns....a lack of parenting....lax gun laws. I can't change these things.

Pro football players honoring the victims on their helmets/shoes: that isn't changing anything, but it was a nice gesture by the players and the league. Same idea here.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature
#22PharoahPelicanPosted 12/18/2012 11:28:12 AM
ffgameman posted...
outlawstar289 posted...
Afghan_Whig777 posted...
This cease fire is moronic.

This is like the day of silence for that gay kid who was hung up on the gate, even though he was a little ***** that was murdered for drug related issues, he just happened to be gay

I'm sorry, but if you have kids, tell them how much you love them, not this idiotic form of protest/respect

this

What's it supposed to accomplish? "We don't think games cause violence but we're going to do this symbolic gesture that makes it look like we do"

It's similar to something a local gun shop owner did this past weekend. I'm sure as a gun aficionado he isn't placing most of the blame on guns - but he did close his shop for the weekend in respect of the victims.

How does that have anything to do with the victims? Using that logic I can do anything I want and say "it's for the Newtown victims" and it goes from being a standard, meaningless action into a selfless act of respect and honor. It's dumb.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#23theLongR0DPosted 12/18/2012 11:29:05 AM
This is like saying I won't wear boots on Friday to honor the Newtown tragedy. One has nothing to do with the other.
#24ffgameman(Topic Creator)Posted 12/18/2012 11:29:27 AM
Afghan_Whig777 posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

Do it, don't do it, whatever - but stopped acting like those who are doing it are idiots.

Because it's ignoring the larger issue. Which isn't video games, or guns, or violence in the media. It's crazy people not being called out before they go off the deep end.

Some of it still has to do with how much more we still need to understand psychological disorders and signs

Lets also not pretend the mother is so innocent, she had two weapons laying around the house. Why does a school teacher need TWO guns exactly?

A mother who WORKS with kids didn't see the signs of her troubled son? Sounds like bad parenting, but we don't know the whole story so I'll reserve my judgement for now

Are you referring to the fact the media said she was a teacher? That report was incorrect - she did not teach at Sandy Hook.

But, I agree - no reason for an individual to own that many weapons.
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ and are 100% proud of it put this as your signature
#25PharoahPelicanPosted 12/18/2012 11:32:52 AM
ffgameman posted...
KabtheMentat posted...

I'm not ignoring the larger issues at all. This is just a small gesture - one day of not playing Call of Duty for me. One day.

I realize what the real issues are, but there isn't much I can do to change them. Our society's fascination with guns....a lack of parenting....lax gun laws. I can't change these things.

Pro football players honoring the victims on their helmets/shoes: that isn't changing anything, but it was a nice gesture by the players and the league. Same idea here.

A public figure doing something publicly to honor the victims is good PR. You doing something in private that no one will know or care about is a meaningless gesture you are only doing to feel good about yourself because you think you're doing something. But you aren't doing something, you're doing nothing and because you say it's for them suddenly you can pat yourself on the back. If you want to do something for them pick a family and send them a care package or something, don't just sit in your room and pat yourself on the back for not playing CoD.
---
I do not aim with my hand, I aim with my eye. I do not shoot with my hand, I shoot with my mind. I do not kill with my gun, I kill with my heart.
#26SECRETSQUIRRRLPosted 12/18/2012 11:52:11 AM
WOW...so much hate...unreal. if the guy wants to do it for his own reasons, then NONE of us have the right to judge him, period.
#27fullmonty1984Posted 12/18/2012 11:59:19 AM
SquigglyJustice posted...
Innocent people die around the world everyday from firearms etc, and putting the controller down for this tragic incident isn't going to help the fact that people blame videogames for these things. Maybe try and do something a bit more pro active like sign petitions for more controlled gun laws.

This.

To the rest of you: HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! Captain Hindsight to the rescue!!
---
"Oh we're mandos, our combat prowess is second to none blah blah blah mandos make me horny"-WesJanson
#28bcon1208Posted 12/18/2012 12:01:21 PM
Well considering I'll be driving me and my wife to Missouri for Christmas that day, I think I will participate. On a serious note, it's honorable to do anything in your power to honor those hurt by this tragedy. Even something this simple, says so much.
---
Loading Post... [|||||||||||||||||||||||__] 85% Complete...
lIl Nemesis lIl
#29pauly_27Posted 12/18/2012 12:01:56 PM
As harsh as I'm going to sound, I simply don't care.

I'm sorry for those families loss, but this has nothing to do with me.
---
I'm too old to troll. Any opinion I give or advice I might offer is genuine.
#30heartherevengePosted 12/18/2012 12:03:09 PM
friday is usually madden day, but i think ill play COD for your cause
---
psn::heartherevenge
GT: heretherevenge