How the hell do one have fun losing?

#11chessmyantidrugPosted 1/2/2013 3:48:08 AM
curtland posted...
1. It IS just a game.
2. The times you do bad make the times you do good THAT much sweeter.
3. If doing poorly in a game pisses you off THAT much, you need to rethink your priorities or get counseling.
4. It IS just a game. I play cards and go bowling and go golfing with friends all the time and the objective isn't to WIN... it's to have fun.

It's really quite simple.

When you play well and still lose, it's frustrating. When I wasn't good at Call of Duty, I didn't care. Getting skill was one of the worst things I've ever done.
#12curtlandPosted 1/2/2013 3:52:46 AM
I've slowly but surely been getting better at the game myself.

I pretty much pull over a 1.0 k/d in every TDM I play. I know that isn't great to most "pros" on this board, but it's way better than I used to be.

If I have a REALLY good game and we don't win, I say "oh well, at least I did my best". If I have a bad one and we lose, I look at what I didn't do well and work to improve it. But it never angers me when I do poorly.

The only thing that ever really frustrates me occasionally in these games is a lack of teamwork.

Otherwise, what's to get so bent out of shape about?
---
Only idoits can't spell.
#13ACWWDUDE101Posted 1/2/2013 3:53:21 AM
Of course it is fun to win but for me, some of the best times on CoD have been while losing.

Playing S&D on MW2 with a full time of riot shields, great fun trapping players and generally goofing around.

Even though we lost a fair amount of times it was still fun!
#14rcommeePosted 1/2/2013 3:54:30 AM
chessmyantidrug posted...
curtland posted...
1. It IS just a game.
2. The times you do bad make the times you do good THAT much sweeter.
3. If doing poorly in a game pisses you off THAT much, you need to rethink your priorities or get counseling.
4. It IS just a game. I play cards and go bowling and go golfing with friends all the time and the objective isn't to WIN... it's to have fun.

It's really quite simple.

When I wasn't good at Call of Duty, I didn't care. Getting skill was one of the worst things I've ever done.

There's a lot of truth to this. I definitely wish I wasn't good at this or Halo sometimes, that way when my teammates are bad or I'm having a bad game I wouldn't care so much. When you're good, you have to keep being good just to be satisfied, it seems.

It's sort of bleak when you think about it..
---
(S) (I) (G) (N) (A) (T) (U) (R) (E)
#15Pyro-RoPosted 1/2/2013 3:57:28 AM
It really is just a game. I only get annoyed at losing if I'm the only one on my team doing any work or the only one with a +k/d. Otherwise I just relax and enjoy it.
Also annoying when you join halfway through a match and the other team is just spamming high end killstreaks cos they were playing noobs.

But overall, I dont care. I just play with friends or my brother and go with the flow.
#16GRTooCoolPosted 1/2/2013 3:59:06 AM
While it's no secret that everyone has that competitive fire somewhere in their souls, not everyone expresses it for a video game.

Everyone wants to do good and and win. They're lying if they say they don't want to win or at least try to get better in some way.

But you need to remember that not everyone is created equal. Some people are just naturally good, some people take a long time to get good, and some people may never be good at all. In the end, it shouldn't stop anyone from playing, so as long as they're having fun.

Which leads me to the point of the topic... I'm sure the people who lose, still have fun with the few games they end up winning. If they lost 100% of the time, I think they would definitely quit by now. But to some people, winning 25% of the time is good enough for them because after all, it is just a video game.
---
Anyone who supports DLC of any kind deserves a swift kick to the balls... repeatedly. Take a stand! Stop giving companies extra pocket money.
#17chessmyantidrugPosted 1/2/2013 4:03:42 AM
Pyro-Ro posted...
It really is just a game. I only get annoyed at losing if I'm the only one on my team doing any work or the only one with a +k/d. Otherwise I just relax and enjoy it.
Also annoying when you join halfway through a match and the other team is just spamming high end killstreaks cos they were playing noobs.

But overall, I dont care. I just play with friends or my brother and go with the flow.

I joined a game in progress and my team was down 32-16. I started out with a few stupid deaths, then I went on a little bit of a tear. I finished 62-7 and my team won 85-80. Games like that are why I stick around. One little Orbital VSAT changes everything.
#18High_WarlordPosted 1/2/2013 4:06:16 AM
If I'm playing solo, I can see where you're coming from.

But with friends, I can have fun when while losing. We will be cutting it up over chat and saying/doing stupid crap making ourselves, and each other, laugh. Hell, half the time if we lose, I don't even notice because I am having a blast.
---
A human mage, elf archer and dwarf warrior walk into a bar.
Now loading, please wait...
#19rcommeePosted 1/2/2013 4:07:42 AM
GRTooCool posted...
But to some people, winning 25% of the time is good enough for them because after all, it is just a video game.

In my experience, my friends that aren't so great at FPS but play them anyway usually try to find other things to take pride in rather than a good K/D. Things like going for the objectives 100%. Going 2-29 just to score a flag and happy to do it. So I imagine that's where the fun comes from.
---
(S) (I) (G) (N) (A) (T) (U) (R) (E)
#20Pyro-RoPosted 1/2/2013 4:08:54 AM
chessmyantidrug posted...
Pyro-Ro posted...

I joined a game in progress and my team was down 32-16. I started out with a few stupid deaths, then I went on a little bit of a tear. I finished 62-7 and my team won 85-80. Games like that are why I stick around. One little Orbital VSAT changes everything.

Thats fine if you're playing tdm but if you join a domination match and the enemy has 180 points and your team has 10 theres reason to be annoyed.

I swear thats the sole reason my w/l is so bad.