A good read for the "you care too much about your kd" kids and maybe all others

#31Governator00Posted 1/7/2013 10:47:34 PM(edited)
SnakeEyes170 posted...
Governator00 posted...
Sorry, taking games really seriously (unless you are actually good enough to go pro) is a waste of time. There is absolutely no benefit to the real world. No one is going to praise you for your high K/D ratio in the real world. Maybe someone will comment that you are good over the internet, that's it. It's like people attach self worth to being good at a video game, a completely useless skill. So instead of being focused on preserving your meaningless K/D ratio maybe you should just occasionally relax and stop having a nervous breakdown if your K/D goes below a 2.0.

Oh, and before you just call me terrible I'm not too bad. I have a 1.5 K/D, which isn't too bad compared to the average player I would say.

So is not taking them seriously. video games are a waste of time. you play them to kill time, kick back, and enjoy yourself. nobody will commend you for NOT taking them seriously either, and you won't even have the occasional person saying you're good over the internet.
you aren't on higher ground just because you don't take the game seriously, although this article mainly says that people who say "i play for fun" are just using it as an excuse because there are people better than them, that's also part of the point of the article.

In all seriousness though, it's more likely that a person who is good spends a lot more time playing the video game in order to get good. There are some people who are naturally good, but those are few and far between. Getting good takes practice for most people. Your average Call of Duty player just wants to have this "irrational" fun that the article is talking about after they get home from work. They don't have the time to get good because they are occupied with the real world most of the time. This is what a casual player is, it is not their fault that they are bad.
---
Nothings right with you if nothings wrong with you.
#3236thDisciplePosted 1/7/2013 10:51:59 PM
Entertaining, but ultimately flawed, and paired with the pic of the NFL quarterback, ultimately ridiculous. Self-destroys his entire argument with one picture.
---
www.bloodyknux.com
#33lderivedxPosted 1/7/2013 11:00:28 PM(edited)
Nerds

And that last governator post has to be one of the dumbest things ive read in a while.
#34NightHawkPWPosted 1/7/2013 11:24:38 PM
God I hate kids who play video games these days. Growing up when we had NES it was all about fun. We learned that video games were all about fun! Now these 15 and 16 punk brats think that the only game in existence IS Call Of Duty and you can only play it as long as your KDR is high. SMH
---
"I swear, I'm so pissed off at my mom. As soon as she's of age, I'm putting her in a home." ~ Brennan Huff
#35Governator00Posted 1/8/2013 6:23:06 AM
lderivedx posted...
Nerds

And that last governator post has to be one of the dumbest things ive read in a while.

Explain. You can't just say something is dumb without explaining why.
---
Nothings right with you if nothings wrong with you.
#36BeastlyIguanaPosted 1/8/2013 6:34:00 AM
Here's how I see it:

Person A takes the game seriously. Only enjoys playing when doing well, rages when going negative, sometimes even quits his games.

Person B doesn't care about going negative. Person B doesn't rage and eventually quit.

Which player has the most fun? You tell me.
---
Who the **** vacuums a window?
#37gwetmore4523Posted 1/8/2013 6:34:29 AM
To sum up the article for many of you that clearly didn't read or fully understand it:

So many people use "I play for fun" when someone is "bragging" about their K/D or doing well in a video game. While I'm sure you do "play for fun" I can guarantee that guy bragging about his K/D or his W/L or SPM is having fun at the same time otherwise they wouldn't be playing the game.
---
PSN - W3tm0G
XBL - xM0G
#38shinnok2k5Posted 1/8/2013 6:34:50 AM
Ignorant. as soon as he started his bro talk and using the word scrub he lost all validity. he is obviously stick in his own line of thought and won't change it. I really don't subscribe to the pay for fun school, because I am competitive, but I don't think k/d matters either. Partly because some people play objectives, and partly because hiding in corners padding your kd doesn't make you a good player. And granted not all people do that, but how do I know if you do or don't?. The only actual easy to evaluate someones skill is to play a few games with them.

Anyway, nice biased article. Not worth the read.
---
USA>Canada (people who agree:18 people who disagree:0)
"We live in a world of give and take, but not enough men are willing to give what it takes"
#39ish0turfac3Posted 1/8/2013 6:36:23 AM
Sounds like my friends... they hate it that they are not better than me. And make every excuse in the book when they do bad.
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
"Beef is evil chicken"
#40lderivedxPosted 1/8/2013 6:38:02 AM
Explain. You can't just say something is dumb without explaining why.

I can and I just did. I think the reasonable thing there would be to think "hey, maybe I said something obvious that he feels like it's self-evident," but that would require work on your part.

Your average Call of Duty player just wants to have this "irrational" fun that the article is talking about after they get home from work. They don't have the time to get good because they are occupied with the real world most of the time.

The average CoD player also won't care to justify their being bad by saying they "play for fun." The people you talk about here the author has no problem with, but you wind up demonizing the author and anyone that agrees with them by appealing to a group that is similar to (and thus can be mistaken with) the group in question in the article.

This is what a casual player is, it is not their fault that they are bad.

Yeah, it is. I've put maybe 300 hours into CoD over 5 years, and while I'm not a good player, I'm far from bad. That's 5 hours a month if you don't want to do the math. In order to be average, one could put in much less time. The majority of casual players have more than 3 hours a month to play, especially those who care enough to go online and justify their being bad by saying they "play for fun."
---
I was never aiming to be mature though. I was aiming to be right and dammit, I've got good aim. - MrSty GT: i derive dx