A good read for the "you care too much about your kd" kids and maybe all others

#51AkubarixPosted 1/8/2013 7:31:32 AM
SnakeEyes170 posted...

and people are naturally competitive. some people get a kick out of being better than other people at something, regardless of whether it's a sport or a video game.

No. Not everyone is competitive. Some people prefer games like Tetris. Some because its fun to simply play. Others to compete against other Tetris players. Not everyone plays it "to be teh 1337 winzorz".

However, arguing about K/D over a game like CoD is a lot like saying you're goal in life is to be the smartest kid with down syndrome.
---
"No man is invincible. Therefore, he cannot understand what it means to be invincible."
#52DougEInstructorPosted 1/8/2013 7:38:06 AM
Cornbread4life posted...
Ok fine, instead of saying I play for fun, I'll just tell the people who beat me and have 10 more DAYS of playtime than me that they are straight up no life losers. The article makes it seem like players who say that are saying it as a cop out or really mean it as an insult, but also assumes that people sugarcoat their insults on COD (which is obviously ridiculous). So fine, I won't say I play for fun, I'll just call the "competitive" people who beat me what they really are: losers with too much free time. Thanks article, you've inspired me to be a more direct a******.

What about people who beat you who have less playtime than you? I have a buddy that barely plays this game but he is just so naturally talented he gets at least a 3 k/d every game whenever he does play.
#53ish0turfac3Posted 1/8/2013 7:39:44 AM
I play for fun. And I am quite good.. what now kiddies?
---
GT: ish0turfac3 - Nintendo ID: ish0turfac3
"Beef is evil chicken"
#54Minjo26Posted 1/8/2013 7:49:26 AM
All I read was the headline and first paragraph so forgive me if the following is quick to judge:

I agree 100% that people who play competitively and take the game quite seriously are having more fun that people who think they are laid back and casual

BUT

Here is where your KD argument is very very wrong. First of all, the goal of the game is to win. I will argue this forever, but someone with a KDR of 1.25 and an SPM of 300 (in TDM let's say) is a much more valuable asset than someone who is 2.5 and has an SPM of 150. ALSO the combat record KDR means nothing.
First of all many players who actually try to do the objective are pretty much never gonna break a 2.0 KDR. And I couldn't care less if you have a 3.0 and camp the domination spawns all day.

The other reason I disagree with this a bit is for me to play my absolute best and most competitively, I would have to pretty much stick to only a few classes all the time.
However I prefer to try out all the weapon types, guns, perks, and do all the unlocks as opposed to playing competitively sometimes.
#55Cornbread4lifePosted 1/8/2013 7:51:22 AM
DougEInstructor posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
Ok fine, instead of saying I play for fun, I'll just tell the people who beat me and have 10 more DAYS of playtime than me that they are straight up no life losers. The article makes it seem like players who say that are saying it as a cop out or really mean it as an insult, but also assumes that people sugarcoat their insults on COD (which is obviously ridiculous). So fine, I won't say I play for fun, I'll just call the "competitive" people who beat me what they really are: losers with too much free time. Thanks article, you've inspired me to be a more direct a******.

What about people who beat you who have less playtime than you? I have a buddy that barely plays this game but he is just so naturally talented he gets at least a 3 k/d every game whenever he does play.

People who beat me with less playtime could have reset their stats. But I was being pretty sarcastic in that post, I mostly don't even play with a mic. It's more funny for everyone in the room (I have roommates who play on my name) to be able to hear people *****ing through the tv speakers.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
I'm loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and impaired by "substance abuse" 99% of the time. You've been warned.
#56GRTooCoolPosted 1/8/2013 8:00:28 AM
I didn't read that link. My eyes don't want to right now at 8 in the morning. I do want to say one thing though...

I was playing with a couple of friends last night. One of my friends, only seem to care about K/D ratio but puts up a front about caring for W/L ratio even more.

Well, we were winning 62-35 in Ground War KC. My friend was the only one doing bad, going 5-12. He raged quit despite our landslide score. All we had to say was... "Wow."
---
Anyone who supports DLC of any kind deserves a swift kick to the balls... repeatedly. Take a stand! Stop giving companies extra pocket money.
#57darkdragon_9600Posted 1/8/2013 8:28:59 AM
I can understand the idea of playing for fun, because all of us play for fun. What I don't understand is people who bring that up when someone mentions KD.

Yeah, you play for fun? Cool, so do I, but I'm not afraid to talk about my stats. They exist for me to keep track of how I'm doing, if I'm having a bad day or not, etc.

In the end, when I play a team game, I try to at least carry my own weight. If I want to mess around, I would head to party games or FFA or even Combat Training. Doing stuff is also fun, so that really is no excuse to do nothing on Dom or KC.

It's one thing to say you don't really care and still post your stats, good or bad. Another is to bring out the "I play for fun, you nerd" card.
---
Can I haz cheezburger?
#58supercoolisaacPosted 1/8/2013 8:34:28 AM
Cornbread4life posted...

If I did the same thing in basketball nobody'd bring up "no life" as an argument.

Omg you only can hit all of those three point shots in a row because you go down to the court and practice every day. You obviously have no life and if I put in that much time I'd be that good too.

Stay salty my friends.
---
"Persistence until excellence."
http://www.youtube.com/user/supercoolisaac
#59PsyborgasmPosted 1/8/2013 8:55:21 AM
My KDR is only 1.30 and I have fun. I know what its like to take stats seriously, but when you find important things in your life you begin to care more about having fun in games.
#60sethyboy0Posted 1/8/2013 9:14:37 AM
While I do find it a little funny that this article is posted on on a CoD board (since CoD is 90% luck), I do agree with it entirely.

I'll admit that I play games more casually than some other people (ADHD makes me switch games a lot), but I'll also admit that when I lose to a good player in TF2 or a good pilot in BF3 it's because they're better than me. When I lose to a vampire in vampirism it's usually because they know the game better than I, and when I don't get any early gold/gas it's because I'm too slow. I actually try to get better at the games that I play, and if I'm having trouble with some aspect of the game I research how to solve my problems before I run around shouting "OP OP OP!"