A good read for the "you care too much about your kd" kids and maybe all others

#71QualiTPosted 1/8/2013 10:39:59 AM
if im going to take up gaming as a hobby, I might as well be good at it and play hard.
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
http://i.imgur.com/FjisB.gif
#72Raging_AmishPosted 1/8/2013 10:43:36 AM
The article referenced is pretty much what I expected. The logic jumps are astounding.

The author automatically assumes people who are bad are the ones saying "I play casually."

A decent portion of the community is great at the game but has no desire to pursue the competitive avenue of gaming.

I know many gamers such as myself enjoy video games as a spare time hobby, but we recognize there is no real pay off for playing other than personal gratification. I live in America. This isn't South Korea. In said country video games have been accepted into the culture to a point where the best players are idolized by society.

I think that's the main source of "I play for fun". Players could care less how good other people are. The goal is to play in a fantasy reality for an hour while the wife's out shopping with girlfriends (or whatever the case may be). If an individual has fun, it's personal time well spent.

I'll leave you with this point. Being good at video games (in the US at least) is a lot like pleasuring yourself. End of the day, you may be good at it, but you're the only person who's going to care.
---
Reviewing Modern Warfare 3, One piece at a time
www.youtube.com/xxRagingAmishxx
#73Raging_AmishPosted 1/8/2013 10:45:29 AM
Hmm.....seems I haven't updated my sig in some time. Fix'd.
---
Reviewing Black Ops II, One piece at a time
www.youtube.com/xxRagingAmishxx
#74BrostachePosted 1/8/2013 10:56:19 AM
supercoolisaac posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
Ok fine, instead of saying I play for fun, I'll just tell the people who beat me and have 10 more DAYS of playtime than me that they are straight up no life losers. The article makes it seem like players who say that are saying it as a cop out or really mean it as an insult, but also assumes that people sugarcoat their insults on COD (which is obviously ridiculous). So fine, I won't say I play for fun, I'll just call the "competitive" people who beat me what they really are: losers with too much free time. Thanks article, you've inspired me to be a more direct a******.

If I did the same thing in basketball nobody'd bring up "no life" as an argument.

Omg you only can hit all of those three point shots in a row because you go down to the court and practice every day. You obviously have no life and if I put in that much time I'd be that good too.

Stay salty my friends.

Good point, and the guy with the world record for most consecutive free throws... is also a terrible basketball player. Never played college ball, or in the NBA. He just say around for hours on end making free throws... but if you told michael jordan that hes not as good of a basketball player because he has a lower free throw percentage... im sure he would laugh and call the guy a no lifer.

In halo 3 the highest KD in the game didnt belong to an MLG player, it belonged to some dude that just sat around corner camping with a shotgun in FFA... most people considered him a pretty bad player. It was only the little kids that care about their KD that thought he was super awesome sauce.
#75FaithInAllPosted 1/8/2013 11:01:28 AM
The way I see it is I play video games to pass the time and have fun. Getting good at a video game is fun so obviously while I'm wasting away my hours I'm hoping to at least be improving in my time spent. If you're good at something than chances are you'll be having more fun than the average joe who plays and doesn't care whether he wins or loses and has no interest in improving if he does.

Sometimes I'll get on and play a match in COD and tell myself to "not care" or "play for fun" but the truth is I'd be having a better time if I was performing well while in that mood. It still confuses me how anyone with a <1k/d can have fun in this game without having the will to improve...
#76Ichigo_UchihaPosted 1/8/2013 12:02:36 PM
Raging_Amish posted...
The article referenced is pretty much what I expected. The logic jumps are astounding.

The author automatically assumes people who are bad are the ones saying "I play casually."

A decent portion of the community is great at the game but has no desire to pursue the competitive avenue of gaming.

I know many gamers such as myself enjoy video games as a spare time hobby, but we recognize there is no real pay off for playing other than personal gratification. I live in America. This isn't South Korea. In said country video games have been accepted into the culture to a point where the best players are idolized by society.

I think that's the main source of "I play for fun". Players could care less how good other people are. The goal is to play in a fantasy reality for an hour while the wife's out shopping with girlfriends (or whatever the case may be). If an individual has fun, it's personal time well spent.

I'll leave you with this point. Being good at video games (in the US at least) is a lot like pleasuring yourself. End of the day, you may be good at it, but you're the only person who's going to care.

THANK YOU! This is exactly how I play, I mean seriously... If I lost at a game, oh well, I lost. that's it, good game. If you wanna call me a 'noob' because I couldn't kill you as many times as you did me, or a hacker or whatever because I finally killed you, go right ahead.

Back when I was playing GTA IV on a free-roaming online session a few years ago, a guy from the UK kept targerting me specifically in the military helicopter (forget what they call it in that game), and talking trash to me. Finally I lost him, managed to get one myself and went one-on-one with him. I won, and he started cussing at me, calling BS because I finally managed to kill him, calling me all sorts of names, and then left the session while me and the other guys were having fun. Yeah I died tons of times, but I really didn't care BECAUSE I was having fun.
---
"The world ends with you [...] push out your horizons as far as they'll go." - Sanae Hanekoma.
Org. XIII Name(s) - Reltyx/Xrelty
#77KiloMedaPosted 1/8/2013 12:34:52 PM
Raging_Amish posted...

This is exactly what the author of the blog was saying isn't it?

The author argues that when people say "I play for fun" they are inferring that people that are better at the game do not "play for fun." He argues that these more competitive people are indeed actually having fun and may even be having more fun.

He doesn't care what anyone does on their free time, or how anyone even plays their videogames. Remember, he is not talking about people that play games as their job.

video games (in the US at least) is a lot like pleasuring yourself. End of the day, you may be good at it, but you're the only person who's going to care.

Does this not also include people that are not good at videogames? You may play videogames less competitively, but at the end of the day, you're the only person who will care.

That is what I took from the whole article:
-If you are good or bad at videogames (non-pro) who else should care?
-If you are good or bad at basketball (non-pro) who else should care?
-Either way good and bad people have fun doing their hobbies, otherwise why would they spend so much time doing it?
-"I play for fun" is a stupid remark because it is already established that is what everyone is doing in the first place. By saying "I play for fun" you are attempting to distinguish yourself from everyone else in some way.

If someone at a park is playing basketball and says during a game "I only play for fun" they will get laughed at because it is stupid to announce that. EVERYONE is playing for fun, you are not special.

The same goes for videogames: Everyone is playing for fun. To say to anyone "I play for fun" means you are trying to distinguish yourself from everyone else in someway. The author of the article believes people are using "fun" as an excuse, because otherwise....why even say anything?
#78Ichigo_UchihaPosted 1/8/2013 12:53:30 PM(edited)
KiloMeda posted...
Raging_Amish posted...

This is exactly what the author of the blog was saying isn't it?

The author argues that when people say "I play for fun" they are inferring that people that are better at the game do not "play for fun." He argues that these more competitive people are indeed actually having fun and may even be having more fun.

He doesn't care what anyone does on their free time, or how anyone even plays their videogames. Remember, he is not talking about people that play games as their job.

video games (in the US at least) is a lot like pleasuring yourself. End of the day, you may be good at it, but you're the only person who's going to care.

Does this not also include people that are not good at videogames? You may play videogames less competitively, but at the end of the day, you're the only person who will care.

That is what I took from the whole article:
-If you are good or bad at videogames (non-pro) who else should care?
-If you are good or bad at basketball (non-pro) who else should care?
-Either way good and bad people have fun doing their hobbies, otherwise why would they spend so much time doing it?
-"I play for fun" is a stupid remark because it is already established that is what everyone is doing in the first place. By saying "I play for fun" you are attempting to distinguish yourself from everyone else in some way.

If someone at a park is playing basketball and says during a game "I only play for fun" they will get laughed at because it is stupid to announce that. EVERYONE is playing for fun, you are not special.

The same goes for videogames: Everyone is playing for fun. To say to anyone "I play for fun" means you are trying to distinguish yourself from everyone else in someway. The author of the article believes people are using "fun" as an excuse, because otherwise....why even say anything?

If you really read the article, word for word, you'd see underneath his words of "not trying to glorify" gamers like himself, and goes out of his way to disrespect casual gamers (not all of us say "I only play for fun", we compete too), while many "pro" gamers completely disrespect casuals at every turn, yet he says nothing about it.
---
"The world ends with you [...] push out your horizons as far as they'll go." - Sanae Hanekoma.
Org. XIII Name(s) - Reltyx/Xrelty
#79KiloMedaPosted 1/8/2013 12:50:21 PM
Also I would like to clarify some generalizations people appear to have:

All "better" or "competitive" players do not rage like some people seem to think. There are those people out there, but they are just a loud minority.

There are "Casual" COD players that play to win, lots of them. They bought an FPS to play online AGAINST other players where the goal is to win. If they all wanted to explore "virtual worlds" they would get an MMO or Minecraft. If they wanted to just shoot things, they would play the single player campaign or Borderlands 2. They intentionally chose a game where the goal is to beat another person on a competitive level.

Not all "casual" players will invest the time to get better and that is just fine.
#80T_r_a_m_PPosted 1/8/2013 12:53:17 PM
London 2012 Olympics, 100m final, we know its a two man race between Bolt and the Beast.......Annnnnd there off "Shelababahusdfybshdbubly Owwww Bolt winsssss" Lets get a chat to beast, will how does it feel to train so hard and lose, "Aww well, ye know, just do it for fun, man" And there you have it, he had fun people. Back to andy in the studio
---
Gamertag: BuSteD TramP
Ewgh thats gotta hurt!