Video Game addiction. I think i have a problem

#11BlueKnuxPosted 1/10/2013 9:20:27 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Silver17 posted...
Just because you don't wanna go out doesn't mean your an addict.

*being dead serious* You could be more of an introvert.

Just try to keep things in moderation, and try to make an attempt to go out on a weekend day more often...

This is what a friend of mine told me and i think its probably true. I just dont find too much joy in going out and acting all fake all the time

Then continue doing what you do. You said school and work aren't effected and I'm sure you see your friends at both. You're not addicted, you're just spending your leisure time the way you want to spend it. Nothing wrong with that.
---
"The normal make a living. The deranged make history." - Christopher Titus
"A conservative is a liberal that has never been mugged." - Julie, The Maxx
#12Valentino16Posted 1/10/2013 9:20:54 AM
Since people here are buttholes, they will probably make fun of you.

But I can sympathize, since I've had the same problem prior. My advice is to just sit down and really take into consideration what your priorities are.

Before I would turn down nights out with friends and just sit at home playing games all night, but I realized that no matter how lame your friends' plans are, the memories you make with them are priceless.

Sometimes I would choose gaming over going to the movies or dinner with my girlfriend, and I realized that she is, and always will be, a billion times more important to me than some stupid video game which I can play at any time.

Just create a gaming schedule for yourself. I limit myself to about an hour or two before sleep, every other day, unless I have plans. I also have other hobbies and stuff, such as playing guitar and bass, and I know that I will benefit more from spending time doing that, instead of unlocking fake achievements and getting a highscore in a game that will soon be irrelevant and forgotten.

boom. life lessons.
---
GT: TheMasterTee
"Geronimo!"
#13Andrew_RyannPosted 1/10/2013 9:20:58 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Silver17 posted...

Just try to keep things in moderation, and try to make an attempt to go out on a weekend day more often...

This is what a friend of mine told me and i think its probably true. I just dont find too much joy in going out and acting all fake all the time

You're the same as me...you just don't like going out, and there's nothing wrong with that. The only thing you have to do is provide for yourself, and you already said school and work aren't a prob. Everything is just free time; use it how you want, not how society tells you you should.
#14Teh_5_Starz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:24:30 AM
Cornbread4life posted...
4 days isn't terrible. The games been out for two months already right? That's an average of about an hour and a half a day.

Yeah, but thats only cause ive had to juggle school and work. Now, my semester is over and the next one starts on the 28 (day before revolution, WTF) and my job was seasonal so they let me go.

Since Christmas, i have been gaming pretty much non stop. This is why i see a problem
---
GT: Teh 5 Star
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dlc-the-mega64/719525
#15Teh_5_Starz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:26:45 AM
Valentino16 posted...
Since people here are buttholes, they will probably make fun of you.

But I can sympathize, since I've had the same problem prior. My advice is to just sit down and really take into consideration what your priorities are.

Before I would turn down nights out with friends and just sit at home playing games all night, but I realized that no matter how lame your friends' plans are, the memories you make with them are priceless.

Sometimes I would choose gaming over going to the movies or dinner with my girlfriend, and I realized that she is, and always will be, a billion times more important to me than some stupid video game which I can play at any time.

Just create a gaming schedule for yourself. I limit myself to about an hour or two before sleep, every other day, unless I have plans. I also have other hobbies and stuff, such as playing guitar and bass, and I know that I will benefit more from spending time doing that, instead of unlocking fake achievements and getting a highscore in a game that will soon be irrelevant and forgotten.

boom. life lessons.

Well written
---
#16Andrew_RyannPosted 1/10/2013 9:26:59 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
4 days isn't terrible. The games been out for two months already right? That's an average of about an hour and a half a day.

Yeah, but thats only cause ive had to juggle school and work. Now, my semester is over and the next one starts on the 28 (day before revolution, WTF) and my job was seasonal so they let me go.

Since Christmas, i have been gaming pretty much non stop. This is why i see a problem

Why is it a problem?
#17FaithInAllPosted 1/10/2013 9:28:40 AM
Doesn't sound like much of an addiction by the way you describe it tbh. I had it way worse back when I was in my sophomore of highschool. It affected my work for the worse and I turned down a lot of requests to go out and simply grinded out the prestiges in mw2 (making it the only COD game where I reached max level). Shortly after I went to completing the challenges and just get as close to 100% done as I could with that game. That kind of gaming really pushed me to the point where shortly after, around the start of my junior year, I couldn't play games for more than 30mins a session because I just got plain sick of it and I also got really fat lol

Personally, I think of it as more of a phase. Eventually you'll probably get to the point where you won't want to play as much and than be able to find a healthy medium of your gaming/social life. I really just had to get my priorities straight and noticed that in the end, friendships take you a lot further in life than your stats in videogame do. Nowadays, I'm able to enjoy gaming again without having 5-10hr play sessions and make sure to at least go out with friends once a week.
#18Cornbread4lifePosted 1/10/2013 9:29:27 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Cornbread4life posted...

Do you toke? If so, you might want to put a damper on it. I know I have a lot less patience to sit and play games if I take a break from smoking, all of a sudden I'm antsy and want to get out of the house. For me, smoking creates my gaming addiction, which sucks but at the same time I know how to get rid of it.
---
GT: Cornbread4life
I'm loud, obnoxious, vulgar, and impaired by "substance abuse" 99% of the time. You've been warned.
#19Silver17Posted 1/10/2013 9:29:34 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Silver17 posted...

If you feel like you are "forcing yourself" to go out, then you probably have some introverted traits in you. How much, who knows?

In the end - Some people like going out more than others. Everybody is different.

Being dead serious, I wouldn't worry too much about it...
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#20Teh_5_Starz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:47:06 AM
Cornbread4life posted...
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Cornbread4life posted...

Do you toke? If so, you might want to put a damper on it. I know I have a lot less patience to sit and play games if I take a break from smoking, all of a sudden I'm antsy and want to get out of the house. For me, smoking creates my gaming addiction, which sucks but at the same time I know how to get rid of it.

Yeah, but not for gaming. That's something i do with others
---