Video Game addiction. I think i have a problem

#21Kovalchuk_Posted 1/10/2013 9:50:17 AM
Break the disc, real gamers are too lazy to go to the store, problem solved.

When I went on a diet I removed all the crap food from my house so I had no access to it, eventually I lost my craving for it.
#22Hardcore74LeoPosted 1/10/2013 9:52:59 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
4 days isn't terrible. The games been out for two months already right? That's an average of about an hour and a half a day.

Yeah, but thats only cause ive had to juggle school and work. Now, my semester is over and the next one starts on the 28 (day before revolution, WTF) and my job was seasonal so they let me go.

Since Christmas, i have been gaming pretty much non stop. This is why i see a problem

You're 19? School is on break, no girlfriend, no job....what else are you gonna do lol?

While I do think that you should occasionally step out with your friends, shoot go grab lunch or dinner with them. Catch a movie or something. I don't personally see a problem with your situation as I live a similar one, but I work full time while my friends are all in school. So I don't get to see my friends to often, I fill the time in by gaming. Or I catch up with them when they are on the same time as me. But we do still get together outside of the virtual world.

now, if you feel going out with your friends involves you being fake all the time, the thing you should be doing is looking at those you call friends. You shouldn't have to be fake around your real friends. Maybe that's why you don't have an issue with not seeing them.

I will say though, you shouldn't let your relationships with those that are close to you die out for a game that will always be there.
#23Teh_5_Starz(Topic Creator)Posted 1/10/2013 9:53:21 AM
FaithInAll posted...
Doesn't sound like much of an addiction by the way you describe it tbh. I had it way worse back when I was in my sophomore of highschool. It affected my work for the worse and I turned down a lot of requests to go out and simply grinded out the prestiges in mw2 (making it the only COD game where I reached max level). Shortly after I went to completing the challenges and just get as close to 100% done as I could with that game. That kind of gaming really pushed me to the point where shortly after, around the start of my junior year, I couldn't play games for more than 30mins a session because I just got plain sick of it and I also got really fat lol

Personally, I think of it as more of a phase. Eventually you'll probably get to the point where you won't want to play as much and than be able to find a healthy medium of your gaming/social life. I really just had to get my priorities straight and noticed that in the end, friendships take you a lot further in life than your stats in videogame do. Nowadays, I'm able to enjoy gaming again without having 5-10hr play sessions and make sure to at least go out with friends once a week.

Thats cool. Glad to hear that.

I just feel in Highschool, its a different story u know? Its not like theres much else u could be doing. I live in brooklyn NY, a teenager out on the streets is just trouble waiting to happen.
---
GT: Teh 5 Star
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dlc-the-mega64/719525
#24Silver17Posted 1/10/2013 9:53:44 AM
Kovalchuk_ posted...

When I went on a diet I removed all the crap food from my house so I had no access to it, eventually I lost my craving for it.

Gamers are too lazy to go to the store huh? Interesting?

I disagree, IMO lazy people are too lazy to go to the store.

Just because you are a gamer doesn't mean that you are lazy... <_<
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#25Hardcore74LeoPosted 1/10/2013 9:55:05 AM
Silver17 posted...
Kovalchuk_ posted...

A real gamer goes to the store often to see what's there and what they want to play lol.
#26Kovalchuk_Posted 1/10/2013 9:56:37 AM
Silver17 posted...
Kovalchuk_ posted...

Yes correct. I just like to assume that most gaming addicts are fat and lazy.

Yay for assumptions!
#27Silver17Posted 1/10/2013 9:56:59 AM
Hardcore74Leo posted...
Silver17 posted...
Kovalchuk_ posted...

A real gamer goes to the store often to see what's there and what they want to play lol.

^ lol... :)
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#28POWERSLAVE_815Posted 1/10/2013 10:08:02 AM
Valentino16 posted...
Since people here are buttholes, they will probably make fun of you.

But I can sympathize, since I've had the same problem prior. My advice is to just sit down and really take into consideration what your priorities are.

Before I would turn down nights out with friends and just sit at home playing games all night, but I realized that no matter how lame your friends' plans are, the memories you make with them are priceless.

Sometimes I would choose gaming over going to the movies or dinner with my girlfriend, and I realized that she is, and always will be, a billion times more important to me than some stupid video game which I can play at any time.

Just create a gaming schedule for yourself. I limit myself to about an hour or two before sleep, every other day, unless I have plans. I also have other hobbies and stuff, such as playing guitar and bass, and I know that I will benefit more from spending time doing that, instead of unlocking fake achievements and getting a highscore in a game that will soon be irrelevant and forgotten.

boom. life lessons.

Wow this hit home real hard. I have 2 kids that I feel just grew up out of nowhere. I'm not saying I'm not there for them but I think of all the hours I've spent playing and I think of how much more fun i could've had if i would have spent that time with them. I've been married for almost 7 years and we've been together for almost 10 and she's been so patient with me. I don't have many friends either, honestly, maybe just coworkers and family and I don't go out either so gaming has always been a part of my life. I'm 25 and I feel like I've been locked away for so long and life has passed me by.
#29AWarAmp84Posted 1/10/2013 10:11:28 AM
I don't think your problem is as bad as you think. You seem to still have your priorities straight, you just need to cut down(not give up) on the XBOX playing. And I'll be honest with you, most women arent looking for a guy who plays all night every night so if you're looking for a women, you're gonna want to tone it down a little until you get comfortable with each other. My fiancÚ accepts the fact that I love gaming on a near everyday basis but this didn't come without some compromise on my part. I can play for a couple hours every night so long as I spend time with her before and after I play and stick to a deadline. I also cook and clean when need be.

You also have to remember that the people you play with aren't actually real friends unless you know them in real life outside of video games. This may be a tough pill to swallow if you've just had a good time playing a session with them but its true, they won't help you when you're in need or be at your wedding, ect.

My advise to you would be to NOT put video games before real life friends, believe me, I've done it and I now regret it. Instead, start by limiting your play time and sticking to your deadline. Then try only playing on Friday nights and doing something different on Saturday nights. You know what I mean? Start small. If a person can give up smoking cigarette after 25 years, you can do this no problem. Good luck.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect and really think about what you're about to write.
#30patkelly929Posted 1/10/2013 10:21:45 AM
Teh_5_Starz posted...
Silver17 posted...
Just because you don't wanna go out doesn't mean your an addict.

*being dead serious* You could be more of an introvert.

Just try to keep things in moderation, and try to make an attempt to go out on a weekend day more often...

This is what a friend of mine told me and i think its probably true. I just dont find too much joy in going out and acting all fake all the time

Simply said solution, but harder to act on. Don't act fake when you go out. Your friends want you to hang out with them, and they like you for who you are. Act like you around your friends in a social setting, and it will flow into the whole crowd. If you can't act like you around your friends, then they aren't going to know who you are.

Talk to people about your interests, and this can include CoD. Just don't make conversation all about CoD. Bowling was something that my friends and I did a lot in college, when we weren't playing video games. Keeps that desire for winning something there without having to play games. Wiffleball was another. None of us were particularly good at sports, we just played games and got outside.

If they want you to go drinking, and you don't want to, you don't have to. I didn't drink until I was 22, spring semester of my senior year of college. I still would hang out with my friends when they were drinking, I just said "No, thanks."

Funny story. There was one time soon after college I went out to dinner with my girlfriend to a hibachi grill, and we met this other group of girls who were younger than us (early college years). We all got along, and one of them said "She's lucky. Where do I find a guy like you at the party? That's the kind of guy I would want to meet." My response, "He wouldn't be there. And, if he was at the party, he wouldn't be drinking."
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever