Video Game addiction. I think i have a problem

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Video Game addiction. I think i have a problem

User Info: Teh_5_Starz

Teh_5_Starz
4 years ago#31
Wow, i'm loving the vibe of this topic. Thanks to everyone who contributed so far. I feel i have learned alot
GT: Teh 5 Star
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/dlc-the-mega64/719525

User Info: colma919

colma919
4 years ago#32
Atleast you didn't do this with WoW...oh the regrets
GamerTag: ChiefWiggum119

User Info: spacecowboy44

spacecowboy44
4 years ago#33
first of all...video games should nvr come before real life....second i have a buddy with 8 days played and maxed prestige...so you arent as bad as you think
---Playing Hardcore with me is like quail hunting with Dick Cheney.

User Info: JanwayDaahl

JanwayDaahl
4 years ago#34
OP try to think of it in terms of rates. Playing cod BO will only give you instrumental happiness to a certain level.

Overplaying it (no moderation) will mean that it affects your social life, and that is never good. Try to bite the bitter pill of moderation once in a while. Take a break for a few days, hang out with friends, take a walk outside... these things really do refresh you. I know the temptation to game non-stop, but the happiness achieved by any type of gaming is pretty marginal after a certain amount of time (for me, 4-5 hours).
I do not support homosexuality in any way.

User Info: TheRisingSon

TheRisingSon
4 years ago#35
I'd recommend going out at least once a week if you have a problem with your social life. You'll never know what people or experiences you'll miss if you don't go out.

I have a great social life, a gorgeous fiancée and I play black ops 2 a lot anyway. Usually after work during the week though I've been consciously limiting the time I play so as not to suddenly find myself awake at 4:00am and still playing (which has happened a few times already).

User Info: Fvlakng

Fvlakng
4 years ago#36
My take on this is a little radical. I am married and To be honest I have had a few arguments over COD playing time with the wife, and I have to say nothing in excess is good for you, even fun stuff. After playing BLOPS 1, I decided to skip COD every other year, and it's working better. I share your love for the game, and I too feel like playing non stop (I'm prestige 9 lvl 39, almost 9 days played). What I liked about skipping a year is that you not only have more time for life itself, but also, as a gamer, you have more time for other games. On a COD year, I just don't play anything else, don't watch too many movies, don't play with other devices, it's just COD day and night. I'm 36 btw

User Info: ThisIsMithos

ThisIsMithos
4 years ago#37
I've felt addicted to games my whole life, probably because my parents pretty much sat me in front of a PS1 when I was around 7 to sort of act as a babysitter. Well, I'll be 23 in July, and I'm still into games. In fact, I sold EVERY game (minus one N64 game) a few months ago to see if I could handle life without gaming.

Having said that...the past few weeks, I mass purchased Gamecube and Wii games, as well as consoles for both.

I don't know about you guys, but I am sort of a perfectionist. I don't know if it's from gaming or what, but my mind thinks in black and white, never a gray area. What I mean is, I have an all or nothing mentality. If I didn't play a game for a while, I'd want to sell it. And if I go shopping for clothes, I buy everything I need at once, not just one thing.

My point is, one of my weaknesses has been finding that healthy moderation. That I can enjoy games AND go out from time to time, and still exercise and eat healthy and enjoy life.

------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR ---V

I don't know if this fits the bill for anyone, but I've found myself taking extremes. Remember, most things in moderation are perfectly fine. Just make sure what you do has a purpose and you do it in accordance with your priorities.

User Info: Double O Negro

Double O Negro
4 years ago#38
Sounds to me like you just want a GF... That's easily fixed just got to get outside and not be afraid to strike out every now and then. Games are for fun, I play rather than just veg out all day and watch TV when I've got nothing to do. Hell if you're lucky like me you'll find a GF that will feed your "addiction".
"Dont blame me, blame yourself or your God!!" -Delita(Final Fantasy Tactics)

User Info: BruceWayneJr

BruceWayneJr
4 years ago#39
Me too, dude. Plus cocaine and alcohol.

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
4 years ago#40
The bottom line is, Xbox friends are not the same as real friends. Being good at videogames is NOT a turn on for women. I can only hope you realize these facts sooner rather than later. I've been on Xbox live longer than most(8-9years) and believe me when I tell you, don't take your real life friends/girlfriend for granted. Gaming is supposed to be a hobby, not your life. Play a couple hours a night during the week and actually go out on Friday/Saturday night. That's what I do and it's cool with the fiancé. Happy wife=happy life.
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect and really think about what you're about to write.
  1. Boards
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops II
  3. Video Game addiction. I think i have a problem

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived