Why do people claim that bad players use the best tactics and weapons?

#1ThisIsMithosPosted 1/18/2013 10:45:57 PM
It seems popular on this board to use bad weapons as a way to solidify skill. The thing is, every level of players uses every weapon to some degree. If you beat a bad player with your bad weapon, that doesn't prove anything.

If you beat a great player with a bad weapon, it just means you're gimping yourself. I'm not suggesting everyone go out and use the best weapons every match, of course the game is about fun. But when we're talking skill, that's when everyone matches up using the best weapons and equipment and squaring off.

If you feel great for doing well with an underpowered weapon, good for you. Just remember you aren't testing your absolute skill, and you really aren't testing yourself against the real meta game.

/random
#2chessmyantidrugPosted 1/18/2013 10:52:02 PM
Not sure what you're getting at. "Best" weapon comes down to preference. My "best" weapon in Modern Warfare 3 was the CM901. It was far from the best weapon in the game, yet I played my best with it. The Commando wasn't the best weapon in Black Ops, but I played far better with it than the Famas or AK74u. No one is gimping theirself by using a weapon with which they play well.
#3greatmario3Posted 1/18/2013 10:53:31 PM
chessmyantidrug posted...
Not sure what you're getting at. "Best" weapon comes down to preference. My "best" weapon in Modern Warfare 3 was the CM901. It was far from the best weapon in the game, yet I played my best with it. The Commando wasn't the best weapon in Black Ops, but I played far better with it than the Famas or AK74u. No one is gimping theirself by using a weapon with which they play well.

So the Executioner is the "best" weapon for some people out there, lol.
---
PSN ID: Dominic935
"They look like monsters to you?" - Vincent
#4ICantNameGudPosted 1/18/2013 10:55:20 PM
Didn't read IP, to respond to the title:

Most "n00b" players go say 16-14 or negative (even <.6?) using the -best- tactics. Many of them will have 2-3k more kills with(PDW,MSMC/FAL/MP7) even though they suck in-game, EVEN THOUGH they might have a better KD than someone like me who uses everything.

Why? Some youtuber said so.
---
Inb4/MadAndBad, inb4/UrMissingTehPoint, inb4/PostUrGT
#5GreatTroySenseiPosted 1/18/2013 10:57:11 PM
It's less about any measure of skill and more about being upset seeing that someone has 20,000 kills with whatever gun was declared top tier a week in, and kills in the hundreds with any other.

That's not a case of a preference - it's a case of bad players trying to abuse the system. Most of the time they're still bad - running to a single part of the map each spawn, spraying wildly down corridors, etc.

Likewise, if I get flanked, trapped or otherwise stomped intelligently, I don't blame the gun. I got outplayed. It's actually interesting to see that happen.
---
These are like, third dimension glasses, you know? They don't really work, though because I feel like I'm still seeing stuff in whatever dimension we live in.
#6chessmyantidrugPosted 1/18/2013 10:58:29 PM
greatmario3 posted...

So the Executioner is the "best" weapon for some people out there, lol.

Two words: sample size. I had about 1500 more kills with the ACR than CM901, but I think 2683 kills is enough to say I used the CM901 rather extensively. My highest weapon KD in Modern Warfare 3 was 2 with the AS50, but I only had two kills with it.
#7Astro_B0mbPosted 1/18/2013 11:00:02 PM
Because half the people in any given lobby have sub 1.5 kd with atleast 3 SMGs in their top 5.
---
.:The Elite Connection:.
#8chessmyantidrugPosted 1/18/2013 11:04:05 PM
Astro_B0mb posted...
Because half the people in any given lobby have sub 1.5 kd with atleast 3 SMGs in their top 5.

My KD is below 1.5 and my most-used SMG is the PDW-57 with 221 kills. I don't see your point.
#9ThisIsMithos(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 11:08:37 PM

I would say the best weapons are subjective to the best players, which I highly doubt any of us are. There are usually only one to three "top tier" guns in each game that can be tailored to certain people's play styles and personalities.

I mean, a quickscoper's best weapon would be a sniper rifle. A shotgun main would choose a shotgun. Someone who likes quick shoot 'em up action might choose an SMG. I'm not talking about casual play. We're talking the meta game here.

If you watch some of the best players, you will quickly realize they are limited to several weapons. It's just like any competition: There's a little wiggle room for preference, but for the most part, that is a specific science to being successful. And in addition to technique, skill and tactics are using the best materials.
#10ThisIsMithos(Topic Creator)Posted 1/18/2013 11:12:53 PM
Also, allow me to word the title differently. I don't mean to ask why people claim that anyone who is bad always uses the best tactics and weapons. Rather, I'm asking why people claim that people who use the best tactics and weapons are bad for doing so. I can see how the wording was a little ambiguous.