Why do people claim that bad players use the best tactics and weapons?

#11Astro_B0mbPosted 1/18/2013 11:16:39 PM
chessmyantidrug posted...
Astro_B0mb posted...
Because half the people in any given lobby have sub 1.5 kd with atleast 3 SMGs in their top 5.

My KD is below 1.5 and my most-used SMG is the PDW-57 with 221 kills. I don't see your point.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news...
---
.:The Elite Connection:.
#12possessionPosted 1/18/2013 11:21:45 PM
It's not really difficult. There are weapons that outclass others. The complaints come in when someone does nothing but talk **** while spamming one of said guns. Yet, when you pry that gun from their hands, they can't do anywhere near as well. Then it is suddenly a lag issue, or some such bs.

The bottom line is, if you are good, you are going to be good no matter what gun you use. When you need what is considered to be a noob gun to do well, you are not as good as you think.
---
Games that need a new entry: Nightmare Creatures, Fear Effect, Gungrave, BloodRayne, Mirror's Edge
#13ICantNameGudPosted 1/18/2013 11:24:10 PM
ThisIsMithos posted...
Also, allow me to word the title differently. I don't mean to ask why people claim that anyone who is bad always uses the best tactics and weapons. Rather, I'm asking why people claim that people who use the best tactics and weapons are bad for doing so. I can see how the wording was a little ambiguous.

I only feel that way if they are master prestige using "tryhard" set-ups, or obvious lvl55-lifers with say a gold (read:no diamond) gun that has thousands more kills than # 2 used weapon.

They could be better than me, but that's even sadder because they're afraid to challenge themselves. Also I'm a scrub and what is CoD?
---
Inb4/MadAndBad, inb4/UrMissingTehPoint, inb4/PostUrGT
#14tgoudyPosted 1/18/2013 11:41:54 PM
"only bad players use the target finder/remington/smgs/fal with select fire".

We've seen the topics time and time again. Some precious snowflake is butt hurt because he or she has chosen to not use one of the more effective setups in the game while someone on the other team doesn't share the same hipster mentality and wrecked him with one of them.

So, the person comes on here and whines.

Logically, we know that using one of those doesn't automatically make a player bad. Most of the complainers don't take the time to search every combat record to see if the player has success with other setups. We know there are good players that use all of those things. But it somehow makes them feel better to disparage the other person's play so they don't have to admit someone bettered them.

Look, I get shying away from overused things. It's nice to be different. And I certainly tend to be more impressed, for example, if someone kills me with the ksg verses the 870. That doesn't mean the 870 user is bad. He might be, I've never cared enough to check. But if he is, what does that say about me? It's not his fault I chose not to use the better weapon, is it?
#15chessmyantidrugPosted 1/18/2013 11:49:29 PM
ThisIsMithos posted...
I would say the best weapons are subjective to the best players, which I highly doubt any of us are. There are usually only one to three "top tier" guns in each game that can be tailored to certain people's play styles and personalities.

I mean, a quickscoper's best weapon would be a sniper rifle. A shotgun main would choose a shotgun. Someone who likes quick shoot 'em up action might choose an SMG. I'm not talking about casual play. We're talking the meta game here.

If you watch some of the best players, you will quickly realize they are limited to several weapons. It's just like any competition: There's a little wiggle room for preference, but for the most part, that is a specific science to being successful. And in addition to technique, skill and tactics are using the best materials.

I'm not claiming to be the best player, but I still don't see your point. Weapons don't make a player good.

Astro_B0mb posted...

Bear all the bad news you want. My KD is below 1.5 and my top seven weapons are assault rifles. My top six weapons by KD are assault rifles. Your point is invalid.
#16ThisIsMithos(Topic Creator)Posted 1/19/2013 12:27:39 PM
chessmyantidrug posted...
ThisIsMithos posted...
I would say the best weapons are subjective to the best players, which I highly doubt any of us are. There are usually only one to three "top tier" guns in each game that can be tailored to certain people's play styles and personalities.

I mean, a quickscoper's best weapon would be a sniper rifle. A shotgun main would choose a shotgun. Someone who likes quick shoot 'em up action might choose an SMG. I'm not talking about casual play. We're talking the meta game here.

If you watch some of the best players, you will quickly realize they are limited to several weapons. It's just like any competition: There's a little wiggle room for preference, but for the most part, that is a specific science to being successful. And in addition to technique, skill and tactics are using the best materials.

I'm not claiming to be the best player, but I still don't see your point. Weapons don't make a player good.

Astro_B0mb posted...

Bear all the bad news you want. My KD is below 1.5 and my top seven weapons are assault rifles. My top six weapons by KD are assault rifles. Your point is invalid.

The point is simple. A lot of people (good players apparently) feel the need to use inferior weapons to show their macho, because they're "above" using "OP" weapons. This is just stupidity.

A weapon doesn't make a player good, but the best weapon makes a player their best. If you want to gimp yourself in the name of fun or screwing around, so be it. Just don't complain when you lose to a player of equal skill because you decided to bring a stick to a sword fight.

Oh, and I was going to say "bring a knife to a gun fight," but sadly, in CoD, that's actually effective at times.
#17garcia_jxPosted 1/19/2013 12:52:27 PM
I great player will only use a knife with no perks. That is how you know you are a good player. If it was possible, I would only use my fist. Weapons are for noobs and bad players.
#18VoodooDogPosted 1/19/2013 12:55:46 PM
Who cares? Some days I feel like camping a sniper rifle, other days I run around with an smg or a noob tube. I'm not the best cod player in the world, never will be. Rarely the best in the random lobbies I join. I don't quit at the end of the match and I don't worry about lag comp or the "meta" game. I don't even know what that is.

My win/loss is .97, my kdr is 1.25 and my spm is 298. All sucky stats according to the 1337sters.

And I have a blast!

Peeps need to lighten up and stop acting like they're playing for a COD contract.
---
when popularity fades, the truth will remain...
#19Foxx3kPosted 1/19/2013 12:58:59 PM
Well, your post seems to imply that there is a level of skill required in this game. I mostly disagree. The game is like 70% connection, 29% luck, and 1% knowing which thumbstick moves and which trigger fires.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#20ThisIsMithos(Topic Creator)Posted 1/20/2013 12:13:34 AM
Foxx3k posted...
Well, your post seems to imply that there is a level of skill required in this game. I mostly disagree. The game is like 70% connection, 29% luck, and 1% knowing which thumbstick moves and which trigger fires.

Obviously skill is required, just like in any game. It's called a game because it doesn't involve 100% luck, meaning there's a purpose for trying, because your skill (among other things) can aid you.

People like you exaggerate to stupid extremes. I realize it doesn't require as much skill as a sport, and that connections and playing in parties play a huge role. But obviously skill is involved. You can't tell me a soccer mom with no video game experience can hop in a game and go 50-0. Good grief. Take another math class, because your grasp on statistics is horrendous on a good day.