This game has terrible reviews.

#71PraetorXynPosted 1/29/2013 3:22:50 PM
Many great GAMES, yes.

Many great Multiplayer FPS's, no.

As I said, there hasn't been a good one since Unreal Tournament 2004 (Unreal Tournament 3 was ****). Gears of War is fun for a while but after the uniqueness of the weapons wears off It just becomes a coverfest with several people on each time running around and one-shotting each other with shotguns.
#72SAMCROftwPosted 1/29/2013 3:24:54 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#73ValedictorianXDPosted 1/29/2013 3:30:27 PM
The problem with some of the thinking here is that people are trying to objectively judge video games, which is incredibly tough to do even if you have loads of experience and the right kind of knowledge under your belt. You see, some of us want to think that Call of Duty sucks because of the way Activision handles the series and the given target audience of the game. However, that being noted, what about supposedly "good" games that open up to poorer sales?

Call of Duty, a supposedly bad game series, opens up to stellar critic reviews and record-setting sales.

Braid, a supposedly good game, opens up to slightly better reviews; however, the sales are relatively dismal compared to CoD. This is despite the fact that the game itself is supposedly better and cheaper.

Now, I'm not saying that sales dictate everything but let's look at things from a logical point of view. People want better things. The hindrance to getting better things is typically the cost or knowledge of these things' existence. Braid was an excellent game released at a cheap price and it would later go on to get accolades everywhere and be spoken of by gamers as some piece of gaming royalty. So, why isn't this game just hitting the ball out of the park? Simple. Lots of people just don't like the game.

Now, we get into an interesting little debacle: audience. If the CoD series sucks but it gets ridiculous sales, then that must mean that the gamers who buy the games have no taste. They are inferior gamers. Then, that would leave the few superior gamers to buy and enjoy Braid. Typically, this is what most of these "CoD is bad" discussions are going to end up being. You play the game because you have no taste in games. Seems elitist, right? I agree.

How about we try this theory instead: CoD is released to a certain target audience. That particular audience appreciates the game for what it is. If you aren't in the target audience, you aren't going to enjoy the game. Likewise, if I released a rap album and you despise rap, you probably won't like the album. However, you love the hell out of classical music. Does this mean that classical music is better than rap music? Well, perhaps there are some elements of music that can be judged objectively like there are in video games, but one genre cannot ultimately be said to be better than another. Likewise, no game can ultimately be said to be better than another.

There are just too many factors (many that are subjective) to actually give a definitive answer. Basically, what I am saying is that the quality of a game is almost entirely opinion-based. You're going to look like a fool if you try to argue it objectively because objectivity only counts for so much.

Is Black Ops 2 a terrible game? For me, yes. For plenty of shooter enthusiasts out there? No. That's the appropriate response to make.

This is what I'll usually end up seeing and even I'm guilty of it from time to time:
Is Chrono Trigger one of the best ****ing games to ever grace the planet? For me, yes. For fools who consider Skyrim, a game where you are essentially a glorified errand boy, to be the "best rpg ever"? Probably not.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go against everything I said and troll Bethesda fanboys for praising mediocrity. Hopefully, you have learned something today.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[ |||||||||||||||| ]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#74McLargeHugePosted 1/29/2013 3:31:58 PM
CoD is essentially a Michael Bay movie/yearly Madden entry of the FPS world. Marginal changes from previous entry, appeals to the lowest common denominator, offers completely mindless stimulus/entertainment.

That being said, like Madden, it will sell every year, and most players continue to move onto the next installment simply because that's where the lion's share of the players are. Whatever though, I can still enjoy it, despite acknowledging that this game has some issues stemming mostly from flawed map design.
#75KabtheMentatPosted 1/29/2013 3:54:25 PM
CaPwnD posted...
CaPwnD posted...
The reason I loathe CoD really is because every MP FPS that comes out now is either CoD or tries to be CoD because that's where the money is. CoD sells so well that its creators basically don't try anymore because every November when a new one comes out it will pretty much jump to GOTY status by the end of December.

Whether you like the series or you don't, that's not good for gamers.

It's creators basically don't try anymore? I disagree, I enjoy the games. So tell me why that's not good for me? You think I don't buy other games or something? The other 200 games in my library would disagree.

People like you act so dramatic over it, like COD existing somehow negates all the other great games out there.

No. I'm saying CoD is largely the same game every year with new (generally SMALLER) maps and killstreaks.

And COD's existence pretty much negates all other MP FPS's, because the other ones that exist are COD clones. There are a handful of decent ones that aren't, but really I can't think of more than 2 online FPS's besides COD and Halo that aren't practically dead already (like Tribes: Ascend).

As for general games though, yes there are plenty of good ones. But I do feel that the giant cash cow that COD is has made developers and especially publishers less likely to take risks and try to innovate.

I don't buy that. There's less game sales recently because of the economy and because the generation is ending. The budgets are too big and people aren't buying games. It's not because of COD, COD is just where people like to place blame.

Troll confirmed. Nobody could be this dumb.

How is that being a troll? He's actually not wrong in what he's saying.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#76cjd92(Topic Creator)Posted 1/30/2013 7:19:51 AM
PraetorXyn posted...
A lot of us hate COD because it single-handedly destroyed a once great franchise and turned pretty much everything into a campfest.

There hasn't been a great MP shooter since UT2004.

Qft.

Can't believe so many folks missed the sarcasm in the OP.
---
indeed.
#77Sega9599Posted 1/30/2013 9:19:29 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...
Velociswagger posted...
No this game is pretty bad. Only reason I play it is because no one else plays any other game.

Tell me which online games you own and want to play but can't because 'no-one' plays them, no-one in this case meaning less than 100 people.

If you mean not one of your friends....then that's normal dude. I've watched movies I didn't like before cause my friends wanted to watch them. I couldn't stand Inception myself and neither could most of them, but because it was supposed to be 'big release' we all watched it together. Difference is? We wasted a couple of hours on that moive, while it sounds like you're wasting days of your life just to 'be involved in an activity that you HATE with your friends'

If you are honestly saying that you and all your friends dislike the game, and everyone you know who plays the game thinks it's 'bad', then I'm going to assume you've got a reasonable amount of players to enjoy playing with on your favourite online games. There's VERY few 360 online games out there with literally nobody playing, and you and your friends can kick ass on there.

Bottom line, you don't have a leg to stand on.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#78WrydrunePosted 1/30/2013 10:26:16 AM
ValedictorianXD posted...
The problem with some of the thinking here is that people are trying to objectively judge video games, which is incredibly tough to do even if you have loads of experience and the right kind of knowledge under your belt. You see, some of us want to think that Call of Duty sucks because of the way Activision handles the series and the given target audience of the game. However, that being noted, what about supposedly "good" games that open up to poorer sales?

Call of Duty, a supposedly bad game series, opens up to stellar critic reviews and record-setting sales.

Braid, a supposedly good game, opens up to slightly better reviews; however, the sales are relatively dismal compared to CoD. This is despite the fact that the game itself is supposedly better and cheaper.

Now, I'm not saying that sales dictate everything but let's look at things from a logical point of view. People want better things. The hindrance to getting better things is typically the cost or knowledge of these things' existence. Braid was an excellent game released at a cheap price and it would later go on to get accolades everywhere and be spoken of by gamers as some piece of gaming royalty. So, why isn't this game just hitting the ball out of the park? Simple. Lots of people just don't like the game.

Now, we get into an interesting little debacle: audience. If the CoD series sucks but it gets ridiculous sales, then that must mean that the gamers who buy the games have no taste. They are inferior gamers. Then, that would leave the few superior gamers to buy and enjoy Braid. Typically, this is what most of these "CoD is bad" discussions are going to end up being. You play the game because you have no taste in games. Seems elitist, right? I agree.

How about we try this theory instead: CoD is released to a certain target audience. That particular audience appreciates the game for what it is. If you aren't in the target audience, you aren't going to enjoy the game. Likewise, if I released a rap album and you despise rap, you probably won't like the album. However, you love the hell out of classical music. Does this mean that classical music is better than rap music? Well, perhaps there are some elements of music that can be judged objectively like there are in video games, but one genre cannot ultimately be said to be better than another. Likewise, no game can ultimately be said to be better than another.

There are just too many factors (many that are subjective) to actually give a definitive answer. Basically, what I am saying is that the quality of a game is almost entirely opinion-based. You're going to look like a fool if you try to argue it objectively because objectivity only counts for so much.

Is Black Ops 2 a terrible game? For me, yes. For plenty of shooter enthusiasts out there? No. That's the appropriate response to make.

This is what I'll usually end up seeing and even I'm guilty of it from time to time:
Is Chrono Trigger one of the best ****ing games to ever grace the planet? For me, yes. For fools who consider Skyrim, a game where you are essentially a glorified errand boy, to be the "best rpg ever"? Probably not.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go against everything I said and troll Bethesda fanboys for praising mediocrity. Hopefully, you have learned something today.

Awesome post but I already said this this like 5 pages back (thought less detailed).
---
Capcom on racism:
We don't care what race our fans are, because we don't care about our fans.
#79djshowstopper87Posted 1/30/2013 10:41:55 AM
It gets bashed because its call of duty ( a popular yearly release). Black ops 2 is okay ( one of the better COD games to come out). But it's really not as spectacular as reviews and cod fanboys say. It's still the same old tired cod formula. Mp still has issues that can be rage inducing. Over powered guns, so so maps, terrible spawns, lag compensation ( people can eat your bullets and not die or you shot first but it doesn't register). Personally I am over call of duty, I only buy them because my friends play them all the time. I can only play for like 30-40 mins a day before I get tired of it.