Why so much emphasis on K/D Ratio's?

#1DiscagePosted 1/31/2013 1:17:41 PM
Okay, I'll start off by saying I've been playing first person shooters competitively since 007 on N64 and then later Counter-Strike as my first venture into online competitions and have played competitively (to some extent) every single popular FPS series since PC & Console.

It seems that in the Call of Duty community there is a huge emphasis on K/D Ratio and that seems to be how people gauge how "good" you are. Why is this? I could understand if perhaps all you and your clan, group, whatever, played was Team Deathmatch but in any other game type K/D ratio shouldn't matter as much.

For example, I could go play capture the flag and someone could have 0 kills and 40 deaths but have all the captures for the team therefore doing more for the team than those camping and taking out everyone they see because they're actually playing the objective of that game type and scoring points that actually matter.

Anyways, It's just one thing that really bothers me about the COD community. I hope that they eventually just scrap showing one's K/D ratio at all and instead show their rankings in each game type. That would be far more accurate.

Is this just me? Or do some people simply fail to realize that objective game types matter more on the objective than how many kills you have?
---
XBL: This Is A Trick / PSN: Komentra
Steam: Komentra / Game Center (iOS): Komentra
#2fatclemenzaPosted 1/31/2013 1:18:47 PM
For example, I could go play capture the flag and someone could have 0 kills and 40 deaths but have all the captures for the team therefore doing more for the team than those camping and taking out everyone they see because they're actually playing the objective of that game type and scoring points that actually matter.

In doing so you gave up several VSATs and Lodestars.

Its not impossible to play the objective and have a high K/D. Anybody good can do it
---
Advertising signs, they con you into thinking you’re the one
That can do what’s never been done, that can win what’s never been won
#3gameflakPosted 1/31/2013 1:19:33 PM
E-peen compensation...
---
If it's true that we learn from our mistakes, then I should be a frickin' genius by now.
#4Bad_BricksPosted 1/31/2013 1:20:22 PM
Very good points, but for people like me with smaller man parts we have to have something to show the chicks! Get off my back Bro!
#5yeah_u_madPosted 1/31/2013 1:20:26 PM
fatclemenza posted...

In doing so you gave up several VSATs and Lodestars.

Its not impossible to play the objective and have a high K/D. Anybody good can do it

this

claiming that you have a bad KDR because you play the Objective is the sorriest excuse ever

I ONLY play objective (mostly domination but lots of HQ and hardpoint) and I currently have a KDR of 3.2
#6scarface_jrPosted 1/31/2013 1:20:27 PM
I don't know....It's just a CoD thing I guess, well a CoD and MMO thing for me. But any other fps I don't care too much about my k/d. I wish I didn't care about my k/d because when I play not caring about it I always do better. I can play halo or battlefield and not worry about k/d but as soon as I play CoD I do.
---
"There are good guys and there are bad guys in this world, and make no mistake I am a bad, bad man." -CM Punk
#7SuperNecroPosted 1/31/2013 1:22:30 PM
0-40 means that you're just feeding scorestreaks, especially if you're killed with the objective or near a capture point. You're a detriment to the team at that point.
---
GT: ZetaGamer
#8Discage(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2013 1:24:53 PM
SuperNecro posted...
0-40 means that you're just feeding scorestreaks, especially if you're killed with the objective or near a capture point. You're a detriment to the team at that point.

That was just a made up example. I'm sure that someone who has a negative k/d ratio but has most (or all) of the captures for the team doesn't have THAT BAD of a k/d ratio.

Like I said, I can see in some instances why a K/D Ratio matters. However there's been many times where I've seen people playing Kill Confirmed just running around picking up dogtags while those who are more focused on their ratio just ignore denying kills and confirming them.
---
XBL: This Is A Trick / PSN: Komentra
Steam: Komentra / Game Center (iOS): Komentra
#9AWarAmp84Posted 1/31/2013 1:27:58 PM
I'd say on objective game modes you need players who can kill AND go for the objective. I do agree with you though, too many people care only about their K/D which is pretty sad. I wish FPS's only recorded a players W/L. This would solve many problems.
---
Before you comment on one of my posts, please research the Dunning-Kruger effect. Best game of all time: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.
#10AU_Mister187Posted 1/31/2013 1:27:58 PM
Played solo last night and a group of 5 people joined my lobby. The first game ended and I had the best Kd and highest score but my still team lost (had a guy on my team go 3-29). One of the guys said hey your terrible at this game to me and i said what. He said I just wanted to let you know you're terrible. He said i have a higher kd than you. He had a 1.86 and i have a 1.72. His SPM was 214 and mine is 380. So he and his boyfriends beat me and the randoms again but yet again i had the highest kd and highest score. I pretty much owned him and his friends and it was funny hearing them rage when i would double and triple kill them. After every game the party of 5 would be like so how does it feel to lose every game, when im playing solo. So eventually i got one competent team mate on slums and we crushed them. It was pretty funny.

To me a person with a high kd but low SPM isnt good. I know 380 isnt good either but im not telling people they're terrible.