Anyone get to pick up the Razer Sabertooth?

#1Ryguy226Posted 2/1/2013 3:55:43 AM
I just got mine in the mail, so far pretty impressed with it. This was the first time I've ever gotten a controller for a console that WASN'T first party, so I was a lil nervous, but I liked the appeal of the multiple multifunctional buttons. After spending some time with it, I like it, but the rockers on the back take getting used to though. The main benefit for me is mapping the jump button and the sprint/hold breath button. Since I use SouthPaw (I'm a righty too, which makes it even odder), I need to look with the left stick, but it becomes a pain to snipe when the hold breath is tied to the same stick I have to look with. I actually had a better time with MW3 because they had the functions swapped with the sticks. I know most people would use the extra rockers for dropshotting, but I'm not too fond of it.

Anyone else who has one, what do you think, what buttons do you have mapped?
#2gwetmore4523Posted 2/1/2013 3:58:04 AM
I've been eyeing this controller for about a week but not sure if I want to invest in a controller that I'll probably only use for Call of Duty. Granted it's cheaper than a SCUF but $70 to be able to jumpshot, reload, switch weapons, whatever else anyone would map buttons to, I'm just not sure yet.
---
PSN - W3tm0G
XBL - xM0G
#3Ryguy226(Topic Creator)Posted 2/1/2013 4:05:01 AM
gwetmore4523 posted...
I've been eyeing this controller for about a week but not sure if I want to invest in a controller that I'll probably only use for Call of Duty. Granted it's cheaper than a SCUF but $70 to be able to jumpshot, reload, switch weapons, whatever else anyone would map buttons to, I'm just not sure yet.

That's actually a valid concern, and frankly I think the only benefits this controller gives is mainly for shooters. That said, I do plan on using this as my main controller, I'll just switch to a different profile to disable at least the rockers on the back so I don't hit them by accident and cause problems ingame for something that's not a shooter.
#4gwetmore4523Posted 2/1/2013 4:09:19 AM
I know there were valid concerns with the Razer Onza which was the previous edition of their controller to compete with SCUF but they seemed to have really cleaned up the majority of those issues. Call of Duty is one of the games I invest the most time in so at some point when I have a spare $70 I'll be tempted to make the purchase. Would love to hear back from you in a couple of weeks to see how it's holding up.
---
PSN - W3tm0G
XBL - xM0G
#5AlleRacingPosted 2/1/2013 4:32:12 AM
The Onza was a piece of crap, like all Razer products, I wouldn't expect any better of the Sabertooth.
---
http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8325/scrunchface2copyfx0.png
http://www.xboxlc.com/cards/default/alle5.jpg
#6Oblivion_SlayerPosted 2/1/2013 4:52:26 AM
If its any consolation, I purchased one the day they were released (more money than sense) and I have had not a single problem with it. Sticks? Perfect. Triggers? Perfect. No stick-drift at all, in fact I think Razer used the same method Scuf uses to make the sticks virtually drift-proof.

All in all, not MUCH of an improvement over the regular 360 controller, but the cool factor and niche appeal is definitely there.
---
The Toeh is my lord and savior!
I have seen the light, heard the truth, and tasted the scrumptiousness that is The Toeh!
#7ShadonicPosted 2/1/2013 5:23:57 AM
AlleRacing posted...
The Onza was a piece of crap, like all Razer products, I wouldn't expect any better of the Sabertooth.

IMO Razer is pretty good, alot of the products are solid and you get duff ones every now and then ( as with any brand), but hasn't been my experience, I've owned 3 death adders, a lacheris, Widow Ultimate, a Reclusa keyboard (part ms / part Razer) another mouse i can't remember the name of because it was bundled with my asus laptop, razer mouse surface, and recently a Sabretooth.

I've heard bad things about the onza, but from what I've seen of the razer they nailed it this time around, the extra triggers takes some getting used to, but it's removable, meanwhile having a double trigger works wonders for single fire guns like the FAL or SMR, having a trigger set for knifing is also better for reaction, the smaller working travel of the hyper response buttons means I've never since had a finger slip and missed the window for crouching below a betty that caught me out... I've almost stopped using the original R Trigger completely as the button style of the sabretooth works better for one touch uses like firing a gun ( but would fall flat, say, in a driving game where you need it for a variable like acceleration).

the OLED screen makes mapping buttons an absolute breeze, the wiring looks sturdy, comes in a case, my -only- niggle with the controller thus far is that there is a tiny bit of play in the left thumbstick around neutral, which could be a concern after a week of use, but will have to see how it goes on.

This is the first controller I've used with the slip on Thumb covers. and i have to say they feel miles better, I'm tempted to get a pair of grips for some of my other controllers too.

and on a final note, having the extra triggers in place of buttons / the quicker travel on the four face buttons helps TREMENDOUSLY on fighting games too ;3
---
Gah! My 0's fallen off! has anyone seen it?
#8darkshadowmasterPosted 2/1/2013 5:46:55 AM
AlleRacing posted...

I see alot of trash talked on Razer from various sites but I have yet to have any of my products on theirs (mice/keyboards/keypads) break or malfunction at all and I've had them for 5+ years.

Now if they would only get stock in with their Razer Orbweaver that would be awesome... :\
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#9XT3M3Posted 2/1/2013 6:07:33 AM
i was going to buy the Razer Onza from amazon. but something told me to check the revivew.

HOLY *****

there are more 1 stars than anything else. with all the complaints being around the same thing. then to make it better you had Razer PR or CR person commenting to these reviews offering a replacement and damage control.
---
YT|Ownal0t GT| oZdReaZiii WrSx
Is it weird that it might be more likely that Tc wins powerball than wizards winning? ~ KoD_Immortal
#10outcast1398Posted 2/1/2013 6:22:39 AM
I had two Onza TE and both had the same problem; not the ghosting problem, but a problem with the right trigger. After returning to Best Buy and trying again with Amazon couldn't believe after a couple weeks had the same problem. Cracked it open and the spring like setup could be manipulated a bit but ultimately would happen again.

Everything else I liked, especially the higher sticks. Went back to a cheap (Amazon) 1st party controller and added freeks. Never had an issue besides eventual wearing with MS's.

So with that I'm skeptical with just about any 3rd party controller since the Onza with all the delays and short supply was supposed to be the one lol. Do like the MadCatz SFIV fighter pad though... but it's not a full controller with analogs.

TC hope it works out though and is awesome!