GTA V: Estimated 137.5 million in development costs.... costs for BO2?

#1ihaveyahooraresPosted 2/3/2013 1:00:54 AM
Anyone have figures?

Kotaku is reporting an estimated 137.5 million in development with another 109 million in marketing....

Curious as to how it stacks up in comparison to BO2 development costs.

I haven't been able to find accurate sales figures for the GTA Franchise in comparison to the COD franchise.

I'm just saying off the top of my head, it feels like nowhere near 137.5 million was used to develop BO2. Maybe 80 million including the DLC Development....
#2MrBombasticaIPosted 2/3/2013 1:04:39 AM
You can't compare an Open World game like GTA's dev costs with CoD. They have to make entire cities to use. CoD maps aren't huge cities.
#3IIIVIRPosted 2/3/2013 1:05:30 AM
Take that figure with a grain of salt.
---
GT: ANTHON3Y
#4BipBapBamPosted 2/3/2013 1:07:23 AM
about three fiddy
---
I'm careless, but I care.
GT: Noitrez
#5Aether_LyricPosted 2/3/2013 1:10:25 AM
If you factor in marketing costs, CoD games would actually be right up there. Some of the music and actors they use in advertising must cost them a fortune.

GTA has also been in development for much longer than the 2 year CoD cycle
#6ColorBlindMagePosted 2/3/2013 1:10:33 AM
Doubtful, they'd have to sell so much just to recoup all that money spent.
---
http://backloggery.com/legendaryhero99
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.
#7ihaveyahoorares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:13:24 AM
Yea. GTA has to make huge cities, storylines, missions, etc. COD has to do the same. Maybe BO2 has more development in Campaign than Mutliplayer and Zombies? It's just a reskin.... Yes, GTA is a reskin as well, but so many things are changed (cars or example) GTA also has to put in damage physics for, buildings, and things around the city....

Idk, I think GTA would've had more coding involved the BO2. Anyone else feel the same?

Well. Take a look at this...

http://www.gamerzines.com/playstation/developers-working-black.html

Random article. 300+ people working on BO2? Working on what?.... Making David Vonderphard a character in the game? Makes little sense...

Can't really find much else... I wouldn't be surprised if they spent more on marketting than development btw...
#8KabtheMentatPosted 2/3/2013 1:15:39 AM
Yeah, there's no way in hell they're spending $250 million on the game. Especially in this economy.
---
Big Money. Big Women. Big Fun.
I don't have a cocaine habit, I just like the way it smells.
#9ihaveyahoorares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 1:17:57 AM
ColorBlindMage posted...
Doubtful, they'd have to sell so much just to recoup all that money spent.

GTA has always been a top notch game. I know it's a big selling franchise that has a large fan base as well. Can't find much in terms of sales figures though.... They don't seem to cut many corners I'll give you that. PLUS, the radio in GTA? That's something awesome in itself.

Aether_Lyric posted...
If you factor in marketing costs, CoD games would actually be right up there. Some of the music and actors they use in advertising must cost them a fortune.

GTA has also been in development for much longer than the 2 year CoD cycle

Why are there so many problems then? Haha... That's what doesn't make sense...

They should've just fixed the damn game instead of paying for big time commercials, actors, etc... GTA's radio stations I believe have more talent, time, and licensing fees (plus original content, Lazlow) than what's in BO2. That's just basing it off the previous GTA's btw. Who knows what's in store for GTA V.
#10BipBapBamPosted 2/3/2013 1:19:49 AM
300 devs... and they all found a way to **** it up. Bravo
---
I'm careless, but I care.
GT: Noitrez