GTA V: Estimated 137.5 million in development costs.... costs for BO2?

#41crazyeightz1Posted 2/3/2013 6:41:20 AM
sgr8 posted...
ihaveyahoorares posted...

Kotaku is reporting an estimated 137.5 million in development with another 109 million in marketing....

GTA 4 sold over 24 Million Copies (Data from 2012, according to wikipedia). If Take Two/Rockstar gets only 30% of it (rest licensing fees to sony/ms , retail stores etc), that would be like

24000000 units sold*20$ = 480 million $

i dont know exactly how much take two would get for every game sold, maybe somebody here knows?! obviously also the game is cheaper now and not 60 anymore, so probably quite a couple of million of people didnt buy it for 60.

so it would mean, that the earnings from GTA 4 are more around $300 or $400 million probably. unless take two gets way more from every game sold than around 30%.

i mean if they would get like 70% it would be already like $1 billion income from the game.

in latter case, i would be a bit suprised they "only" put a little over $100 million into creating the game. i would have thought its more.

even tho i think most movies are way below that.

i would tend to think COD is way less , i mean the maps and the additions to MP, the zombie mode and all. probably a team of around 50 people could do that in a year easily, that would be like 5 million $ a year max.

i could perfectly imagine the dev costs for Black Ops 2 were around $20 or $30 million completely with the engine mostly being there already from the former games.

hey sorry sgr, didnt know u posted the same exact thing right before me.
#42SideStrafePosted 2/3/2013 7:01:19 AM
Shenmue on the Dreamcast cost 50 million to make. Killzone 2 on the PS3 took like 60 million.

Star Wars The Old Republic, as crap as that game is, cost 200 million to make.

More importantly, GTA IV cost 100 million to make.

There's nothing unreasonable about a game as massive and detailed as GTAV being in development for 5 years costing nearly 140 million or even 200 million.
---
"I don't know what to do when she cries. The best I can do is punch anyone who makes her cry."
http://i.imgur.com/s9NsStS.jpg
#43SideStrafePosted 2/3/2013 7:03:07 AM
Actually to adjust for inflation, you can basically count all those games like 10-20 million more in cost.
---
"I don't know what to do when she cries. The best I can do is punch anyone who makes her cry."
http://i.imgur.com/s9NsStS.jpg
#44whiteboygenePosted 2/3/2013 7:05:34 AM
ihaveyahoorares posted...
Yea. GTA has to make huge cities, storylines, missions, etc. COD has to do the same. Maybe BO2 has more development in Campaign than Mutliplayer and Zombies? It's just a reskin.... Yes, GTA is a reskin as well, but so many things are changed (cars or example) GTA also has to put in damage physics for, buildings, and things around the city....

Do you have any idea how ridiculously incorrect you are?
---
Good deeds should be done not for compensation or to please an invisible deity, they should just simply be done. People who agree: 847
#45ih0tfireiPosted 2/3/2013 7:17:34 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if GTA made more money than this game. I don't recall a single game by rockstar that has disappointed me. To top it off, they seem to be the only developer who knows how to make dlc. I haven't seen any game come close to how great GTA 4 and red dead dlc's were.
---
Xbox tag- I Hotfire I
#46ihaveyahoorares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 2:33:30 PM
ih0tfirei posted...
I wouldn't be surprised if GTA made more money than this game. I don't recall a single game by rockstar that has disappointed me. To top it off, they seem to be the only developer who knows how to make dlc. I haven't seen any game come close to how great GTA 4 and red dead dlc's were.

Yes.
#47Teh_5_StarzPosted 2/3/2013 2:51:07 PM
BipBapBam posted...
about three fiddy

I lol'd
---
GT: DJ Willie Vee
Offer DLC? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ
#48unpleasant_milkPosted 2/3/2013 2:53:42 PM
BO2

Probably has a few hundred staff, including senior execs and various consultants = 2 years approx of salaries, seriously expensive.

Marketing worldwide = seriously expensive (TV, during prime time sporting events, billboards and stuff)

Printing the discs a million odd times and shipping = dam expensive

The only cheap bit was the manual printed on a tree leafs worth of paper.
---
GT unpleasant milk
Pepsi is disgusting, and dubstep is a good way to ruin a song.
#49ihaveyahoorares(Topic Creator)Posted 2/3/2013 3:04:39 PM
unpleasant_milk posted...
BO2

Probably has a few hundred staff, including senior execs and various consultants = 2 years approx of salaries, seriously expensive.

Marketing worldwide = seriously expensive (TV, during prime time sporting events, billboards and stuff)

Printing the discs a million odd times and shipping = dam expensive

The only cheap bit was the manual printed on a tree leafs worth of paper.

Senior execs = secretaries who make decisions... Most companies the season exec just deals with all aspects trying to make it come together. Answer the phone calls transferred from... the secretary. The secretaries job is probably 5x's harder with 20x's less pay.