Networking, Lag Comp, and Hit Detection

#1Zero IXPosted 2/4/2013 3:35:04 PM
If you have ever posted about any of the above, I highly recommend you read Mousey's excellent thread (over at Den Kirson):

http://denkirson.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=5972

Consider this a PSA because half of the people who constantly post about lag comp still come off as fools <3
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#2__redxiii__Posted 2/4/2013 3:36:28 PM
So what is this? It explains the lag? I'm barely literate and I don't follow links.
#3duericPosted 2/4/2013 3:38:07 PM
__redxiii__ posted...
So what is this? It explains the lag? I'm barely literate and I don't follow links.

This will be a common reaction to this info. Hence, why the info is posted.

People can remember the buzzwords, but try and explain why those buzzwords exist and forget about it.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#4__redxiii__Posted 2/4/2013 3:39:28 PM
I'll follow links and read them if people post a description of what it is. Otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time.
#5Tip_Your_MedicPosted 2/4/2013 3:49:42 PM
Chiming in because this is my thread he linked to.

It explains basic game networking and how it applies to CoD. It also goes over some of the BS that the clueless people blame everything on and why they need to get over themselves (and to an extent, how to manipulate latency issues).

But I mean there's a table of contents right near the top, and most of the important stuff is color coded.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pf438.gif
#6__redxiii__Posted 2/4/2013 3:52:06 PM
Tip_Your_Medic posted...
Chiming in because this is my thread he linked to.

It explains basic game networking and how it applies to CoD. It also goes over some of the BS that the clueless people blame everything on and why they need to get over themselves (and to an extent, how to manipulate latency issues).

But I mean there's a table of contents right near the top, and most of the important stuff is color coded.

Thanks, I will read it later.
#7duericPosted 2/4/2013 3:53:42 PM
__redxiii__ posted...
I'll follow links and read them if people post a description of what it is. Otherwise I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Because "networking, lag, and hit detection" left you clueless as to what the topic was about?
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#8Blizzard09Posted 2/4/2013 3:57:53 PM(edited)
He does a decent job... He goes back and forth about alot of stuff saying its not a problem, then late saying is a small problem. His networking was decent, but he knows crap about the Net code used and that a HUGE problem with this game.

I have been saying since day one lag comp was a scapegoat and sadly this guy wasted his breath explaining that part. Alot of the stuff he explains will not matter as people won't listen. People are ignorant for a reason and its because they choose to be and not that they are actually ignorant.
---
Mods = Kids to young for this board.
#9duericPosted 2/4/2013 4:02:09 PM
Blizzard09 posted...
He does a decent job... He goes back and forth about alot of stuff saying its not a problem, then late saying is a small problem. His networking was decent, but he knows crap about the Net code used and that a HUGE problem with this game.

I have been saying since day one lag comp was a scapegoat and sadly this guy wasted his breath explaining that part. Alot of the stuff he explains will not matter as people won't listen. People are ignorant for a reason and its because they choose to be and not that they are actually ignorant.

Here's the thing. NOBODY knows anything about the actual netcoding used except the programmers themselves.

However, he knows enough for this link to be useful. To contradict, yet offer no follow up, is an incredibly popular internet technique.
---
#10Tip_Your_MedicPosted 2/4/2013 4:07:58 PM

I have been saying since day one lag comp was a scapegoat and sadly this guy wasted his breath explaining that part. Alot of the stuff he explains will not matter as people won't listen. People are ignorant for a reason and its because they choose to be and not that they are actually ignorance.

*She

I figured that seeing as how youtube heroes seem to be people's primary source of info for this game, people aren't willing to read it in full. I tried to make it easy to skim but it's really hard to get the point across in just a few sentences.

Here's the thing. NOBODY knows anything about the actual netcoding used except the programmers themselves.

Not true. Every patch from CoD4-Black Ops 1 has been ripped apart by the hacking community and really show no changes in the networking model outside of matchmaking/hosting. I'm not sure about MW3/BO2 because they're encrypted. On top of that hacking forums (decent ones at least) tend to cost money to get at any of the good stuff, something I'm not really willing to do. I mean there's a lot of speculation as to MW3/BO2 screwing with it a bit but it's all heresay.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pf438.gif