Networking, Lag Comp, and Hit Detection

#71Android21APosted 2/6/2013 1:28:51 AM
Lag compensation existed in MW3. I can't find the quote but the community manager did mention at one point they had changed the code to keep hosts from having advantage after BO1, and thus penalized their latency. The problem is that it was too drastic and hosts were pretty much screwed. I'm assuming this same code was implemented into BO2 but IW has been updating their code independently and ahead of Treyarch.

The problem everyone else in the game is having is crappy netcode. COD4 and MW2 had amazing netcode and I don't know why they changed it if it wasn't broken. It may even have something to do with theater recording, but who knows.
---
Will you take the Rocket Launcher?
>Yes No
#72Halo_ForeverPosted 2/6/2013 3:01:36 AM
BrownPack posted...
So in simpler terms, why is it that when I play Cod4 and MW2, I have a much MUCH more reliable gameplay than in BO/MW3/BO2? Things tend to make more sense in Cod4 and MW2 than in the rest of the games. There is less "BS" so to speak.

This. The article was definitely a good read and explains all of the issues with the pre-MW3 CoD online, but it doesn't explain the performance in BO2. I still get worse connectivity here when playing with other Scandinavians, than I get in Black Ops when playing with Spaniards and Canadians. If everything was fine here, I should get the typical rollercoaster of connections, not this.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#73duericPosted 2/6/2013 3:05:31 AM
FeelMyBlade posted...
I am supporting everything dueric say, because he's cool.

Some people just don't get it, brother.

It's not about being right or wrong or agreeing or disagreeing. That's waaaaay too complicated. If I think you're a d***, I don't associate with you. It's that simple.

It's the internet and videogames. I mean, where does drama fit there? LOL
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#74JetblackmoonPosted 2/6/2013 4:30:29 AM
Tag for later.
---
Hey, everyone! This store discriminates against the poor!
#75Tip_Your_MedicPosted 2/6/2013 4:39:33 AM
Linctagon7 posted...
There is no such thing as "lag compensation" as people define it. The game cannot possible worsen your connection to bring it down to the same level of a player who has a bad connection. That's nonsense. What we do have however is "lag-correction" or otherwise anti-lag measures. If they weren't in place everyone would be skipping around the map non-stop.

I posted this a while back. And I still believe this is where the issue lies:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/669289-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/64879230

Technically it's very much possible for the game to give artificial ping to players. It would just be such a terrible design choice that its amazing people actually consider it a possibility.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pf438.gif
#76Kanjo_BazooiePosted 2/6/2013 10:25:14 AM(edited)
So in other words, the networking of BO2 is explained and in detail about the problems of the way the system is set-up. People should know a lot more about what exactly goes on that leads to the "BS"

But that's just it - it's still BS. All this did was back up semantics; the bottom line is the bulls*** still happens and no matter where the problem actually lies, there is still a problem and it needs to be fixed. Players have every right to complain about their deaths. "F***ing lag comp!" is 1000x easier to say than "God damn host isn't sending my input data fast enough and the f***ing enemy should have had his data terminated earlier! Damn listen server management!"

Seriously, all this does is educate the problem. The problem still needs to be fixed.
---
2013 NY Rangers: 3-3-0 8th Eastern Conference
'12-'13 Brooklyn Nets: 27-19 2nd Atlantic Division | 4th Eastern Conference
#77darkshadowmasterPosted 2/6/2013 10:45:06 AM
[3.1] Connection Discrepancies pt.1
Input prediction and lag will cause players to be out of sync with each other. More specifically, each client will see the other players significantly behind themselves. The difference will basically be Time it takes for the data to reach the server + Time taken from snapshot to reach another client + The time delay caused by interpolation. This stacks up to make a pretty big difference. When mixed with the fact that hit detection is designed to work properly from the shooter's perspective, this causes some wacky effects.

This explains why when I see someone far away & try to turn a corner to surprise them I immidiately die and the KC shows them 5ft away rather than 15ft away.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#78Tip_Your_MedicPosted 2/6/2013 11:12:23 AM
So in other words, the networking of BO2 is explained and in detail about the problems of the way the system is set-up. People should know a lot more about what exactly goes on that leads to the "BS"

But that's just it - it's still BS. All this did was back up semantics; the bottom line is the bulls*** still happens and no matter where the problem actually lies, there is still a problem and it needs to be fixed. Players have every right to complain about their deaths. "F***ing lag comp!" is 1000x easier to say than "God damn host isn't sending my input data fast enough and the f***ing enemy should have had his data terminated earlier! Damn listen server management!"

Seriously, all this does is educate the problem. The problem still needs to be fixed.

The purpose was to educate (at least in the basic stuff), not offer a solution. Also to outline that certain things just don't have a reasonable solution. The developers can't fix the fact that someone else in your game may have a faster internet connection than you. (of course that's not to say other elements can't be improved, though)

It's not to say people can't complain about their deaths either. I just made that for denkirson because the forum is fairly technical and there wasn't a thread that went over basic networking yet (Zero just felt like crossposting it here). It's nice to keep down the number of posts on there that come up with BS reasoning for doing bad in the game.
---
http://i.imgur.com/Pf438.gif
#79metalclashPosted 2/10/2013 6:20:11 PM
that one death from lag can change a game of s&d, i've seen it happen all too often.
---
people who snapchat are just flat out stupid.
#80gameflakPosted 2/10/2013 6:52:31 PM
I was in a match two nights ago that was really "laggy"; with the worst "lag moment" I've ever seen. My teammate actually FROZE mid-stride in front of me for like 5 seconds.

I had been in another one earlier on Downhill that I just had to leave because it was stuttering constantly. I couldn't aim or hit anything because of it. Unbelievable.
---
If it's true that we learn from our mistakes, then I should be a frickin' genius by now.