My only possible explanation for why connection seems to decline with each CoD

#1ImTooSkilleddPosted 2/5/2013 3:35:10 AM
Maybe it's just simply because with each CoD, more and more people are playing. I know this isn't some profound realization, but I feel like people are always looking at how the game is coded and whatnot, and might be overlooking the fact that the problems could be arising due to the sheer amount of people playing at any given time. With every new CoD, more and more people are playing. I feel like every time a CoD comes out, a new record is broken regarding sales.

Other then that, I can't imagine why every new installment of CoD seems to have worse connection problems. If it was as easy as going back to the "old system" of MW2, I feel like they'd have done it by now. Then again, I might be giving Treyarch too much credit.

This would also explain why older games always end up having near-flawless hit detection when we go back to them a year or two later (when traffic is far less).

I'm by no means claiming to be an expert on the subject, so sorry if this post doesn't even make sense. Just felt like it was worth mentioning.
---
XBL GT: PhysiKuL
"Please tell us again of the importance of being a pro Call of Duty player. I seemed to have missed that."
#2BipBapBamPosted 2/5/2013 3:36:50 AM
Well, apparently this game has lag offline, too, so lol.
---
I'm careless, but I care.
GT: Noitrez
#3adeelPosted 2/5/2013 3:46:27 AM
ImTooSkilledd posted...
Maybe it's just simply because with each CoD, more and more people are playing. I know this isn't some profound realization, but I feel like people are always looking at how the game is coded and whatnot, and might be overlooking the fact that the problems could be arising due to the sheer amount of people playing at any given time. With every new CoD, more and more people are playing. I feel like every time a CoD comes out, a new record is broken regarding sales.

Other then that, I can't imagine why every new installment of CoD seems to have worse connection problems. If it was as easy as going back to the "old system" of MW2, I feel like they'd have done it by now. Then again, I might be giving Treyarch too much credit.

This would also explain why older games always end up having near-flawless hit detection when we go back to them a year or two later (when traffic is far less).

I'm by no means claiming to be an expert on the subject, so sorry if this post doesn't even make sense. Just felt like it was worth mentioning.

There's a clip out there that proves that even if you play offline, split screen, the game still creates artificial lag. The top player has around a 100.ms advantage. And that's with NO CONNECTION within the game. Some guy slowed it down and it shows how on one screen the player could fully see the enemy, on the opposite the enemy hasn't even appeard from the behind the door.

Add on lag + lag compensation, and increase that to 300.ms advantage and you're not wondering why you're dying from every gun right.
#4RandomTrampPosted 2/5/2013 3:50:42 AM
I think with p2p connections (as opposed to dedicated servers) a larger community should equate to less lag, as you're more likely to get matched up with players in your local area and at decent ping etc.
So when I play MW2 I get a great connection without the map packs, but usually I get only a 2-bar connection with the maps packs installed, because the number of active players with map packs playing MW2 these days is tiny.
#5ShawcrossPosted 2/5/2013 4:01:42 AM
I have always felt the lag got worse cause of all the new things they have running on the same hardware. They have added split screening and theater mode not to mention they track EVERY single stat in the game now. A lot of things moving behind the scenes on old console hardware that wasn't around before.
---
I upload mundane videos
http://www.youtube.com/TheSeattleGamer
#6Aether_LyricPosted 2/5/2013 4:07:21 AM
Shawcross posted...
I have always felt the lag got worse cause of all the new things they have running on the same hardware. They have added split screening and theater mode not to mention they track EVERY single stat in the game now. A lot of things moving behind the scenes on old console hardware that wasn't around before.

Yes, this. Has nothing to do with the amount of players.

The reason Treyarch's games are laggy is because they are cramming more and more features into a 6+ year old engine. MW2's connection is so smooth because it had a new engine & netcoding designed specifically for that game and Treyarch isn't using it for some reason. I guess legal issues with West/Zampella but I don't know.
#7Silver17Posted 2/5/2013 4:58:23 AM
Aether_Lyric posted...
Shawcross posted...

Yes, this. Has nothing to do with the amount of players.

The reason Treyarch's games are laggy is because they are cramming more and more features into a 6+ year old engine. MW2's connection is so smooth because it had a new engine & netcoding designed specifically for that game and Treyarch isn't using it for some reason. I guess legal issues with West/Zampella but I don't know.

I still think it's more diversity in bandwidth.

DSL was a lot more common back during the days of MW2.

Now when you have a room of DSL mixed with Cable and Google Fiber - You can't expect to have the same results that we had back when MW2 was at its peak. (Especially when you have parties all over the place)

I'm very interested on how future FPS are gonna handle that issue...
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#8darkshadowmasterPosted 2/5/2013 6:12:36 AM
Silver17 posted...

I still think it's more diversity in bandwidth.

DSL was a lot more common back during the days of MW2.

If that was
Now when you have a room of DSL mixed with Cable and Google Fiber - You can't expect to have the same results that we had back when MW2 was at its peak. (Especially when you have parties all over the place)

I'm very interested on how future FPS are gonna handle that issue...

I don't believe it's that. If that was the case then it wouldn't only be the last 2 CoDs getting hit with these connection issues & would be every FPS out there.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#9fatclemenzaPosted 2/5/2013 8:45:59 AM
Think of it this way: if there was no lag, awful players would never get kills, and they wouldn't want to play as much lol. Just think of all the times some player without half of his brain gets a kill on you that he wouldn't get under optimal conditions. Those 7-14 players would turn into 1-20 players. More uncontrollable lag is like the handicap bar in older games.
---
Advertising signs, they con you into thinking you’re the one
That can do what’s never been done, that can win what’s never been won
#10NinjaDeath911Posted 2/5/2013 8:53:06 AM
I just hope they are taking the past 6 games worth of money they generated and give us dedicated servers on the next consoles

Bf3 was a poor port but their servers were lag less when I played