If I buy beer for a minor I go to jail, but if I...

#21Lerp85Posted 2/5/2013 12:01:42 PM
__redxiii__ posted...
I don't think video games cause violence or "kill" people. I'm just saying there is a double standard. If parents want to use videogames as a scapegoat then they [the parents] need to be held to a higher level of responsibility.

I agree 100%.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/gamelerp85?feature=mhee
My youtube. I just started it, but am making gameplay vids. Nothing special. Check it out.
#22Mr_Awesomeness1Posted 2/5/2013 12:03:31 PM
Lerp85 posted...
__redxiii__ posted...
I don't think video games cause violence or "kill" people. I'm just saying there is a double standard. If parents want to use videogames as a scapegoat then they [the parents] need to be held to a higher level of responsibility.

I agree 100%.

my heart be still....
---
"I'm Awesomer Than Everyone Else," - Mr. Awesomeness
#23Lord_TenseEyePosted 2/5/2013 12:09:36 PM
What kind of topic is this? Drinking has more serious and immediate consequences. The amount of alcohol consumption required to "get drunk" would be considerably less.

Too much could even have more severe consequences.
#24Kovalchuk_Posted 2/5/2013 12:13:25 PM
Alcohal would be a direct cause and video games are an indirect cause.
---
Gamefaqs:
http://thechive.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/too-true-g1.gif
#25andrewk531Posted 2/5/2013 12:22:49 PM
i let my son play this and he is 2. he has yet to go on a violent rampage.
---
USMC Cpl Erickson, Andrew K
#26__redxiii__(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:22:51 PM
Lord_TenseEye posted...
What kind of topic is this? Drinking has more serious and immediate consequences. The amount of alcohol consumption required to "get drunk" would be considerably less.

In my experience alcohol affects everyone differently. I'm one of those happy go lucky drunks while some of my friends are the type to get drunk and look for a fight. More times than not violence involving alcohol is directed at an individual for a specific reason. But when someone goes and commits a mass shooting they always go, "Well he played a lot of videogames."
#27__redxiii__(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:24:30 PM
andrewk531 posted...
i let my son play this and he is 2. he has yet to go on a violent rampage.

Well maybe your kid can be a case study. Speaking psychologically he probably doesn't know what's going on or will remember it. But maybe it stays in his subconscious and ignited later in life.
#28Lord_TenseEyePosted 2/5/2013 12:34:14 PM
__redxiii__ posted...
Lord_TenseEye posted...

In my experience alcohol affects everyone differently. I'm one of those happy go lucky drunks while some of my friends are the type to get drunk and look for a fight. More times than not violence involving alcohol is directed at an individual for a specific reason. But when someone goes and commits a mass shooting they always go, "Well he played a lot of videogames."

A minor would be affected by alcohol a lot more strongly than they'd be affected by a video game.

It's a FACT that alcohol affects the central nervous system (by suppressing it). While in this state a person cannot reason as well (hence why you shouldn't drink and drive or sign legal documents while drunk).

As for the video games leading to violence argument, the media always likes to spin bull**** as facts.

The point I'm trying to make is that what people (or the media) says isn't always factual. But it is a fact that alcohol suppresses the CNS which is pretty serious.
#29__redxiii__(Topic Creator)Posted 2/5/2013 12:37:18 PM
Yea I understand that. But... (now this is going to be a HUGE stretch) people use past experiences as excuses for things they did all the time. "I was cheated on by every guy I've dated so I hate men... which led me to stab my boyfriend 22 times and shoot him in the back of the head." Like Mr. Marine's kid here, his entire subconscious until he develops actual memory is going to be full of images of shooting people.
#30Lord_TenseEyePosted 2/5/2013 12:37:29 PM
Also, not everyone goes on a killing spree when you buy them a video game. Whereas if a minor consumed alcohol they could be affected negatively depending on the consumed amount (and the concentration).

That being said, I'd say it's pretty stupid that people buy their kids cod. If you're gonna get them a game, get them a single player game which they can easily play. Don't get them this game where they're going to most likely do bad and get yelled at by some foul mouthed jerk every game.