Why is MW2 suddenly considered good

#11__redxiii__Posted 2/6/2013 12:25:56 AM
thelightness posted...
I had the exact same question for BO after MW3 was released. I can understand why people would view BO more favorably with MW3 as a comparison, but I still maintain that BO was the worst CoD ever, and I know it was absolutely hated when it came out.

What was so bad about BO? Great weps, great maps, great perk selection.
#12stixzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:26:32 AM
BipBapBam posted...
Well, it's literally one patch away from being perfect.

so is halo 4... and that wont ever happen
---
Join in on live CoD/Fallout gameplay
www.twitch.tv/ke7chum
#13BipBapBamPosted 2/6/2013 12:28:30 AM
stixzilla posted...
BipBapBam posted...

Halo 4 has A LOT more problems.
---
I'm careless, but I care.
GT: Noitrez
#14stixzilla(Topic Creator)Posted 2/6/2013 12:33:29 AM
BipBapBam posted...
stixzilla posted...
BipBapBam posted...

Halo 4 has A LOT more problems.

arguable

Halo 4 has more problems than any other Halo, but instead of being 1 patch away from being perfect, they could have gotten it right by releasing it 4 months later with more maps, fixed game mechanics
---
Join in on live CoD/Fallout gameplay
www.twitch.tv/ke7chum
#15JVel91Posted 2/6/2013 12:36:55 AM
Made_of_fail posted...
stixzilla posted...
I'll admit that I'm a casual cod fan

---
EMS
#16arena11Posted 2/6/2013 12:38:14 AM(edited)
__redxiii__ posted...
thelightness posted...
I had the exact same question for BO after MW3 was released. I can understand why people would view BO more favorably with MW3 as a comparison, but I still maintain that BO was the worst CoD ever, and I know it was absolutely hated when it came out.

Great weapons, you mean the Famas/Aug and the 74u right? Every other weapon is basically outclassed. There are some 2nd place weapons such as the Galil, Commando, Enfield, Spas-12, and MP5k, but they aren't nearly as good as the top tier.

The maps weren't half bad.

The perks weren't that great, 3 of 5 blue perks were outclassed. Sleight of Hand dominated the 2nd tier by far and Steady Aim and Warlord only saw moderate use. Third tier had Second Chance and Marathon was not useful forced due to playing CTF. Which is not fun solo.
#17thelightnessPosted 2/6/2013 12:38:43 AM
__redxiii__ posted...
thelightness posted...

Every gun being a clone, causing the one that is theoretically only slightly better to have an actually large advantage over the other ones (FAMAUG, sometimes Galil), meaning zero real weapon balance, only theoretical weapon balance that doesn't mean anything.

Ghost campers everywhere.

Blackbird spam (but because it was usually the blackbird of the ghost campers, it made it EVEN HARDER to flush them out).

Blackbirds also quickly lead to chopper gunner and dogs, making the main reason to play this game camping for killstreaks.

Very insipid maps. There are a few good ones, but spawns in objective modes are terrible (fine in TDM and FFA).

Equipment separate from lethals and tacticals caused a lot of claymore and motion sensor spam, rewarding campers even more.

Little perk balance as well. Because of equipment, hacker was best 3rd tier perk (although tac mask is good as well). SoH is best tier 2 perk. Ghost overwhelmingly is the best tier 1 perk, and Flak Jacket is good for objective modes, but not much else. Having only 1 or 2 good perks per category is absolutely horrible balance. Treyarch has also demonstrated with this game that they still don't understand the definition of perk balance.

The unlock system is stupid, essentially unlocking everything when you prestige, needing only CoD points, so people immediately unlock the OP perks, stifling variety anymore.

Essentially, BO catered to only 1 way to play: camping like a boyscout. It was insipid, boring, and uncreative. There was absolutely zero variety.
#18Zero IXPosted 2/6/2013 12:40:43 AM
Activision forced IW to release MW2 in an almost unfinished state and the game not only suffered from a lack of support during its release window, but continues to suffer from the most egregious game design flaws of any Call of Duty.

However, it's loved because it is the most functional post-CoD4 installment from a technical standpoint. Even casual players can detect when they're getting screwed by the game.
---
"An Incandescent Revelation in a World of Darkened Forms"
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
#19__redxiii__Posted 2/6/2013 12:48:16 AM
Idk I played BLOPS1 with a full team all of the time, haven't played solo since W@W. You guys sound bitter about getting beat down by blackbirds/dogs/chopper gunner. The same things you're crying about in BO1 exists in every other COD. Once again you're confusing overused with overpowered. I don't remember anyone crying about people only using m4/m16 on cod4, don't remember people crying about type95/ACR in MW3.
#20Who_ate_the_piePosted 2/6/2013 12:49:42 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...
arena11 posted...
Suddenly? I always thought it was the best.

This. MW2 is objectively superior when it comes to the finer details. This is disregarding the noob tubing and other obvious stuff, however,

This. Also, the maps were pretty damn good.
---
I don't care.