Do you think silencer is too good?

#11TheohazardPosted 2/21/2013 2:03:31 AM
Spinalsniper posted...
Technically speaking, it's an extension of the barrel which should give it more range.

No, it's not an extension of the barrel. A suppressor has baffles designed to slow down the escape of gases. It's true that a suppressor often provides a tiny boost in bullet velocity, but that's not even remotely similar to a barrel extension.

Since it cuts out the gas pressure released (making it silent - also inaccurate) it should reduce damage.

A suppressor just quiets the sound of the gasses that escape from the barrel BEHIND the bullet. Modern suppressors have baffles that are designed in such a way that the bullet never touches them. A well-made and properly-mounted suppressor will often increase accuracy because it dampens barrel vibrations.
---
0331: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
#12SpinalsniperPosted 2/21/2013 2:08:52 AM
Theohazard posted...
Spinalsniper posted...
Technically speaking, it's an extension of the barrel which should give it more range.

No, it's not an extension of the barrel. A suppressor has baffles designed to slow down the escape of gases. It's true that a suppressor often provides a tiny boost in bullet velocity, but that's not even remotely similar to a barrel extension.

Since it cuts out the gas pressure released (making it silent - also inaccurate) it should reduce damage.

A suppressor just quiets the sound of the gasses that escape from the barrel BEHIND the bullet. Modern suppressors have baffles that are designed in such a way that the bullet never touches them. A well-made and properly-mounted suppressor will often increase accuracy because it dampens barrel vibrations.

I see your point...here's mine. The barrel is longer with a suppressor than without. Hence why it should increase range *depending on how it's made. Some are made with riffling too.

Rsix3 did this in their game
---
If there are two evils, I'll try the one I haven't done yet.
Gamer tag: Spinal101
#13lolcharizardPosted 2/21/2013 2:50:51 AM
roach06 posted...
Not really, i IS a good attachment, but its one of the only ones that give a disadvantage as well as an advantage. Plus it sucks in hardcore.

Rapid fire and the recoil increase with the dual band and variable zoom scope on LMGs say hi.
---
TRY TO REMEMBER THE BASICS OF CQC
#14Silver17Posted 2/21/2013 3:56:36 AM
IronMonkey008 posted...
BS_Infinite posted...
NeedMoreMoney posted...
Stock is superior.

Is stock too good?

Stock is only superior for AR and LMG to compete with SMG. and that is a required attachment that gives them one less attachment option to play with so no it's definitely not to good (it was pre patch on SMG). You don't even need attachments on SMG to be honest and as far as suppressor it's hit and miss for me. I like it on AR and LMG but I haven't really had much success with it on SMG, I feel like I'm getting outgunned all the time by non suppressed SMG users.

^ 100% Agrees with everything there.

Suppressor used to be awesome for SMGs, but that nerf that went into effect a couple of updates ago IMO has made Suppressor almost as useless as grip...
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#15Jeh64Posted 2/21/2013 5:21:49 AM
Good but not too good IMO
#16TheohazardPosted 2/21/2013 7:54:43 AM
Spinalsniper posted...
I see your point...here's mine. The barrel is longer with a suppressor than without. Hence why it should increase range *depending on how it's made. Some are made with riffling too.

Sure, I don't care if you want to do this for game purposes. I thought you wanted to do this for realism purposes. And as far as realism goes, you were were wrong about both the range and accuracy.

And the suppressors you're referring to that have rifling, those are integral suppressors that are built over part of the existing barrel; holes are cut into the barrel to slow the bullet's acceleration and begin the process of quieting the gasses. This is how the MP5SD's suppressor works and it slows the bullet down and gives you much LESS range.

Modern suppressors that are designed to fit on the the end of the gun don't have rifling and therefore don't extend effective barrel length.
---
0331: "If you run, you'll only die tired."
#17HaganPosted 2/21/2013 7:58:24 AM
Suppressor is horrible in this game. The range reduction isnt worth not appearing on radar.
---
XBL GT= illidan z
http://www.youtube.com/user/illidanz
#18QualiTPosted 2/21/2013 8:05:04 AM
With these small ass maps and a guy round every corner, you cant afford to be on the radar, cuz when you fire you can pretty much garuntee there will be about 4 guys flocking straight towards you.

You can get away with it on bigger maps, but since this title doesnt have many big maps, its really worth running.
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
http://i.imgur.com/FjisB.gif
#19gameflakPosted 2/21/2013 10:23:43 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#20gameflakPosted 2/21/2013 10:30:25 AM(edited)
Spinalsniper posted...
Theohazard posted...
Spinalsniper posted...

The only thing that increases range with a longer barrel is rifling in that extra length. So, there's no way a suppressor could increase range. In fact, in all probability it reduces range, because the suppressor causes the bullet to travel slower than the speed of sound, which is how a suppressor works. So the in-game mechanics work exactly as they're supposed to; by reducing range and thereby reducing damage at range.
---
What would happen if I hired two private investigators to follow each other?