Total time played? Also, are you buying PS4 or Xbox 720?

#71BrostachePosted 2/14/2013 11:21:22 PM
elchris79 posted...
Brostache posted...
elchris79 posted...
I think you're right. Back when the last consoles were released they were absolute cutting edge, maybe not in pure processing power but in the boxed system. Now, people are hugely underwhelmed by the stats they're showing, doubting that the AMD over Intel thing both next gen consoles have is anything less than hugely short sighted and underpowered, and just thinking the grass might be greener. If steam box can show console like ease with pc like tea bagging of consoles I will happily pay 3 to 4 times more for a consistently superior console like experience. I do not want my console to allow me to check Facebook, or watch Netflix. I have other things for that. I want pure gaming power and accessibility. I think it's a reasonable ask, especially with Steam being relatively unattached to profit whoring at the mo.

I dont really know anything about the steambox or ps4 or 720.

To be honest I dont think its horribly short sighted for consoles to not go cutting edge anymore. They are currently putting out pretty impressive graphics for how weak they are. I think the era of brute forcing graphics on the back of hardware is coming to a bit of an end.

Average consumers dont really seem to be demanding huge graphical advancements. Even big budget PC exclusives like D3 and SC2 are bucking the trend of catering to high end rigs... PC hardware manufacturers seem to be shifting more towards portability with gaming tablets and laptops. I think graphical upgrades are beginning to hit the point of diminishing returns and the average consumer is prioritizing things like affordability, ease of use, and portability over improved graphics more than they ever have in the past.

I'd agree with you man, if I hadn't read a fair bit about steam box. It's a wonderful idea. Not one that'll stop me buying next gen console, but one that'll make me hesitant about buying the same number if games for them, and ditching them very fast if it gets the support it deserves.

Full disclosure i have no love for valve/steam. As an old school PC gamer, getting home with my boxed copy of half life 2 and being forced to sign up for steam made me and most PC gamers at the time livid with the draconian DRM of valve. Its the first instance of a single player PC game i can remember, that required an online connection to play. I still have a chip on my shoulder ;)

I also cant imagine a steam box really panning out logistically, if it uses a controller... playing online against KB/M users would be digital suicide. So the need to use a KB/M would would negate the usefulness of having a compact PC capable of sitting under the tv.

They cant sell the hardware at a loss as they dont have licensing fees for games to make up the diference, and they probably cant bargain much with hardware manufacturers to lower costs as they dont have a proven market nor guaranteed sales volume.

Just from a practical standpoint, it seems like it will probably end up just being an overpriced computer in an HTPC case. Which probably isnt going to attract much interest from console or PC gamers.
#72Crack_FoxPosted 2/15/2013 12:27:04 AM
3 Days
To be honest there is a massive variety of systems coming out, im going to wait and discuss with friends before I make any speedy decisions.
Will definitely be purchasing a OUYA or Gamestick in june, but haven't decided what one yet.
---
Official Chaos Uchigatana of the Dark Souls Board.
#73DarkPizzelPosted 2/15/2013 9:06:50 AM
Brostache posted...
DarkPizzel posted...
U didnt need an 8800 in 2k5. I was rocking a 6600 gt on an old athlon dual core. I was running bf2 on med just fine. Those werent even out til late 2006.

I guess i see it another way. Im comparing bf2 arma 1 enemy territory or quake wars to the xbox games of the early 360 days. Look at the horrible console ports that some of those games had compared to pc.

In 2007 i went to my buddys house to watch him play bf3 on medium settings and it blew me away. Thats when i started buulding my first rig.

My reply was more to the point someone said that 720 will be so much more powerful in 7 years than good pc machine. From the rumors of the hardware we are seeing i cant agree. Im not the only one underwhelmed by the specs.

If this console goes that long it will be far more outdated than the current ones are after 7-8 years. This generation should not have gone this long. It hurt us the gamers that it did.

You didnt need it, I also had a 6600GT back in the day (then a 7800GT then an 8800GTX, I used to build new rigs or upgrade every year as back then new PC games really used to really push hardware)... but that couldnt compare to what the 360 could put out.

I think in 2005/2006 most people didnt have HDTVs so they didnt fully appreciate the graphics a 360 was pushing... which is why most people dont realize how advanced the 360 was in comparison to PCs.

but yea i dont know the specs of any of the new consoles, i was just making a point as to the comment of 360 being outdated when it was released.... it definitely wasnt.

But in the same way modern PC gamers arent buying a new GPU or building a new rig every year like people used to do back in the day... shows these times are a changing. Most people just arent prioritizing graphics the same way they used to.

I hear ya on all points.
It has always annoyed me in the pc world some devs just push the graphics too much and makes it harder for a broader audience.

It does seem that is changing a little. Steambox and such may make devs not nake these cpu/gpu hog games like crysis 1 ,arma 2 gta4 so they can make more sales.

Also f2p is the new big thing on pc so making games unplayable wont make them money
---
Q9300@2.8 ghz , Msi 750i P7N, 4gb gskill
MSI gtx 560 Ti Twin Frozer Win 7 64 bit
#74Wookie_Is_BackPosted 2/15/2013 10:13:50 AM
DarkPizzel posted...
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
DarkPizzel posted...
Im reusing a 560 ti, hdd and psu.

But for 500 i just ordered
I5 3570k
Biostar z77 mobo corsair vengeance ram
Kingston hyper x3 ssd 128gb
Haf 912
Hyper 212 evo
Got my gfx card on the cheap 6 months ago and deal on psu couple years back

On a budget u can build an entire pc rig that will blow the doors off the new consoles that arent even out yet.

Gaming pcs do not need to be 1500 and consoles are released with outdated hardware.

No computer built in 2005(on a good budget) could run Skyrim on par with how the 360/PS3 run it.

You do know that all these newer games like Skyrim and Bf3 run on super ultra low to even be playable at 30fps on console. So it's nothing special that they run on the console at those frames. A 2005 pc can do that too if the pc version had those ultra low settings unlocked.

I think some people are just console washed. Consoles aren't even on the level of a mid range gaming pc. Also consoles are so restricted now and are looking to be even more so if this whole used game/internet required thing goes live with them. (I hope neither does).

Yes, I realize they're not at max settings. However, I've seen Skyrim on the lowest settings and the 360 ****s on that. Same with battlefield. Both games are gorgeous on the 360 and even moreso on PC. Thing is, the console is the same price as a decent video card + processor. Then you gotta buy the case, RAM, PSU, sound card if you want, HDD, KB+M, speakers and a MOBO.

Consoles are cheaper, they always have been and always will be. Not to mention they have the party aspect in their favor. I can't take my tower somewhere and have 3 people plug in their controllers and we play splitscreen.
#75DarkPizzelPosted 2/15/2013 10:39:16 AM
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
DarkPizzel posted...
Wookie_Is_Back posted...
DarkPizzel posted...
Im reusing a 560 ti, hdd and psu.

But for 500 i just ordered
I5 3570k
Biostar z77 mobo corsair vengeance ram
Kingston hyper x3 ssd 128gb
Haf 912
Hyper 212 evo
Got my gfx card on the cheap 6 months ago and deal on psu couple years back

On a budget u can build an entire pc rig that will blow the doors off the new consoles that arent even out yet.

Gaming pcs do not need to be 1500 and consoles are released with outdated hardware.

No computer built in 2005(on a good budget) could run Skyrim on par with how the 360/PS3 run it.

You do know that all these newer games like Skyrim and Bf3 run on super ultra low to even be playable at 30fps on console. So it's nothing special that they run on the console at those frames. A 2005 pc can do that too if the pc version had those ultra low settings unlocked.

I think some people are just console washed. Consoles aren't even on the level of a mid range gaming pc. Also consoles are so restricted now and are looking to be even more so if this whole used game/internet required thing goes live with them. (I hope neither does).

Yes, I realize they're not at max settings. However, I've seen Skyrim on the lowest settings and the 360 ****s on that. Same with battlefield. Both games are gorgeous on the 360 and even moreso on PC. Thing is, the console is the same price as a decent video card + processor. Then you gotta buy the case, RAM, PSU, sound card if you want, HDD, KB+M, speakers and a MOBO.

Consoles are cheaper, they always have been and always will be. Not to mention they have the party aspect in their favor. I can't take my tower somewhere and have 3 people plug in their controllers and we play splitscreen.

I never said pc was cheaper..i even said that a few posts back.

Ive seen skyrim batman and bf3 on xbox and pc.

Even on low the pc versions blow the xbox versions away. Its not even close. Maybe if u play the pc version on 1024x768 or some other crap resolution. 1080P only for me.
---
Q9300@2.8 ghz , Msi 750i P7N, 4gb gskill
MSI gtx 560 Ti Twin Frozer Win 7 64 bit
#76murdokthegreat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 2:15:54 PM
I didn't know xbox 360 was so advanced compared to PCs when it first came out. Looks like that won't be the case for either console this time
#77elchris79Posted 2/15/2013 2:30:51 PM
murdokthegreat posted...
I didn't know xbox 360 was so advanced compared to PCs when it first came out. Looks like that won't be the case for either console this time

That's the big problem for a lot of folk. Back then it was 'wow, NEED this'. As years went on it got very stale, even with programmers optimising what they had to work with. The next gen would only have been next gen 3 years ago. They've got disgustingly complacent, and think their integration with web services will save them. For people who lve games it certainly shouldn't.
#78murdokthegreat(Topic Creator)Posted 2/15/2013 3:34:28 PM
While that may be true, we have to ask what's the extra benefit of having a cutting edge-graphic powerhouse vs a still very significantly optimized gaming console compared to last gen. I think gaming consoles have reached the point where extra powerful specs won't lead to anything spectacularly different than cutting edge. If games can be ran at 60fps in ultra HD running at 1080p with a $400 price, I'd rather buy that than the console that runs at 80fps in ultra HD running at 1080p with a $700 price.
#79TheFeshPincePosted 2/15/2013 3:46:40 PM
3 minutes, no
---
You wanna make me a sandwich?
#80Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 2/15/2013 6:52:48 PM
After looking at the articles on the Steam Box, I may actually get that at some point. Seems like if it is done right it can be the killer of the other consoles.
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....