What are you hoping for when it comes to next gen controllers? Also,...

#1Soul_On_DisplayPosted 2/14/2013 9:28:04 PM
Also, will your desired controller features help improve on your CoD/FPS experience?

Here's a quick vid about the supposedly leaked PS4 controller from a dev kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ6lYpR9KkQ

In terms of that PS4 controller, I think the noticeable improvements look good. It will hopefully get tweaked in the looks department, though. I love Sony, but that controller does look a little on the ugly side to me.

I would like next gen controllers to have some improved ergonomics in terms of button layouts, like adding paddle-like buttons to imitate Scufs. We probably won't see that happen, but it would make FPS games or any game with a moving camera a lot easier. It sucks having to let go of the camera to jump or etc.

I most certainly want well-designed analog sticks. I hate how stiff 360 analog sticks are (giggity). The stiffness always interfered with micro-adjusting my camera for fine aiming. To play comfortably, I need to use a FPS freek on the camera stick. I always liked the PS3 controller's softer analog sticks and domed top, but there was an annoying dead-zone that bugged me a bit too.

So, yeah. My suggestions are placing buttons in smarter places, and improving the overall height and required movement pressure for analog sticks. What about you guys?
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#2SpinalsniperPosted 2/14/2013 9:56:02 PM
In all honesty, the 360 controller has been, for the most part great. The biggest problems I've had were the rubber coating of the analog sticks breaking off and the crappy D-pad that they tried to fix with a crappy swivel D-pad that breaks.

Buttons:
I wasn't crazy about the bumpers at first, but have grown used to them and if there were any change to the lay out, I would add two buttons beside B and Y making a full six button layout with the option of having them programmable - but be able to function as their own button - mainly for fighters.

Triggers:
The triggers must stay. Any race fan loves the triggers and having the option to maybe dial it down would be nice, but they must stay.

Analog Sticks:
The analog sticks must be more durable and comfortable at the same time, but I expect neither.

Touch/Chat pad
I have no interest in a touch pad, but a chat pad made into the controller would be nice. If nothing else, just for sending PM's and entering codes - but you know that we'll have an Internet Browser that we'll need to type for too.

Batteries:
This generation, we were forced into buying rechargeable batteries. Let's either be able to reuse them on the next controllers or build a better and longer lasting one. Not necessarily in charge time, but duration. I have a few that can't hold a charge.

PS4:
Don't care - they have a controller that honestly their fans like. I don't, but that's not my department.

I think that covers it.
---
If there are two evils, I'll try the one I haven't done yet.
Gamer tag: Spinal101
#3TecmoB0Posted 2/14/2013 9:59:38 PM
i dont care at all about the controller. i care about button customization. i dont know why we're stuck with presets. if i want to shoot with the up d pad so be it

i would like a controller that isn't complete ass with sega roms
---
Souvlaki space station
#4elchris79Posted 2/14/2013 10:01:54 PM
MS need to at least adopt the durability and sensitivity of the dual shock controller. Those parts are waaay better than the Xbox offering. No touch screen gimmicks please, there is no need whatsoever, and no way it makes them better, controllers are about tactile response.
#5MegaTape13Posted 2/14/2013 10:08:29 PM
The 360 controller is cream of the crop, imo. The only improvements I'd really like to see are an 8-direction D-pad, greater stick durability, and programmable buttons.

Paddles/triggers on the back might be nice when I could get used to it.

And please no f***ing motion controls.

That touch screen looks entirely superfluous, btw. I feel the only effect it will have is making the controllers more expensive.
---
Oh the movie never ends...
GT: IHOP 13
#6elchris79Posted 2/14/2013 10:22:32 PM
MegaTape13 posted...
The 360 controller is cream of the crop, imo. The only improvements I'd really like to see are an 8-direction D-pad, greater stick durability, and programmable buttons.

Paddles/triggers on the back might be nice when I could get used to it.

That touch screen looks entirely superfluous, btw. I feel the only effect it will have is making the controllers more expensive.

I can't agree, apart from left stick placement. In every other way it loses out to dualshock, especially in terms of responsiveness. ds2's response, Xbox layout, and a big f*** off to anything touch screen apart from simple menu controls. Serious. There's i reason I bought GTA for the ipad and have played it for approx 15 mins. Those controls don't work.
#7Soul_On_Display(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 10:30:53 PM
MegaTape13 posted...

Agreed.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#8Number11_1Posted 2/14/2013 10:41:09 PM
The controllers for the next gen consoles are HUGE determining factor for which one I choose. And the number one thing I need in controllers are no forced gimmicks. The supposed PS4 controller with the touch pad and share buttons is all fine, as long as the basic function is still just a normal controller.
That being said, I have always preferred the playstation controllers. Sticks are sturdier, I like the symmetrical sticks, I like the flatter buttons, I prefer their Dpad. I can't stress enough, though, that the number one thing I hope for is no forced gimmicks.
#9Silver17Posted 2/14/2013 11:13:53 PM
No motion and no touchscreen.

Heck if I can use my regular 360 controller on the new console I'll be happy...
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#10AtomskVIIPosted 2/14/2013 11:18:18 PM
My hope is that Microsoft ditches their proprietary wireless for the latest Bluetooth.

But seeing as its Microsoft that won't happen.
---
Amen, Hallelujah, Peanut Butter.
GT: November Seven