No weapon is ever the "best weapon."

#1Faust_8Posted 3/2/2013 9:50:39 AM
Seriously.

Suggest any weapon and there's a weapon that utterly pwns it in the right situation.

You say the FAL is the best? It can't compete with shotguns at point blank and has a hard time with SMGs at close range. Snipers have an easier time with long range than it does too.

You say the Mk48 is the best? It can't flank as well as any non-LMG weapon and it's incredibly awkward to use at short ranges.

You can do this with any weapon--no matter what weapon it is, it is never the best in ALL situations. And there are never situations so obscure to never matter, since all ranges from short to long occur in pretty much every map in this game.

If the devs messed up the balance, it's possible that perhaps one weapon is the best weapon IN THAT CATEGORY of weapon, but they're usually different enough that one of them is better at something. It can also be possible for a weapon to be the best at one specific tactic--like perhaps you could say the PDW is the best weapon to use Rapid Fire on. It is also sometimes the case that one weapon is objectively better than another weapon in the same category, if it's true that they share all stats except one is inferior in a few ways (think BO1 Uzi versus Spectre).

But I sigh every time I see someone say X is the "best" weapon or the "best" AR/SMG/LMG/Sniper/shotgun. All the way back in CoD4 you'd see people saying how the M16 is the best weapon in the game but that didn't stop them from rounding a corner and getting one-shotted by a shotgun before they could react.

No weapon is EVER the best AT EVERYTHING. There are only weapons that are best at certain situations.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#2Sega9599Posted 3/2/2013 9:56:59 AM
bro I feel ya.

I'm sick and tired of over generalisations these days. I try to play off them and parody them, but people are literally too thick to understand it.
For example, some guy gets called a hacker by one person. He then posts on here saying "this is what the community does if they lose these days wow" implying that that's what the WHOLE community does, or at least the majority. That's not the case.

and other people say "man cod 4/mw2 was the best and did everything right" and then basically have some crappy argument that's all over the place. "every cod is the same these days/why can't it be like the old cods/every cod should be as different and have as much graphical improvement and innovation in the series as COD1 does to COD4"

insane.

but yeah, there are better weapons than others, but no ultimate 'best' weapon. only popular and easy to use ones.
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#3NyangasmPosted 3/2/2013 9:57:10 AM
UMP af
---
XG21G2D4
Platinum Mad
#43edgy5youPosted 3/2/2013 9:57:16 AM
This is what forum users actually believe
---
Sloooooow down. If you get it you'll regret it nucka
Well did you see that red and blue? What did you think; those lights are for you
#5XolacePosted 3/2/2013 10:07:55 AM
This is probably why I love using the Peacekeeper the most. Everyone says it's garbage but played right any gun can perform well. My favorite part is when people ask what attachments I use on it after a game.
---
GT : XOLACE
#6Gunther482Posted 3/2/2013 10:21:13 AM
Nyangasm posted...
UMP af

The other SMGS killed quicker in CQC, as well as the shotguns. At long range it was fodder for the RPD or the snipers.

Really the only reason why the UMP was as good as it was is that it didn't really have a weakness, but it wasn't the best at any range either.
#7Gengar_OUPosted 3/2/2013 10:28:26 AM
oma dc noobtubes
---
Boosting: that awkward moment when you find two dudes hiding away in secret doing sneaky, frowned-upon things involving insertion.- forgotten0285
#8NidtendofreakPosted 3/2/2013 10:29:02 AM
MP40. 2HK + Juggernaut. Completely controllable recoil.

You don't have to be the best at every single situation to be the best weapon overall in the game. If a weapon is the best weapon at 7/10 different circumstances then guess what? Best weapon in the game right there.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#9Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 3/2/2013 10:45:31 AM
And a shotgun is only good at 1/10 situations and it can still wreck teams that way, including MP40s (in theory, I never played WaW so I don't know how good the shotguns were).

If you play right, you can maximize that 1/10 situation so that you always win. It doesn't matter HOW often the MP40 is the better weapon if it plays into the shotgun user's hands and gets into a point blank encounter.

Being the "best overall" weapon just means it's only the best if you get into "average" encounters. Meaning never being in the long-range sights of a sniper, never being at the wrong end of a shotgun, never trying to enter a doorway a LMG is lighting up, and so on.

There are lots of less obvious strengths too--I mean, it doesn't matter how good you thought the BO1 FAMAS was, it could never kill 6+ people without reloading like the M60 could. The M60 was much, much better at laying down suppressing fire for offense or defense.
---
You are the universe
Expressing itself as a human, for a little while
#10DutchZombiePosted 3/2/2013 10:58:37 AM
BO1 Fam/Aug was better than any weapon in that game in every situation.