If you weren't addicted to CoD, would you still enjoy this game? (long post)

#1Soul_On_DisplayPosted 3/4/2013 9:04:28 AM
That's a trick question. People who are addicted have little idea of what the other side looks like. But there's something to think about. CoD, like a lot of games, actually try to addict players. I shouldn't be stating anything new here.

For those who don't know, like games such as WoW, there's a really good chance that developers intended CoD4 to have addictive properties. Or, they could have coincidentally created a formula of gameplay that just happened to be like crack, then used it to their advantage ever since. But case and point, the game series revolves around it now.

What's that? You're wondering how, exactly? Well, look at it from an objective perspective here. You have a game that has its set of challenges, and if you can pull off the effort to compete them, you get rewarded (i,e. Killstreaks, victories). It's like gambling, how with enough tries, you pull that one moment where everything just went your way and you got massively rewarded. In fact, those killstreak rewards mean everything. Your brain thinks it has accomplished something impressive, so it douses you with a pleasure response. Again, just like gambling. But there is where gambling and gaming stop being similar. In gaming, you can actually control the chances of your rewards. This is the second half that draws players in.

When you lose at gambling, you lose something that you actually need, which is usually money. That and you normally can't control the outcome of your victories. With videogames, you don't lose anything very significant, and when you lose, you normally think, "if I try harder next time, I'll win." With the "I'll just get better" mentality, that makes people come back again and again. People do get better and do control their victories a large portion of the time, but essentially what that creates is a gambling effect that doesn't have the downsides that gambling does. The perfect form of gambling, really. All you need to do is perfect your skills to control how many rewards you get. Then you will get that drug like rush every time you get your rewards, which tends to be quite a bit.

I think a lot of people are leaving CoD because games such as BO2 interfere with just that, the addiction effect. BO2 not only makes it harder to get your rewards with a raised difficulty for survival, but the rewards in BO2 are pretty lame. I popped in CoD4 and MW2 the other day and holy ****, were killstreaks far more powerful back then. Getting killstreaks was less difficult, and when you got them, they REALLY felt like a true reward. In BO2, not even the major rewards guarantee a good number of kills anymore. Plus, nothing we have in BO2 compares to the rush of gaining a nuke/moab. Without the addictive properties, CoD has definitely become more lame. The amount of frustration now overlaps the amount of pleasure you get from rewards/victories.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#2Xian042Posted 3/4/2013 10:56:46 AM
TLDR

But to answer the title question;

BlOps II is the first CoD I've ever played multiplayer in and I'm 100% hooked. Addiction and drive to do better is what brings you back, but quality crafting makes the game "good". So its a combination of both, a well made game with addictive qualities. In other words, If it wasn't addictive, I do think you would look at the game and think they did a good job.
---
Ouch! What do you do?
#3darkshadowmasterPosted 3/4/2013 10:58:52 AM
I'm not addicted to CoD, so I guess that's a yes.

I know I'm not addicted because I do believe I was addicted to WoW for awhile, and played it for 5-6 years before getting tired of it.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#4gobuffalo30Posted 3/4/2013 10:59:21 AM
Killstreaks weren't a reason why I stopped.
#5Soul_On_Display(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 11:35:49 AM
gobuffalo30 posted...
Killstreaks weren't a reason why I stopped.

No, some reason (or collection of reasons) lowered your chances of success in the game, so you're not having fun anymore, aka "BS" deaths. The killstreaks thing I mentioned was to emphasize how even when winning, it's not enough. The point with all this was that the reward is no longer worth the frustration, and as such, the game doesn't feel fun.
---
#6BoyWitArabStrapPosted 3/4/2013 11:49:37 AM
Soul_On_Display posted...

I think a lot of people are leaving CoD because games such as BO2 interfere with just that, the addiction effect. BO2 not only makes it harder to get your rewards with a raised difficulty for survival, but the rewards in BO2 are pretty lame. I popped in CoD4 and MW2 the other day and holy ****, were killstreaks far more powerful back then. Getting killstreaks was less difficult, and when you got them, they REALLY felt like a true reward. In BO2, not even the major rewards guarantee a good number of kills anymore. Plus, nothing we have in BO2 compares to the rush of gaining a nuke/moab. Without the addictive properties, CoD has definitely become more lame. The amount of frustration now overlaps the amount of pleasure you get from rewards/victories.

How does that make any sense whatsoever? Killstreaks like the VSAT, Swarm, Lodestar are way more annoying (and BA) than Choppers and Airstrikes. Even the Sentry Gun in this game is stronger.

How would pre BO2 killstreaks feel like a true reward if they were "easier to get"??

Nukes were fun in MW2, yeah, but it totally encouraged players to be stealthy camping jerks.

I personally think this game is the least addictive than all the other CoDs because there's just so much to do you can have fun in so many ways. Pistol classes are so kewl.
---
Mas tragem Lucifer pra mim
Em una bandeja, pra mim
#7Silver17Posted 3/4/2013 11:58:05 AM
You could make an addiction claim to basically anything. (Although IMO using the "COD to gambling" scenario was a little extreme)

Listen people that play video games generally like to play video games.

The reason why COD works so well is because many agree that it's the best console FPS series. Halo2 use to be the same way, and many gamers like FPS.

BTW your comment about "people leaving COD", 3 COD games are in the XBL top 7. Yes some people are leaving COD, but new people are getting into it. That's happens with any successful product...

http://majornelson.com/2013/02/27/live-activity-for-week-of-february-18th/
---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#8fatclemenzaPosted 3/4/2013 11:59:30 AM
I like Call of Duty, so I went back to CoD4 for my fix. Less perks and equipment means players are on even ground more often, instead of the BO2 style of "choose what you don't want to die to and be vulnerable to the rest". I rarely lose gunfights.
---
Advertising signs, they con you into thinking you’re the one
That can do what’s never been done, that can win what’s never been won
#9Soul_On_Display(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 11:59:56 AM
BoyWitArabStrap posted...
How would pre BO2 killstreaks feel like a true reward if they were "easier to get"??

Nukes were fun in MW2, yeah, but it totally encouraged players to be stealthy camping jerks.

I personally think this game is the least addictive than all the other CoDs because there's just so much to do you can have fun in so many ways. Pistol classes are so kewl.

I'll translate this using my gambling analogy. It doesn't matter if you could easily get a jackpot with a slot machine often. What matters is how great the reward is. Getting a bunch of money or getting a killstreak like a MW2 chopper gunner were great rewards.

And Pistol classes are cool, but without the addiction factor, CoD's not the same game. It's a game that pisses people off, but keeps them playing because they still enjoy those moments of absolute carnage when things go right. In BO2 we have a greater difficulty in gaining rewards because of all the BS, plus the rewards aren't even worth it most of the time. That makes BO2 a lot less fun if you play for a serious amount of time (7+ days).
---
#10GODx_x666Posted 3/4/2013 12:10:38 PM
I stopped when i read it is like crack, Have you ever used CRACK...

I think Call of Duty is fun but i never used my mouth to please a person for COD.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mikeof666/videos
Check out my videos i go nukkin futts...