Has Call of Duty ruined the future of shooters?

#1HouseOfBladesPosted 3/4/2013 10:03:28 PM
I was listening to the creators of Bioshock say they talked to CoD fans (They said they talked to college students.), asking them if they heard of Bioshock, and they said they haven't, to appeal to this crowd they changed BioShock Infinite's art work draw them in. (We all seen many other games go with the single man/solider covers before, but come on.)

The new Gears of War changes things up by making it more rifle friendly cause the causal CoD player couldn't handle the shotgun fest.

There's many other games that have took a page or two from CoD since it came out in 03 but nothing to this point have I seen so many games try to appeal to this crowd. To me I think it cripples the future of other shooters. From a bushiness stand point I get it, the needs of few over the needs of many, but games today are changing too much to hold these players hands.
#2ICantNameGudPosted 3/4/2013 10:05:54 PM
I love CoD but yeah it has. We'll never get Time Splitters 4
---
The best part about video games is the youtube videos
~Everyone, 2012, the year of Our Lord.
#3Kant_Remoob_EhtPosted 3/4/2013 10:10:20 PM
ICantNameGud posted...
I love CoD but yeah it has. We'll never get Time Splitters 4

I concur.... why can't someone try their hand at the timespllitters IP?
---
GT: Boomer and Tank
Pretty darn confident..... I don't want to have to wait till the Microendony XBOXS 4ii comes out another 15 years later....
#4HouseOfBlades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 10:16:03 PM
Oh man now you bring Time Splitters up, my dead dreams of a new UT game surface. -_-
#5xMr_PolyxPosted 3/4/2013 10:18:26 PM
It has definitely ruined shooters. You nailed it with the part about the sheer amount of other shooters that tried to cater to the CoD fans. Even id Software, the creators of Doom, have gone the CoD direction with RAGE. Why else would it have regenerating health, sights, and an overabundance of cover-using punks with guns? At this rate, Doom 4 will probably have a 2-weapon limit and a 5-hour campaign.

Speaking of Gears, Epic Games has stopped caring about the Unreal franchise since 2007, because they found out that cover-based shooters are more popular, which is why they now only make Gears of War. I blame most of it on the success of CoD4. Now everybody wants to copy its formula and abandon what they used to do, AKA what used to set them apart from the crowd. Yeah, Gears was unique when it first came out, but at this point it's a dime-a-dozen shooter designed to cater to the CoD fans.

TL;DR answer: Yes.
---
PSN: xMrPolyx, XBL: Mister Poly
League of Legends: MrPoly
#6BipBapBamPosted 3/4/2013 10:22:45 PM
Currently, yeah. In the long run, I doubt it. CoD will probably die off in the next few years.

I really hope it does.
---
Victory is my destiny.
GT: Noitrez
#7aNiceLayPosted 3/4/2013 10:25:43 PM
No because there will still be the borderlands and the fallouts that do it right
---
GT: The 17th Bronco
Currently Playing: BO2, Borderlands 2, AC3
#8Mumble_Posted 3/4/2013 10:28:12 PM
Yes. I dont hate CoD, but its actually bad because of how popular it is. Everyone wants a piece of that huge CoD audience.
---
HELLO!!!
#9HouseOfBlades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 10:30:46 PM
aNiceLay posted...
No because there will still be the borderlands and the fallouts that do it right

True, but those RPG shooters give you more than just the run of the mill shooter, when you grind out in those games it pays off, in today's first person shooters, the best you get is some flamboyant skin for your weapon...

Yet you are right, there is some light at the end of the tunnel, the question is, do more people want to exit the tunnel? The way today's games are going, it seems like they rather enter this tunnel then try to coax people out of it. (I know I got so deep with my saying you can't even see me.)
#10FeelMyBladePosted 3/4/2013 10:31:25 PM
No, not really.

If another company tries to copy CoD, it is their fault for ruining their own shooter.
---
Currently Playing: Black Ops 2