Has Call of Duty ruined the future of shooters?

#21Mumble_Posted 3/4/2013 10:58:34 PM
FeelMyBlade posted...
HouseOfBlades posted...
FeelMyBlade posted...
No, not really.

If another company tries to copy CoD, it is their fault for ruining their own shooter.

Yet more companies are appealing to this crowd that number in millions and can't even play another shooter without someone holding their hand half the time, why we've seen so many games change to fit the needs of the many, this causing a back-stab to the hardcore gamers of the series. Companies are made or broken by one game half the time, it they can't appeal to a large number they're dead in the water.

So let me ask this, would you back stab your few die hard fans, for a new large crowd you'll have to dumb down for?

Well, you can't really blame CoD, or anything that is popular. It isn't CoD who is stabbing other game's diehard fans, but the blame belongs to the company that choose to copy.

Claiming that they cannot survive without appealing to CoD fans is ridiculous. Rather than trying to copy another game's formula, they should innovate on their own formula to improve.

I think everyone in this topic is speaking from a consumers point of view.

Its simply a fact that most shooters are imitating CoD. It doesn't matter why, or how. We, the people buying the game, are going to get CoD clones because CoD got popular.

I'm lucky because I like the series. Its probably my most played series of all time. That doesn't mean that I dont get burned out sometimes. Then you have no other choices but games that try and do CoD worse than CoD.

Unless you want to play a different genre. Then thats a different story. >_>
---
HELLO!!!
#22HouseOfBlades(Topic Creator)Posted 3/4/2013 11:04:33 PM
Kirbix posted...
Lol. Umad?

Yeah, pretty damned mad- you're trying to smirch an excellent series that completely proves that the answer to your question is a big fat "NO".

Of course, so does the rest of this topic. Bioshock, Borderlands, Fallout- shooters that don't want to be CoD are not CoD. Half Life has no indication of ever being like CoD; neither does Halo.

Will sellout game companies copy CoD in the future? Of course they will- they did the same thing with Wolfenstein 3D & Doom in the 90s. There's nothing new about that- if it works, people will mimic the idea and milk it for as long as they humanly can.
Being shocked that sheep-ing companies who do it for the money (and lord knows Gears of War is one of those) will blindly copy a game that sells well is naive and ignorant.

Yet you just said that companies will copy CoD for the fact it works for them and companies see how well it does... So companies will dumb things just to appeal to you, and for you to say sheep-ing companies do it for the money and they copy and paste games is pretty much what CoD keeps doing every year and you'll pay 50 bucks for a season pass that isn't worth it and let's not forget the idiots who paid over 100 bucks for a collectors edition please lets not. Lol, you my friend make me smile.
#23FeelMyBladePosted 3/4/2013 11:09:32 PM
HouseOfBlades posted...
FeelMyBlade posted...
HouseOfBlades posted...
FeelMyBlade posted...
No, not really.

If another company tries to copy CoD, it is their fault for ruining their own shooter.

Yet more companies are appealing to this crowd that number in millions and can't even play another shooter without someone holding their hand half the time, why we've seen so many games change to fit the needs of the many, this causing a back-stab to the hardcore gamers of the series. Companies are made or broken by one game half the time, it they can't appeal to a large number they're dead in the water.

So let me ask this, would you back stab your few die hard fans, for a new large crowd you'll have to dumb down for?

Well, you can't really blame CoD, or anything that is popular. It isn't CoD who is stabbing other game's diehard fans, but the blame belongs to the company that choose to copy.

Claiming that they cannot survive without appealing to CoD fans is ridiculous. Rather than trying to copy another game's formula, they should innovate on their own formula to improve.

Yet most companies that do shooters know what they're up against and they have done a good job at trying to run with CoD, if you can handle Battlefield 3's crazy add-on and updates, it's a nice replacement yes, but for other games to try and go their way to only dumb it down seeing it got hard for a different crowd, they figure they rather keep the dumb crowd by making it "easier." and draw that crowd back.

I know there are many CoD fans that say shooters copied them, but they only do it cause their fanbase is so large that it'll make it feel familiar for them, and to me I wish other shooters would stop appealing to such a crappy fanbase.

While I believe it is the fault is mainly the company who is copying, part of the blame goes to gamers as well. Not just CoD or FPS gamers. Games that have an easier learning curve is much more favored than those that are frustratingly challenging. That is not necessarily a bad thing or good thing in this case, since people prefer games they are more comfortable with.

It isn't just about difficulty either. Smoothness in gameplay as well as overall "feel" is another factor in how a person judges a game. One reason why I prefer CoD over Halo is the controls and mechanics.
---
Currently Playing: Black Ops 2
#24FeelMyBladePosted 3/4/2013 11:13:29 PM
Mumble_ posted...
FeelMyBlade posted...
HouseOfBlades posted...
FeelMyBlade posted...
No, not really.

I think everyone in this topic is speaking from a consumers point of view.

Its simply a fact that most shooters are imitating CoD. It doesn't matter why, or how. We, the people buying the game, are going to get CoD clones because CoD got popular.

I'm lucky because I like the series. Its probably my most played series of all time. That doesn't mean that I dont get burned out sometimes. Then you have no other choices but games that try and do CoD worse than CoD.

Unless you want to play a different genre. Then thats a different story. >_>

I can sorta see where your going, but IMO it probably does apply to other genre's too.

For example, I remember back in the PS2 ages, there were a decent amount of difficult RPGs, but you don't find that many these days. Unless of course, you can help me name some.
---
Currently Playing: Black Ops 2
#25KirbixPosted 3/4/2013 11:16:24 PM(edited)
For example, I remember back in the PS2 ages, there were a decent amount of difficult RPGs, but you don't find that many these days. Unless of course, you can help me name some.

I'd be more impressed if you could name a difficult PS2 one, TBH. When I replay games like FFIV and Earthbound, which routinely kick my ass, any games in generations since have been like cakewalks.
---
Signatures that consist of quotes are bizarre- you could falsify a quote and no one would know.-Jesus