Throwing back frags.

#1HarryHedgehogPosted 3/11/2013 10:24:19 AM
"It's a live grenade, he should just scoop it up and lob it somewhere else real quick. Instead my guy picks it up and winds back like he's about to throw it a ****ing mile and it blows up in my face."
- My friend, raging about getting killed while trying to throw back a frag.

He kinda does have a point though. Why does it have to take so long to throw back grenades? If memory serves it's always been this way, or at least since MW2. Unless you're tightly packed in a corner somehow with nowhere to go and the grenade is between your shoes, it's better to just move away from the grenade rather than try and throw it back anyway, excluding Fast Hands resetting the timer.
---
Trying to motivate myself to play: DeathSmiles (1 and 2), Crash Bash, Touhou series, OoT3D Master Quest, Mega Man Legends 1
#2AldousIsDeadPosted 3/11/2013 10:26:13 AM
Fast Hands or bust.
---
In simplicity, utility. Through utility, simplicity.
#3Webmaster4531Posted 3/11/2013 10:27:31 AM
Maybe they should give dead silent/awareness the ability to kick it if standing with L2.
#4theLongR0DPosted 3/11/2013 10:28:36 AM
HarryHedgehog posted...
"It's a live grenade, he should just scoop it up and lob it somewhere else real quick. Instead my guy picks it up and winds back like he's about to throw it a ****ing mile and it blows up in my face."

He kinda does have a point though. Why does it have to take so long to throw back grenades? If memory serves it's always been this way, or at least since MW2. Unless you're tightly packed in a corner somehow with nowhere to go and the grenade is between your shoes, it's better to just move away from the grenade rather than try and throw it back anyway, excluding Fast Hands resetting the timer.

I would suspect you would want to wind up and throw it as far away from you as possible IRL. You just gonna flick it a couple feet away?
#5JonnywestsidePosted 3/11/2013 10:29:06 AM
Same reason you can only sprint for like 2 seconds. To give meaning to a useless perk.
#6Telvanni_guardPosted 3/11/2013 12:12:20 PM
"Same reason you can only sprint for like 2 seconds. To give meaning to a useless perk."

Fast Hands is an undervalued perk. Surprisingly effective depending on loadouts but takes a backseat to Toughness and Cold Blooded.
---
GamerTag: Te1vanni Guard
"Telvanni you would disprove everyone. :D"- Saint_of_Misery
#7GreatKiraLordPosted 3/11/2013 12:18:14 PM
Fast hand....I'd much rather just use flak jacket and go around like a tank.
Hunter Killer killing me is annoying as hell though.
#8HarryHedgehog(Topic Creator)Posted 3/11/2013 12:45:08 PM
theLongR0D posted...
HarryHedgehog posted...

I would suspect you would want to wind up and throw it as far away from you as possible IRL. You just gonna flick it a couple feet away?

The issue is time. If it takes one second to wind up and throw, then you've got the guy throwing the grenade using one second, and then yourself using one second to wind up and try to throw it back. That's two seconds off of the ~5 second timer, and that's not even including time taken for the grenade to travel, time taken for you to reach down and pick it up, or time that the grenade was cooked. By picking up a live grenade and winding up, you're generously assuming that it's not about to explode.

My point is, the time taken to get the grenade as far away as possible is likely impractical. The longer the grenade is in your hand, the more likely it is to splatter you. I'd think it much better to scoop it and flick it away quickly, like a shortstop in Baseball scrambling to field a ground ball and get it to first base.

'Course, I don't know the effective range of IRL grenades, so maybe I am sounding silly right now.

Although just throwing it a couple feet would likely suffice in Call of Duty.
---
Trying to motivate myself to play: DeathSmiles (1 and 2), Crash Bash, Touhou series, OoT3D Master Quest, Mega Man Legends 1
#9slaveanselmoPosted 3/11/2013 1:06:17 PM
GreatKiraLord posted...
Fast hand....I'd much rather just use flak jacket and go around like a tank.
Hunter Killer killing me is annoying as hell though.

That's Tier 1, Fast Hands is a Tier 2 perk.
---
Learn to sense the sarcasm, bro.
#10Telvanni_guardPosted 3/11/2013 1:41:59 PM
"'Course, I don't know the effective range of IRL grenades, so maybe I am sounding silly right now."

Far enough that unless they're in a bunker people will jump on it to save the lives of their fellow soldiers from the blast.

Shrapnel's a scary thing.
---
GamerTag: Te1vanni Guard
"Telvanni you would disprove everyone. :D"- Saint_of_Misery