Why I believe in Lag comp

#11SevenDayCandlePosted 3/17/2013 5:48:43 PM
MasterSplinterW posted...
SevenDayCandle posted...
I'm running FiOS

Averaging 84 down and 39 up. With ping under 100 to Cali when I live in NJ.

I get lag, I get lag comp. They both exist.

hmmmm, now i don't know who to believe

There's 5 types of 'lag' in the game I'd say.

Visual lag, which means that the cameras and player models aren't lined up correctly.
He could be looking left on your screen, but on his screen he's looking right at you. Things like that as well.

Lag Compensation, which seems to be when your connection is much higher than the others in the lobby, your connection gets 'nerfed' and slowed down in order to make it an even playing field. It never works out properly.

Lag on your end, from you having a crappy connection.

Lag from the host, due to the host not having a strong enough connection.

Lag from other players, other players just having crappy connections, or the other players being lag compensated.

There is lag, it's an online game. Every game online has lag, even with dedicated servers.
#12RBEMPosted 3/17/2013 5:56:04 PM
SevenDayCandle posted...
I'm running FiOS

Averaging 84 down and 39 up. With ping under 100 to Cali when I live in NJ.

I get lag, I get lag comp. They both exist.

Believe this guy. ANY online game has 'lag'.

Lag comp in theory makes sense, but then so does communism. Treyarch have struggled to cope with the vast range of different connections you get now - anything from 2.5 down, 1 up to what this guy has and beyond. They try to make it so everyone can play together - they need to ditch this idea because it just doesn't work.

Average internet connections have been getting faster over the years, but the fastest connections have been getting faster quicker. What doesn't make sense is why you get different amounts of 'lag' when you play MW2, MW3 and then BO2. Try it and see. If anything MW2 should lag more because presumably it has less players, so there's greater distance between them - yet it's still the best. The only explanation as far as I can see is that recent CoDs have more lag comp.
---
GT: x Pearl o
#13MasterSplinterW(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2013 5:59:51 PM
yeah, screw people on DSL
---
Sometimes all you learn in defeat, is that you have been defeated. -Master Li------GT: DirkaDurkaJihad
#14SevenDayCandlePosted 3/17/2013 6:31:36 PM
If FiOS is available in your area, I'd consider switching. I used to have Comcast with I think 20/10. This FiOS package is 75/35. Plus I get more channels, better phone crap (who uses the house phone anyway?), and I'm saving at least $80 a month. Plus I got free HBO, Showtime, EPIX, Starz, Cinemax, tons of other premium channels, and a ridiculous amount of On Demand programming.

Even if you're younger and live with your parents still, show them it, make sure the channels you want are on their, and talk to them. Trust me, if you tell your parents they can save money and get more stuff, they'll understand that part lol.
#15nuschler2212Posted 3/18/2013 3:03:13 AM
Explain to me how I can be the host and lag? It's not possible. Unless the game is forcing lag on me.

Lag comp is the worst (by far) when I'm host. The game is unplayable.

Anybody who thinks that lag comp does not exist has absolutely no idea about gaming. It's existed for some time. It needs to occur. And (from game to game) it differs in the extent that it compensates.

Saying lag comp doesn't exist (when it's in every FPS out there) shows your lack of knowledge in gaming. Discount whatever that guys says.

Posted many times on CoD forums:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lag_compensation
---
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I write brilliant posts.
#16nuschler2212Posted 3/18/2013 3:10:14 AM(edited)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2581890641.png

Here's my "crappy" internet connection, since I'm sure that will be the argument.

60ms/21 up and down. Just for fun, I did it to Oregon from Arizona. That's 1176 miles from my house to the testing site.

Also, my xbox is hardwired into the router. My computer is wireless. :)

Enjoy.
---
I put my pants on just like the rest of you, one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I write brilliant posts.