Should I even bother getting a new router?

#1rock1644Posted 3/26/2013 9:26:15 PM
So I currently have this Netgear router. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-122-016&IsVirtualParent=1

We bought it three years ago, and it seemed alright at first. Lately I have had trouble getting the thing to keep giving me Open NAT. I disabled UPnP, forwarded all the ports my Xbox needs, and even gave the system a Static IP address, and I still get Moderate NAT all the time. I reset the router, and it still does it.

I am convinced that my router is what is giving me so much trouble with this game. I'm almost always 1-2 seconds behind everyone, and it only gets worse when I'm host. Lately I can no longer see the people who are shooting me.

My router also does not have QOS, would that have something to do with it? When I try to download something via Steam, it uses all the bandwidth and I get 1-bars in COD. Our Vonage phone service does not work during this, either.

I have been told to get this Asus router. http://www.amazon.com/RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance-single/dp/B00387G6R8

Anyone have any experience with that router? It would be nice if this game actually worked for me.

I also use Comcast for my internet. I don't know if that has anything to do with my issues with COD.
---
Even mare exclusives items for the ahoof gentlemen of the horse club? That's very neighs of them.
#2SevenDayCandlePosted 3/26/2013 9:35:55 PM
COMCAST????

Get FiOS. I did...

Was on the 25/10 plan or whatever with Comcast.
Now on the 75/35 plan with FiOs and it's usually a bit above those speeds (wired).

Switched from $240 a month Comcast bill with the triple play package. To $138 a month with FiOS. With better Internet, more TV channels, more on demand channels, and even got the Premium Package with HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Encore, etc thrown in for free...

The router/modem is an all in 1 unit provided by them. I'm getting speeds of 61/30 or so wirelessly on my laptop, wired its about 80-85/40-42 Mbps.

Also ridiculously low ping times... If it doesn't help you with COD, it'll help your wallet at least. Pay less, get more...
#3MasterSplinterWPosted 3/26/2013 9:37:51 PM
^^dang that's a large comcast bill. I pay like 70 in Indy and I have the best internet they offer
---
Sometimes all you learn in defeat, is that you have been defeated. -Master Li------GT: DirkaDurkaJihad
#4darkshadowmasterPosted 3/26/2013 9:38:05 PM
Your router is fine. If CoD is the only game giving you issues a new router will more than likely not help anything.
---
When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.
#5SevenDayCandlePosted 3/26/2013 9:46:25 PM
MasterSplinterW posted...
^^dang that's a large comcast bill. I pay like 70 in Indy and I have the best internet they offer

Well, we had 3 DVR's @ $17 a month each, then they charged you a monthly fee for the remotes, for the router, and the modem. $10 a month EXTRA for HD channels (not included in the package, HD is optional lol). We had the package we needed to get the channels we normally watch (of course one of Comcasts most expensive). Then we had the phone through them as well. Comcast just nickel and dimed you to death.

Complete BS and a half. FiOS gave me a guaranteed price for the next 2 years... If I want to change anything, I can and the current offers will stay. They cant raise my price though. Also, if they offer faster Internet for less or the same as what I'm paying now, I get upgraded. Same with the channels.... Pretty sick on their end.
#6Webmaster4531Posted 3/26/2013 9:54:53 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7Webmaster4531Posted 3/26/2013 9:59:03 PM
How is your connection when you connect your xbox directly to your modem?
#8rock1644(Topic Creator)Posted 3/26/2013 11:24:48 PM
I haven't tried that yet. I guess if I do that and the game works better I can really consider a new router?
---
Even mare exclusives items for the ahoof gentlemen of the horse club? That's very neighs of them.
#9Webmaster4531Posted 3/27/2013 12:14:53 AM
It's definitely the router if things improve.
#10kingbahamut83Posted 3/27/2013 2:45:17 AM
I have a netgear wnr2000v2 and have no problems on static or dynamic IP. Maybe its just not that compatible with XBL. At least that's what they say about certain routers. I had a dLink wbr2310. It was alright until I had 2 laptops, my phone, Zune, b&n nook reader, Xbox, and the Wii all connected to it.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
The R in my tag is apparently invisible in COD to everyone.