WTF is our billion dollars paying for?

#1billnye69Posted 3/30/2013 6:31:21 AM
Certainly not dedicated servers, that's for sure.

host migration.........host migration..........host migration..................host migration................connection to the host has been lost. V_V
---
The worst mistake a game developer can make is listening to the community. Halo Reach, Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops 2 are the ending result.....enough said.
#2SevenDayCandlePosted 3/30/2013 6:34:47 AM
It's paying to put the likeness of David Vonderphard into the game and all their promotions with esports and MLG.
---
GG TREYARCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfj-JvI0XI
#3BansheeNTDmodePosted 3/30/2013 6:37:17 AM
It goes to making commercials with celebrities for their next cod so they can fill their pockets with more money.

Im going to get battlefield 4 next
#4moridin7632Posted 3/30/2013 9:28:06 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#5LoshadtPosted 3/30/2013 9:53:49 AM
Because there's a metric f***ton of players on consoles and dedicated servers to support that many players was deemed in official terminology as "way too f***ing expensive to be worth it".

I look forward to answering this question the next 100,000 times this topic shows up over the course of the series.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#6heartherevengePosted 3/30/2013 10:06:26 AM
Loshadt posted...
Because there's a metric f***ton of players on consoles and dedicated servers to support that many players was deemed in official terminology as "way too f***ing expensive to be worth it".

I look forward to answering this question the next 100,000 times this topic shows up over the course of the series.

do you have a cost figure set up showing that this to be true? or are you just going with what everybody else is saying?

i just dont see how this could be true, when they are making tons of money on product and they could always transfer them from game to game after the game is deemed "dead" in which just revert back to using the hosts. pretty much what EA does with every sports game they have.
---
psn::heartherevenge
GT: heretherevenge
#7Lerp85Posted 3/30/2013 10:14:13 AM
Dedicated servers still have lag, still have disconnection issues, and plenty of there own issues. If there were dedicated servers you would complain in a year or two that you can't play said game any longer too.
---
https://www.youtube.com/user/gamelerp85?feature=mhee
My youtube. I just started it, but am making gameplay vids. Nothing special. Check it out.
#8Error_IDELGPosted 3/30/2013 10:15:17 AM
so they can copy/paste some more brah
#9LoshadtPosted 3/30/2013 10:23:03 AM(edited)
From: heartherevenge | Posted: 3/30/2013 1:06:26 PM | #006
i just dont see how this could be true, when they are making tons of money on product and they could always transfer them from game to game after the game is deemed "dead" in which just revert back to using the hosts. pretty much what EA does with every sports game they have.

Of course I don't have exact figures, but the initial cost alone would probably be around $6000 for hardware and software, this is of course ignoring the cost of electricity, bandwidth, and maintenance. While relatively inexpensive for a single server, keep in mind how many servers they would need to host the millions of CoD players at once.

Edit: After some extremely rough estimation (I'm talking wiping your ass with sandpaper rough) I figure the cost to be somewhere in the ballpark of 4 Million a year.
---
Russian is my first language, so yes there may be a spelling error or two.
I <3 Jesus.
#10heartherevengePosted 3/30/2013 10:24:43 AM
Loshadt posted...
From: heartherevenge | Posted: 3/30/2013 1:06:26 PM | #006

Of course I don't have exact figures, but the initial cost alone would probably be around $6000 for hardware and software, this is of course ignoring the cost of electricity, bandwidth, and maintenance. While relatively inexpensive for a single server, keep in mind how many servers they would need to host the millions of CoD players at once.

probably would be a little more for start up. probably around 100,000$ for the 5000,10000 servers youd need. and adding in all the "monthly" upkeeping expenses youre probably looking at, honestly this is just a guess, 1 mil over the life of the game. yeah thats 1 less million they wouldnt profit on, but in hindsight, if they charge the $10 for pre owned gamers to use an online pass they would make a good bit of that back, to keep fans happy(hopefully) and create less aggravation of host migration
---
psn::heartherevenge
GT: heretherevenge