"COD takes no skill" said by (randomFPS) fanboy

#31DarxidePosted 4/5/2013 12:07:45 PM
r3flexx posted...
Darxide posted...
Hitscan
Heavy aim assist
Perks
Autonomous Killstreaks

All elements that make CoD a very, very, casual game, and lessens the amount of "skill" involved in being a decent player. It makes the game more accessible.

People would be scared away in droves if CoD wasn't easy to play.

Not saying that's a bad thing, it is what it is.

Heavy aim assist. I assume that means you think there is 0 gunskill and I wouldn't dominate you if we had a 1v1?

If you create a one on one, no perks and attachments, and both players have the same weapon, the player with more gun skill would probably win. Heavy aim assist though, gives a player with crap aim a chance. When you run across his line of fire, aim assist will guide his crosshairs to you. He literally doesn't even have to move the sticks. Who do you think that benefits more, a casual player, or a hardcore player?

Perks add variety and are not gamebreaking.

I agree, and I love the perks mechanic, but they can even the playing field. Perks are there to make up for flaws in your skills. Simply put. Navigating the map covertly takes a lot more skill without ghost than with it.

Killstreaks just add more elements to a game. They are rarely gamebreaking and are earned.

True, but what takes more skill? Getting 30 gunkills in a game, or getting 15 gun kills and 20 kills from kill streaks? Killstreaks are one of the most fun things about the CoD series, but they can skew one's KDR very heavily.

The things I listed, casuals will benefit from them far more than more dedicated players. Mainly because they add many factors that skew someone's skill at shooters.

Honestly, how good would you be if turned off aim assist, and rolled no perks or attachments all the time? Would CoD be as popular to casual gamers if these elements didn't exist? Probably not.
#32Eternal_WarlordPosted 4/5/2013 12:18:31 PM
If cod takes no skill to play, then nobody is better than anybody else.
But some people are better than others and some even better than them.
Therefore it stands to reason that COD must take at least SOME skill.

Making the argument invalid and most likely the result of butthurtedness.

This has already been said and maybe even in this topic but in fewer or more and different words.
---
Got back from Oregon 07/05/2010. Wasn't gonna leave but then I saw this: http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9075/sam1064.jpg
psn: EternalGST
#33QualiTPosted 4/5/2013 12:20:41 PM
of course it takes skill, its not like they give you tons of aim assist to make bad players shoot straight

oh wait.....
---
All Things Require Sacrifice.
http://i.imgur.com/FjisB.gif
#34lderivedxPosted 4/5/2013 12:34:56 PM
When someone says "CoD takes no skill," they mean "CoD takes relatively little skill."
---
"you got hit by a car? lmao nice awareness, no wonder you suck at halo." - sloppy
GT: i derive dx
#35r3flexxPosted 4/5/2013 2:58:00 PM
Darxide posted...
r3flexx posted...
Darxide posted...
Hitscan
Heavy aim assist
Perks
Autonomous Killstreaks

All elements that make CoD a very, very, casual game, and lessens the amount of "skill" involved in being a decent player. It makes the game more accessible.

People would be scared away in droves if CoD wasn't easy to play.

Not saying that's a bad thing, it is what it is.

If you create a one on one, no perks and attachments, and both players have the same weapon, the player with more gun skill would probably win. Heavy aim assist though, gives a player with crap aim a chance. When you run across his line of fire, aim assist will guide his crosshairs to you. He literally doesn't even have to move the sticks. Who do you think that benefits more, a casual player, or a hardcore player?

I agree, and I love the perks mechanic, but they can even the playing field. Perks are there to make up for flaws in your skills. Simply put. Navigating the map covertly takes a lot more skill without ghost than with it.

True, but what takes more skill? Getting 30 gunkills in a game, or getting 15 gun kills and 20 kills from kill streaks? Killstreaks are one of the most fun things about the CoD series, but they can skew one's KDR very heavily.

The things I listed, casuals will benefit from them far more than more dedicated players. Mainly because they add many factors that skew someone's skill at shooters.

Honestly, how good would you be if turned off aim assist, and rolled no perks or attachments all the time? Would CoD be as popular to casual gamers if these elements didn't exist? Probably not.

First 5 games of cod champs. The favorites to win in each game DOMINATED. 250-5, 250-40, 250-44, 250-64, 250-1xx. I don't think perks evened out those games. They had far more skill and my point has already been proven. It is axiomatic. Skill will always prevail. The only place where perks could even out is in pubs where even pubstars are nothing compared to competitive gamers.
---
PSN: ddflex add xFinland for Dark Souls
GT: c4nvas
#36r3flexxPosted 4/5/2013 3:00:08 PM
r3flexx posted...
The best way to put it is the learning curve for call of duty public matches is far smaller than that of most other shooters because it was designed specifically for casual gamers. However once you play competitive, the required skill is just as much as any other competitive shooter. If you deny this and you have no competitive CoD experience, you are an ignorant random. That's a fact.

It's like me saying "I HATE OBAMA HE SUX" even though I know nothing about politics. It's pure ignorance.

Just gonna quote myself.
---
#37DarxidePosted 4/5/2013 3:58:01 PM
r3flexx posted...

First 5 games of cod champs. The favorites to win in each game DOMINATED. 250-5, 250-40, 250-44, 250-64, 250-1xx. I don't think perks evened out those games.

Then why use them at all?
#38r3flexxPosted 4/5/2013 8:49:14 PM
Darxide posted...
r3flexx posted...

First 5 games of cod champs. The favorites to win in each game DOMINATED. 250-5, 250-40, 250-44, 250-64, 250-1xx. I don't think perks evened out those games.

Then why use them at all?

Depth
---
#39bigbug1992Posted 4/5/2013 11:40:15 PM
WhooKilledKenny posted...
People who say Cod takes no skill are probably terrible at the game themselves lets be honest. While some things like target finders, explosives, etc take no skill to use, a skill gap does exist. If no gap existed, everyone's kd would be 1. Nobody who plays casually could possibly even compete with a professional team. Why? Map knowledge, gun skill, team work. The Skill GAP. Just like some random basketball player in New York parks who dominates couldn't possibly compete with Lebron or Kobe.

Legit Prestige master.

300+ SPM.

.75 w/l record.

1.85 k/d and climbing.

Haven't gone negative in my last 50 games.

Compared to Halo 4, Gears of War (any of them), and Battlefield 3?

No skill whatsoever.

Here is how to play CoD in a nutshell: Turn, hold RT, random dice roll determines if you kill or are killed.

Now compare that to tactics that must be learned in the other games:

Halo requires expert knowledge of both the map and weapon locations. FIghting for map control is much harder than hiding in a corner waiting for your killstreak to do your work for you. Learning to pace your shots properly, and strafing actually helps you compared to trying to avoid bullets in CoD, which is again: A random dice roll.

Gears of War: A lot applies to Gears what I already said about Halo. Learning about how every weapon works and how its advantages and disadvantages work is very important, compared to CoD, where every gun is almost a copy paste of the one before it.

Battlefield. Obviously the most team oriented game of the bunch, you very rarely see someone carrying a team in the listed games, especially so in Battlefield. Learning how to properly burst fire at range and properly accounting for bullet drop is something that both veterans of the series and beginners alike have to practice for weeks to learn how to adjust for ranges on the fly. Working with your squad is essential and will determine whether or not you win or lose.

In conclusion: Call of Duty, when compared to all other popular shooter games, takes a considerably less amount of skill.

TL;DR
Call of Duty takes less skill than other shooters.
---
The Self-Proclaimed Master Bard of the Xbox Black Ops 2 Boards. Pope of the Church of MK 48
#40SUUPER_INJUN69Posted 4/6/2013 2:09:58 AM
r3flexx posted...
r3flexx posted...
The best way to put it is the learning curve for call of duty public matches is far smaller than that of most other shooters because it was designed specifically for casual gamers. However once you play competitive, the required skill is just as much as any other competitive shooter. If you deny this and you have no competitive CoD experience, you are an ignorant random. That's a fact.

It's like me saying "I HATE OBAMA HE SUX" even though I know nothing about politics. It's pure ignorance.

Just gonna quote myself.

Competitive cod is nothing compared to something like quake....