What type of maps to you like? Traits list inside.

#1Soul_On_DisplayPosted 4/8/2013 9:26:05 AM
I'm going to be listing major map design characteristics. You guys choose which ones you like to demonstrate your overall preference in gameplay. Just list whatever traits you like as you go down the list. My perfect map would be A, F, H, I, maybe K, M. I prefer a slow pace with large maps and plenty of flank routes and cover, and almost no power positions.

Traits:
A) Flank route abundant
B) Linear (very few flank routes)
C) Small
D) Micro (Shipment, Nuketown, etc)
E) Abundant lines of sight (almost no cover or object cluttering)
F) Abundant cover (opposite to E, good for flanking)
G) Mid-sized (WaW, MW3 sized maps)
H) Large (Most MW2 and CoD4 maps)
I) Fewer power positions (Lacking of camping rooms, high-conflict areas, etc)
J) Plenty of power positions (BO2, CoD4)
K) Vertical scale (some MW3 DLC maps, they were very "up and down")
L) Linear map shape/layout (Most BO2 maps, not counting overflow)
M) Non-linear map shape (Overflow, Yemen, basically anything that's not a straight line)

CoD4 maps = A, E, H, J, L ~ overall slower pace
WaW maps = A, E, F, G/H, I, M ~ slower pace
MW2 maps = A, E/F, H, I/J, L ~ slower pace
BO1 maps = A, E, G, I, L ~ moderate pace
MW3 maps = B, F, G, J, K (some, not all), M ~ fast pace
BO2 maps = A, C, F, J, L ~ very fast pace, fastest out of all

NOTE: I might have missed some traits. Just post a comment and I'll make an edit. Also, my memory of the older games isn't 100% reliable, so I might have some mistakes in there.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#2sylar860Posted 4/8/2013 9:44:52 AM
A, E, H, I, and L. I'm going with L over M because non linear shaped maps tend to be more unbalanced for some objective game types. Now I kind of want Treyarch to see this and take the 4 most common answers a make a dlc with it. I'm spitballing here but another trait I guess could be map design. Like realistic warzone versus visually bright or out of place looking map. I really liked Carnival because it seemed so out of place that it stood out to me, while maps like Bakaara, Invasion, and Karachi just seem so bland and recycled. I don't know how else to explain it but you should get the gist of it. Some maps are more memorable simply because of their color palette or their location.
---
"I'm separated...yes...I moved in with you guys for a month I was upset, remember...aw come on guys you talked me down off the roof."
#3LerthyrPosted 4/8/2013 9:50:09 AM
Every CoD Map has 3 lanes (at least from what I have noticed). You have a left lane, middle lane, and a right lane. Each lane can and may have multiple pathways connected to it whether it is a hallway, an underpass, or a ledge to climb up, etc. That is what the formula is generally for all CoD maps. However, some maps like Slums have the 3 lanes and have few to virtually no flanking routes.
---
RIP Sacred_Asylum 4/1/13
Watching you play SnD is like watching Mozart paint a picture. It's absolutely beautiful. -supercoolisaac
#4patkelly929Posted 4/8/2013 10:04:32 AM
It's easier to describe based on maps that I don't like:

Example: Any map that isn't like Mirage.
---
"Gary was here. Ash is a loser!" = Greatest Tramp Stamp Ever
#5Soul_On_Display(Topic Creator)Posted 4/8/2013 11:27:48 AM
Lerthyr posted...
Every CoD Map has 3 lanes (at least from what I have noticed). You have a left lane, middle lane, and a right lane. Each lane can and may have multiple pathways connected to it whether it is a hallway, an underpass, or a ledge to climb up, etc. That is what the formula is generally for all CoD maps. However, some maps like Slums have the 3 lanes and have few to virtually no flanking routes.

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd say WaW strayed from that formula the most. There are also a couple other exceptions to that, of which aren't just micro maps.
---
Xbox Live: Eighth Element || PSN: Echo_Resonance || 3DS FC: 4012-3485-5071
~TL;DR? Don't care.~ || ~ World's #1 Camper Hater ~
#6cbc72Posted 4/8/2013 12:14:16 PM(edited)
A
H
J
K
M

MW3 and BO2 create way too much of people just jumping out in front of you or behind you yelling "surprise."

There should be a reward for playing a map smart and holding stronghold positions like CoD4 to MW2 maps did.

I remember the good old days when I would get the "no deaths from behind" accolade pretty much every match.

---
Beast Mode!
http://tinyurl.com/cvpwash
#7SevenDayCandlePosted 4/8/2013 12:13:11 PM
Soul_On_Display posted...
Lerthyr posted...

Yeah, that's a good point. I'd say WaW strayed from that formula the most. There are also a couple other exceptions to that, of which aren't just micro maps.

Plus, in this game, all the Domination flags are set up linear. MW3 had the same general layout of maps, but the flags weren't linear. You had trouble getting B? Go take A/C. Not here. It's a fight for B then a camp to lock it down.
---
GG TREYARCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfj-JvI0XI
#8BipBapBamPosted 4/8/2013 12:14:09 PM
whatever BO1 maps had
---
Victory is my destiny.
GT: Noitrez
#9NidtendofreakPosted 4/8/2013 4:22:03 PM
A, something between E and F with one D map for a change of pace/private matches, G and H, J, K/L/M all mixed together in different amounts.

Basically: MW2.
---
And so begins a tale of vengeance and betrayal. Destiny by sinner sought. Tragedy by power wrought. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume.
#10bbert901Posted 4/8/2013 4:30:14 PM(edited)
A
H
J
K
M

MW3 and BO2 create way too much of people just jumping out in front of you or behind you yelling "surprise."

There should be a reward for playing a map smart and holding stronghold positions like CoD4 to MW2 maps did.

I remember the good old days when I would get the "no deaths from behind" accolade pretty much every match.

100% agree with every word, there is no tactical play in blops 2, its just running toward the dot on the radar and then the spawns flip with the slightest push, and there are zero power positions. in mw2, you actually have to work and use your brain to break a spawn trap, or hold or take over a power position, or flank the enemy. And the maps are just simply bigger with way more creative design, honestly i got burnt out so fast on the blops 2 maps, and after 33 days of mw2 i am still loving those maps