Call of Duty is the McRib

#1InadvertantPosted 4/28/2013 8:36:23 PM
The game you buy each year is in fact a McRib. You remember it fondly when it first came out and the first time you had it. It was unexpected, it was wonderful, it was new. Then, it went away, and it left your thoughts; but you know that it will return once a year, and when it does you hungrily go out and buy it. You sit down with it, you look at it, and you smile. It looks the same, but maybe with a new box. It smells the same, and you hope it will taste the same. Then you bite into it, and you aren't disappointed by it. You go what you expected, however, the feeling of joy doesn't last very long as you chew and process it. You come to realize that you are tasting something that is the same, yet somehow worse. Your memories don't fit what you now have in front of you. Confused, you realize that it isn't better, it isn't worse. It's just the same. The exact same thing that you had before, but it doesn't fit. Sure you got what you expected, but it doesn't quite live up to the fondness, nor does it last as long. Deciding that it isn't at all worth it, you know that next year, at around the same time, you are going to buy both Call of Duty and a McRib and once more get exactly the same thing that is somehow worse as time goes on.
---
RIP Christopher Scott "Chris" Kyle (April 8, 1974 February 2, 2013), Deadliest Man In American History, 160 confirmed kills
May Paradise welcome you
#2supercoolisaacPosted 4/28/2013 8:37:15 PM
the McRib tastes terrible.
---
"Persistence until excellence."
http://www.youtube.com/user/supercoolisaac
#3bigbug1992Posted 4/28/2013 8:37:50 PM
supercoolisaac posted...

---
The Self-Proclaimed Master Bard of the Xbox Black Ops 2 Boards. Pope of the Church of MK 48
#4White_Knight_01Posted 4/28/2013 8:38:01 PM
what's a McRib?
---
XBL - White Knight 01 ---- STEAM - white_knight_64
1000+ karma at last XD
#5CS2_SasukePosted 4/28/2013 8:39:03 PM
supercoolisaac posted...

I thought you were one of the good guys.

I'm putting you on the naughty list.
---
Bronyism is the new Christianity. Bronies unite!
/) Bro-hoof if you agree --- Count:7
#6AndaristPosted 4/28/2013 8:40:50 PM
Wow...that was so depressing..yet so true.

Thank you sir.
---
a Perfect Rake
tier 1: andarist | tier 3: mephy, trav | tier 5: bale. - Vizeroth
#7Inadvertant(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 8:46:57 PM(edited)
I'm sorry to have been so specific with McRib, but you can replace that with any annual fast food item that doesn't live up to what you expected. To me, it's the McRib. Which when it came out, it was wonderful. It was amazing. Then things changed, and it tastes horrid now. Just like Call of Duty, when it came out it was wonderful, amazing, a leap forward in military FPS games. Now, it's just the same rehashed crap every year without any compelling or dynamic story elements. I'm not saying the series is crap, but rather that ever since the start of the series, no new bars have raised other than: Call of Duty, Call of Duty 2 and Call of Duty 4.

Call of Duty: Redefined shooters in that it added a sense of authenticity not seen, the graphics were amazing, the scripted AI scenes made you a part of it. They were the first games to have iron sights that you aim down, and different firing modes like semi and full auto.

Call of Duty 2: Upped the ante by improving graphics, AI, level design and creating a multiplayer experience unlike any other.

Call of Duty 4: Insane authenticity in the campaign, truly engaging multiplayer with create a class, more weapons, extremely improved graphics, killstreaks were first seen. This is also the last time any Call of Duty set the bar any higher. Every other Call of Duty game has barely met that bar.

EDIT
Andarist posted...
Wow...that was so depressing..yet so true.

Thank you sir.

You are welcome my friend.

To be clear, I am still going to buy both Call of Duty and the McRib every year until I or the franchises they come from die.
---
RIP Christopher Scott "Chris" Kyle (April 8, 1974 February 2, 2013), Deadliest Man In American History, 160 confirmed kills
May Paradise welcome you
#8Silver17Posted 4/28/2013 10:44:36 PM
supercoolisaac posted...

---
"Pretty Women Make Us Buy Beer. Ugly Women Make Us DRINK BEER!" - Al Bundy
(12/14/2010 = All time Worst Patch in the History of Gaming!)
#9Inadvertant(Topic Creator)Posted 4/28/2013 10:58:32 PM
Silver17 posted...
supercoolisaac posted...

That's exactly my point. When the McRib came out, it didn't taste terrible. It was wonderful. Same as with Call of Duty, and Call of Duty now seems to taste terrible. Do I still enjoy them? Yes, however they fail to live up to the name of Call of Duty and the quality that went into each title. This became most apparent with Modern Warfare 3, which was absolute trash. Black Ops 2 tried to change and innovate, and I enjoy those changes, however the technical side alone is not up to par. The graphics engine is grossly out of date, only now including features that were standard in other games two, three and even four years ago. It is a laughable excuse for a full release game and in my eyes, every Call of Duty since Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare has been nothing more than an overpriced yet still entertaining spin off. There has yet to be a game to be called a sequel in that we have had no Call of Duty 5 and I doubt we ever will. I mean that both in name and in content, as the content is fitting only of a spin off and not what I would consider to be the bar raising standard of a full Call of Duty release.

Example
Call of Duty raised the standard of the military FPS
Call of Duty 2 raised the bar on graphics and multiplayer
Call of Duty 3 raised the bar on graphics and campaign
Call of Duty 4 raised the bar on graphics, frame rate, multiplayer, authenticity and storyline.

No Call of Duty game since has raised any bar, but only met them and stopped there.
---
May Paradise welcome you
#10supercoolisaacPosted 4/28/2013 11:05:31 PM
The McRib was always terrible
---
"Persistence until excellence."
http://www.youtube.com/user/supercoolisaac