My thoughts on Dexterity and why I think it is a bad idea for a perk

#1fatclemenzaPosted 4/29/2013 11:45:45 AM
This is going to be a summary of my thoughts on the perk Dexterity. Its not going to be all positive, so if you're just going to say "stop complaining", then don't waste your time. Looking for a discussion here. tl;dr at the bottom.

We've all had it happen. Know a guy is coming around the corner, sometimes even on VSAT, prepare, pre-aim, start shooting, and all of a sudden, you drop dead. What? The killcam shows him sprinting along aimlessly, around a corner where you're waiting for him (which nobody sane should ever do, especially if there's the chance of an enemy being present), and open up a volley in your direction for a quick kill. How could that happen when you did everything right to prepare for the engagement? You look at his perks. Dexterity.

Now, the sprint-to-fire bonus that Dexterity provides is not new to the series. It began with Lightweight Pro in MW2, and returned as Steady Aim Pro in BO1. I don't know if it had a MW3 equivalent. So why, if it has existed for years, is this such an issue for me now? Because there was perk competition in those games. Lightweight in MW2 was arguably the worst red perk (inb4hurrorange). It had to contend with Stopping Power and Cold Blooded, as well as Danger Close and Hardline to a lesser extent. Likewise in BO1, Steady Aim was competing with Sleight of Hand Pro (which was by far the best choice) and the flinch-reducing Hardened Pro. On top of all this, the sprint-to-fire bonus was a pro perk effect. Between Prestiging and the requirements for unlocking the pro-variant of these perks, as well as the competition in the perk tier, they were not that common to see.

Compare this to Dexterity, which does not require a pro perk, and is unlocked at level 4. In addition, the competition in the Dexterity tier is incredibly weak. Literally half of the perks, DS, Awareness and ExCon, are incredibly situational (or completely ineffective depending on who you ask). Combine this with the fact that using both TacMask and Engineer at once is redundant, and you have absolutely no reason not to use Dexterity on an aggressive class.

When sprinting was first introduced to the series in CoD4 (or was it sooner?) it was implemented into the game with the idea that you could move faster at the cost of being at a disadvantage should you come across an enemy, by being unable to immediately return fire. All guns at that point, and up through BO1 (maybe MW3, didn't get too too deep into that game since I didn't own it) had at least a 300 millisecond delay from sprint-to-fire; a noticeable penalty. Dexterity brings this down to 100 milliseconds, effectively removing the only penalty to sprinting. The developers likely did this to make the game faster-paced and to fight the evil that is "camping", but all they did was make it easier for players to play like complete idiots and get away with it.

Also to consider is all of the connection discrepancies with this game. Granted, I've heard so many iterations of "which player is at an advantage in what situation" that I can't even remember which one is true, but it definitely feels like whoever comes around the corner in an engagement (in this case, Mr. Gung-ho Lightweight/Dexterity SMG 1 K/D "rusher") has an advantage, and Dexterity multiplies the hell out of that advantage.

tl;dr - Dexterity shatters the metagame, promotes reckless play, and makes BO2's wonky connectivity that much more of an issue. discuss pls I welcome opinions
---
His days of asking are all gone, his fight goes on, and on, and on
But he thinks that the fight is worth it all, so he strikes like Thunderball
#2CS2_SasukePosted 4/29/2013 11:48:30 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#3Id_Bang_Miss_KPosted 4/29/2013 11:52:36 AM
I thought it was supposed to be a summary…
---
http://www.youtube.com/TheOfficialNaian
^Go here for awesome YuGiOh videos and free original music^
#4BipBapBamPosted 4/29/2013 11:53:22 AM
ty for the tl;dr version, i agree with this
---
Victory is my destiny.
GT: Noitrez
#5parkourboybryanPosted 4/29/2013 12:00:01 PM
It was in MW3 as Steady Aim Pro as well.

I personally don't think it was bad in any of the other games at all. I used Lightweight and Steady Aim extensively in MW2 and BLOPS, along with MW3, because most of my classes are based on rushing.

Sure the perk allows you to be a little bit more aggressive with AR's and LMG's, but it's hardly the defining factor in building an aggressive class. TBH, I always pre-aim when turning corners unless using a Laser Sight, so the only true benefit I gain from Dexterity is the faster mantling and climbing speed. The faster firing after sprint is almost entirely superfluous.

Compared to the other perks, I don't think it's OP in the slightest, in fact it's perfectly balanced. DS and Awareness are great in objective modes, especially S&D and Headquarters, Tactical Mask is great due to the abundance of Shock Charges and Concussions, and Engineer is amazing when paired in tandem with EMP Grenades, as you can essentially dismantle their defenses and set them up to be killed. It's also good for people who are less cautious, as although BB's are easily avoided, I'm starting to see a large rise in the amount of Claymores. In all actuality, the only perk I think Dexterity eclipses is Ex. Con, one that IMO needs to be buffed to allow infinite sprint.

The fact that Dexterity allows a person to play slightly more aggressively or recklessly doesn't exacerbate the Connection issues, it's the poor matchmaking system that pairs people with terribad connections to someone halfway around the world. It was never a problem in any other game, and I don't think it's a problem in this one.
---
One of the proud people that still plays Mirror's Edge to this day.
Not changing my sig until DICE officially announces Mirror's Edge 2
#6fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 12:32:12 PM
The fact that Dexterity allows a person to play slightly more aggressively or recklessly doesn't exacerbate the Connection issues, it's the poor matchmaking system that pairs people with terribad connections to someone halfway around the world. It was never a problem in any other game, and I don't think it's a problem in this one.

Well they're obviously never going to get better networking than this, so why not refrain from making readily available things that mess up engagements? Remember Commando? Terrible idea, and people knifing the air ten yards away was because of lag made it an even dumber idea.

I never said it was a problem in the other games, in fact it was a fair idea since it had tradeoffs of not using the superior perks.
---
#7JonnywestsidePosted 4/29/2013 12:46:51 PM
The thing is though, a lot of the popular gamemodes are catered to a run'n'gun playstyle. Wanna grab tags? Protect B flag before it's taken? Get to the hardpoint? Sprinting is the quickest option.

When a dude I'm pre-aiming sprints rounds the corner and drops me I'm blaming connection not perk selection. I see where you're coming from with Dexterity exemplifying connection issues but I use Ex Con on all of my AR classes and have no issue dropping guys off the sprint when my connections good.

You've got to think of it like this, do people use Dexterity because they sprint around recklessly or do they sprint around recklessly because they use Dexterity? I think what the developers have tried to do is balance both aggressive and defensive play as equally effective playstyles which is why we have perks like Dexterity but headglitch/cover spots on every corner.

This isn't to say I disagree with you but if we were to discuss a gamebreaking perk it should be Toughness since it essentially makes it a Pick 9 system.
---
"U MAD?", "Get good" & "Use x perk" are legitimate responses to everything.
#8AlexanaxelaPosted 4/29/2013 12:57:26 PM(edited)
it's awesome for me as a shotgunner, i can run around like an idiot and still stand a chance against people that just want to camp in random spots and wait for people to run by. Used the same equivalent on all my shotgun classes in black ops, mw3, and occasionally mw2
---
There's no way I can pay you back, but my plan is to show you that i understand.
You are appreciated.
#9LerthyrPosted 4/29/2013 1:02:34 PM(edited)
Good stuff, clem.

Since Dexterity doesn't really have anything to compete with in the 2nd tier of perks I can see why many flock to it. I for one, use Tac Mask on a regular basis because it allows me to be more aggressive than if I were to use Dexterity. As you may already know, I mainly play SnD and having Tac Mask alleviates any and all potential pre stuns at the start of the round. Now, you might be wondering, "Well, why don't you use Tac Mask and Dexterity concurrently, Lerth?" To answer that question, I use Perk 1 Greed (Flak Jacket + Lightweight). It suits my playstyle more so than if I were to drop Tac Mask for Dex or drop Lightweight and go with Perk 3 Greed.

It all boils down to personal preference in the end. I would like to think that most people set up their perk builds to accommodate their playstyle, but man.. I have seen some god awful perk builds. Perk 3 Greed with Tac Mask + Engineer comes to mind right away (obviously this is just my opinion).
---
RIP Sacred_Asylum 4/1/13
Watching you play SnD is like watching Mozart paint a picture. It's absolutely beautiful. -supercoolisaac
#10fatclemenza(Topic Creator)Posted 4/29/2013 1:24:46 PM
The thing is though, a lot of the popular gamemodes are catered to a run'n'gun playstyle. Wanna grab tags? Protect B flag before it's taken? Get to the hardpoint? Sprinting is the quickest option.

True, but we've gotten along fine without the need for it over the past years.

When a dude I'm pre-aiming sprints rounds the corner and drops me I'm blaming connection not perk selection. I see where you're coming from with Dexterity exemplifying connection issues but I use Ex Con on all of my AR classes and have no issue dropping guys off the sprint when my connections good.

You've got to think of it like this, do people use Dexterity because they sprint around recklessly or do they sprint around recklessly because they use Dexterity? I think what the developers have tried to do is balance both aggressive and defensive play as equally effective playstyles which is why we have perks like Dexterity but headglitch/cover spots on every corner.

I see where you're coming from here. I'd be lying if I said I didn't use Dex on all of my SMG and Shotgun classes for that very reason. As far as the connections go, it almost seems like the "what comes first, the chicken or the egg" scenario; does Dex make the connections a bigger problem, or do the connections make Dex a bigger problem?

And Toughness has been argued to death and I think we all know how bad playing Pick 9 is. Pick 7 for me since I almost always have Scavenger ;_;

Also thanks Lerth. If you want to see dumb perk loadouts, stop by TDM for 5 minutes. You'll see people using only Blind Eye, or only LW and ExCon despite staring into a Target Finder without moving, it makes me laugh. Though every time I see someone with Lightweight, Toughness and Dexterity, it rustles my jimmies to know end.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/669289-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii/64704028
---