Why is the shield so useless?

#11TJ_UNLIMITEDPosted 5/6/2013 5:25:45 PM
LuIzalot posted...
Fast Hands, Any Pistol, Concussions, Scavenger, Flak Jacket, Tac Mask, C4 or Combat Axe.

Switch to your pistol when they let their guard down or try to reload.

Shielding isn't really something that can be taught. It just takes a lot of trial and error until you get a knack for it.

Even with fast hands you can get screwed. Videos on YouTube show that Treyarch ****ed something else up yet again. If you put the shield back in front of you with fast hands, the game treats it as if you did it at regular speed, regardless of what you see on your screen.

Plus there's the shield turning into paper whenever it wants, the lag, the fact that a Semtex stick kills you even with flack jacket on, and the fact that any explosive that sticks to your shield automatically detonates if you move the shield by pressing the weapon switch button or throwing a lethal/tactical.
---
PSN- TJ_UNLIMITED
Gamertag- TJ UNLIMIT3D
#12LuIzalotPosted 5/6/2013 5:49:27 PM(edited)
I can't say I experience paper shields very often, if at all. Knowing how lag comp works is vital in this game when using a shield, but once you do and know how to work it into your favor, you won't be dying to circle strafers nearly as often.

As for the fast hands issue, that shouldn't bean issue if you're engaging only 1 person at a time. And if you're being shot at by multiple enemies, doing anything but tanking would get you killed anyways.

Lag is an issue, but lag isn't exclusive toRiot Shields. Every weapon performs poorly in a laggy environment.

The shield isn't perfect, you're right about that. Shield Bashing is almost useless, and semtex being an instant kill can be problematic, but again, If you see someone pulling out a semtex, you gun them down before they do so.
---
Sully mah waifu
#13catzrul2002(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2013 5:58:56 PM
LuIzalot posted...
Fast Hands, Any Pistol, Concussions, Scavenger, Flak Jacket, Tac Mask, C4 or Combat Axe.

Shielding isn't really something that can be taught. It just takes a lot of trial and error until you get a knack for it.

The issue I'm trying to get kills with it, for the camos. Sure it's easier in hardcore but still I feel the thing is not bulletproof.

I have the current set up;

Weapon: Assault Shield
Lethal: Combat Axe
Tact: Black Hat
Perk 1: Lightweight\Blind Eye
Perk 2: Coldblooded
Perk 3: Extreme Con.\Engineer
Wildcards: Perk 1 Greed\Perk 3 Greed

I hate explosives since C4, betties and claymores are overused so I always have a black hat or two. Blind eye and coldblooded helping me avoid killstreaks and TFs, the rest for speed.

I'm normally pretty good at this game, never had an issue with the shield on MW2 or 3, but this time it just sucks.
#14SevenDayCandlePosted 5/6/2013 6:11:47 PM
The fast hands glitch
The fact you can get shot through it
The fact you can get knifed through it
The fact the 'bash' animation usually misses an enemy
The fact the 'bash' takes so long in between shots
The fact you can't move anywhere near quick with it
The fact the game has built in lag.

In MW3, I used the shield CONSTANTLY and would get around 10+ shield kills in Domination per match no problem at all. Could even pick up doubles with it.

Here though? It's pretty much a joke. Only way it's anywhere near useful is when you hope it blocks bullets so you can switch to your pistol to kill them when they reload.

But, add in the fact that the reload animations shown on the screen aren't in 'real time' and the guy could've already reloaded, it's a trash weapon.
---
GG TREYARCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfj-JvI0XI
#15SevenDayCandlePosted 5/6/2013 6:14:45 PM
Black Ops 2 Shield stats: KD 0.09, Total kills, 265

MW3 Shield Stats: KD 0.22, Total kills, 1099.

A lot of the time in MW3, I would just use the shield to push back a group of 2-3 that are coming towards a flag and charge them head on.

In BO2, I feel challenging a single person is going to be a tough ass time.
---
GG TREYARCH! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPfj-JvI0XI
#16LuIzalotPosted 5/6/2013 6:17:13 PM
catzrul2002 posted...
LuIzalot posted...

The issue I'm trying to get kills with it, for the camos. Sure it's easier in hardcore but still I feel the thing is not bulletproof.

I have the current set up;

Weapon: Assault Shield
Lethal: Combat Axe
Tact: Black Hat
Perk 1: Lightweight\Blind Eye
Perk 2: Coldblooded
Perk 3: Extreme Con.\Engineer
Wildcards: Perk 1 Greed\Perk 3 Greed

I hate explosives since C4, betties and claymores are overused so I always have a black hat or two. Blind eye and coldblooded helping me avoid killstreaks and TFs, the rest for speed.

I'm normally pretty good at this game, never had an issue with the shield on MW2 or 3, but this time it just sucks.

Oh, you're going for camos? Ok yeah, I understand your frustration.

If you want shield bash kills then the best thing for you to do is equp concussion grenades and carefully walk up to the stunned player and bash them.

Shield
Any Pistol
Flak Jacket
Scavenger/Fast Hands
TAC MASK
Combat Axe
Concussions x 2

is my cookie cutter class. I sometimes make slight modifications if I'm bored. But if you want easy bash kills, you definetly want to use concussions paired up with Tac Mask, It's by far the easiest way to get them.

But yeah, I'd personally recommend never bashing under any circumstance. It's extremely unreliable in this game compared to MW2 and even MW3. But its the only way to get those camos.

Don't give up.
---
Sully mah waifu
#17LuIzalotPosted 5/6/2013 6:20:17 PM
SevenDayCandle posted...
Black Ops 2 Shield stats: KD 0.09, Total kills, 265

MW3 Shield Stats: KD 0.22, Total kills, 1099.

A lot of the time in MW3, I would just use the shield to push back a group of 2-3 that are coming towards a flag and charge them head on.

In BO2, I feel challenging a single person is going to be a tough ass time.

I use the Shield as a tool more then a weapon. My Shield k/d is really low, but thats because almost all of my kills come from Axes and Pistols. Shield Bashes are crap, no argument there
---
Sully mah waifu
#18LordAPXPosted 5/6/2013 6:21:23 PM
I <3 my shield. But yes, sometimes it has random stupid times of getting me killed when the killcam shows them shooting right in the center of the shield. o.O
---
Gamefaqs only Eurobeat lover, currently listening to Super Eurobeat Vol. 219 Non-Stop mix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTpudussCQo
#19awsomeedgar77Posted 5/6/2013 7:13:05 PM
MissElena posted...
Try crouching BEHIND the shield.

I lol'd
---
http://m.gamefaqs.com/boards/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/62287165
Bang.
#20Mitchach0Posted 5/6/2013 8:01:39 PM
Shielders feel lag way more than regular gun users. Riot Guy PSN made a couple of videos that explain this well. It means that you really need to lead your target. Aim it not at where they are, but where you think they will be. This is particularly important when they are up close and strafing you. If you want to see some examples of good shield defence, look up ShieldYourHome on YT.

As far as getting bash kills is concerned, concussions are obviously a must. Don't sprint at the enemy unless it's obvious that they aren't facing you. Then when you get close (as close as you can), make sure you release the left thumb stick before bashing. I got my shield gold a long long time ago but I still test myself from time to time by going just for bash kills. I guess I'm a bit of a masochist that way. Got 1429 kills with it.
---
Riot and Assault Shield Gameplays and Montages: http://www.youtube.com/mitchacho