Pro Gaming the New Major Sport?

#11TheManlyManateePosted 6/30/2013 12:27:44 PM
MMA is the new major sport. This won't ever officially get recognized as a sport. Pro gaming has been around for decades now. I don't see why its status will change any time soon.
---
Now Playing: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, CoD: BO2
#12EmveeZPosted 6/30/2013 12:39:38 PM
lax
---
Don't even bother.
#13HeartlessCharmsPosted 6/30/2013 12:48:36 PM
math
---
"I'd rather die than be average."
#14DebugVirusPosted 6/30/2013 12:50:43 PM
TheManlyManatee posted...
MMA is the new major sport. This won't ever officially get recognized as a sport. Pro gaming has been around for decades now. I don't see why its status will change any time soon.

Simple answer, marketability. Gaming is becoming more and more commonplace and the generation that has spurred the movement and advancement of pro gaming is getting older. They'll promote it more as time goes on.

Gaming will continue to grow as a result. Personally I hope that it becomes a Major sport, but they can't take it to television. It'll get ruined there.
---
The most knowledgeable non-player you'll ever meet. Need info? I probably got it.
Get@Me
#15zxrax_alt_1Posted 6/30/2013 12:59:31 PM
So we're saying 30 to 40 years until it reaches Lingerie Football League status?

Or full blown pro sport status?

Somewhere in between.

I can't see pro gamers ever getting paid as much as athletes. I doubt there will be drafts and tons of teams with owners and such. But I think we'll see team houses like OpTic is doing and like Koreans have been doing with Starcraft for years now. I'm sure it will be a televised event, not on ESPN obviously, but on a network similar to G4. Tournaments like the MLG events going on right now will be at least monthly occurrences, there will be plenty of televised scrims...

But, players are going to have to clean it up. A lot more of OpTic, a lot less of Impact's attitudes. They'll have to be much more consistently professional acting, because sponsors on a level large enough to help teams get big with gaming as a national level "sport" will absolutely never sponsor teams that get into the same kind of twitter beef that these guys get into. They won't sponsor teams like NexT ThreaT from Black Ops 1, with Mutation calling Stainville "a fat n* slob" on mainstage. That s*** won't fly.
---
http://twitch.tv/vraage | GT: v Raage
i7-3820 @4.875GHz | 2x HD7970 | 16GB 2000MHz | Rampage IV Formula | 250GB 840 SSD +2TB | Custom Watercooling | 1440p IPS
#16bbrradd31Posted 6/30/2013 1:03:20 PM
SkilzMC posted...
Velociswagger posted...
videogaming will be the new Olympic sport in 2020,

I can see it now

Hopefully Starcraft isn't in it because we'd lose to Koreans every freaking time

They have us beat at Ping-Pong, Nuclear arms races, and making sweet tablets! We lose.

It doesn't really matter, china will own us by 2020.

South Korea has no nukes

North Korea can only lob a crude nuke a few miles

And chinas high GDP is directly tied to America, without America china never would have had an economic growth. Also lending money between countries has been around since there were states.

While some watch MLG it is very boring overall and will never be huge. Watching teens stare at a screen is not the recipe for success.

Sorry but try not to be so wrong in future posts.
#17Sega9599Posted 6/30/2013 3:03:15 PM
zxrax_alt_1 posted...
So we're saying 30 to 40 years until it reaches Lingerie Football League status?

Or full blown pro sport status?

Somewhere in between.

I can't see pro gamers ever getting paid as much as athletes. I doubt there will be drafts and tons of teams with owners and such. But I think we'll see team houses like OpTic is doing and like Koreans have been doing with Starcraft for years now. I'm sure it will be a televised event, not on ESPN obviously, but on a network similar to G4. Tournaments like the MLG events going on right now will be at least monthly occurrences, there will be plenty of televised scrims...

But, players are going to have to clean it up. A lot more of OpTic, a lot less of Impact's attitudes. They'll have to be much more consistently professional acting, because sponsors on a level large enough to help teams get big with gaming as a national level "sport" will absolutely never sponsor teams that get into the same kind of twitter beef that these guys get into. They won't sponsor teams like NexT ThreaT from Black Ops 1, with Mutation calling Stainville "a fat n* slob" on mainstage. That s*** won't fly.

Don't even start with that sexist dude from SF4
---
Waiting for Mirrors Edge 2 and a new 'proper' Shining Force.
#18bbert901Posted 6/30/2013 7:52:07 PM
Lol no
---
http://i.imgur.com/OFUbs.jpg http://i.imgur.com/Gzd6P.jpg http://imgur.com/nQZSUxW.jpg
#19SkilzMC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 9:29:37 PM
bbrradd31 posted...
SkilzMC posted...
Velociswagger posted...
videogaming will be the new Olympic sport in 2020,

I can see it now

Hopefully Starcraft isn't in it because we'd lose to Koreans every freaking time

They have us beat at Ping-Pong, Nuclear arms races, and making sweet tablets! We lose.

It doesn't really matter, china will own us by 2020.

South Korea has no nukes

North Korea can only lob a crude nuke a few miles

And chinas high GDP is directly tied to America, without America china never would have had an economic growth. Also lending money between countries has been around since there were states.

While some watch MLG it is very boring overall and will never be huge. Watching teens stare at a screen is not the recipe for success.

Sorry but try not to be so wrong in future posts.

You realize I was not even TRYING to make a factual statement....

Learn2humor
---
"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC
#20SkilzMC(Topic Creator)Posted 7/6/2013 6:05:58 PM
So, this is a pretty interesting take on my question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWjTnukgSu8
---
"You know, I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask where they're going and hook up with 'em later." -Mitch Hedberg
- GT Skillz MC