CoD: A bad influence on gaming?

#31moridin7632Posted 10/21/2013 2:04:55 PM
Trash topic.

The question that should be asked is:

Are gamers a bad influence on gaming.

There is a reason why games are constantly taking things from CoD. Its because they can't sell "new" games as well. Game companies try to come out with something new and innovative and it gets panned or doesn't sell as well as the companies hope. Then it looks at what CoD does in terms of numbers and tries to emulate it.

This is the fault of the gamers and the companies themselves.

1. Game companies can make trash games. These games don't sell because they are trash, so company tries to make a CoD like game to get sales.

2. Game makes a good, different style, game. Game doesn't sell well because people want what they are used to. Company makes another game using stuff from CoD and it sells a lot better.

It comes down to gamers in general. As much as the minority scream "we want different", the majority is showing with their wallets "we want same". Companies will make what sells, that is the bottom line. Right now CoD-likes sell, as do MOBA-likes and GTA-likes. Soon another genre will take over and become the "new" thing.
---
"Be humble, for as you are better than everyone else, god is still above you" - fortune cookie, 2001
#32DemotivatingPosted 10/22/2013 9:06:34 PM
moridin7632 posted...
Companies will make what sells, that is the bottom line. Right now CoD-likes sell, as do MOBA-likes and GTA-likes.

Hmm, that must be why Gears Judgment and Halo 4 are incredibly popular.

Oh wait.
#33metalclashPosted 10/22/2013 9:34:41 PM
moridin7632 posted...
Trash topic.

There is a reason why games are constantly taking things from CoD. Its because they can't sell "new" games as well. Game companies try to come out with something new and innovative and it gets panned or doesn't sell as well as the companies hope. Then it looks at what CoD does in terms of numbers and tries to emulate it.

1. Game companies can make trash games. These games don't sell because they are trash, so company tries to make a CoD like game to get sales.

2. Game makes a good, different style, game. Game doesn't sell well because people want what they are used to. Company makes another game using stuff from CoD and it sells a lot better.

It comes down to gamers in general. As much as the minority scream "we want different", the majority is showing with their wallets "we want same". Companies will make what sells, that is the bottom line. Right now CoD-likes sell, as do MOBA-likes and GTA-likes. Soon another genre will take over and become the "new" thing.

I can't agree completely. I believe Halo 4 would have done infinitely better if it returned to the likes of Halo 3. BUT it went all CoD. People liked Halo for Halo, it was doing amazing, and then Reach took a bad turn, not due to gamers but because the company changed their succesful game to try to take people away from the CoD crowd. When 343 took over, they were complete idiots and removed most of the Halo feel left, and added more CoD elements.
---
Anyone else here from Jersey and goes airsofting?
#34BrostachePosted 10/23/2013 8:36:17 AM
Yes, COD effectively killed the skill based arena shooters that i used to love... since everyone wants to be like COD now.
#35BrostachePosted 10/23/2013 9:00:09 AM
metalclash posted...
moridin7632 posted...
Trash topic.

I can't agree completely. I believe Halo 4 would have done infinitely better if it returned to the likes of Halo 3. BUT it went all CoD. People liked Halo for Halo, it was doing amazing, and then Reach took a bad turn, not due to gamers but because the company changed their succesful game to try to take people away from the CoD crowd. When 343 took over, they were complete idiots and removed most of the Halo feel left, and added more CoD elements.

To be honest, i doubt it.

Most my friends cant stand halo after playing COD because they complain about how it takes too many bullets to kill someone. All i hear is "wtf i shot him first, he should be dead!", yea yur dead because he had better aim than you.

Between that and all the camping, the gaming masses dont wanna get rinsed in halo by skilled players when they can easily pop in COD and rack up some easy kills by hiding behind cover and spraying someone in the ankles as they run around a corner or just hiding some C4.

Simply put gamers are just lazy and want instant gratification, which COD delivers. Halo 3 was popular only because COD4 hadnt been released yet and there wasnt much in terms of good alternatives in the genre.

I think its impossible for any skill based arena shooter to succeed again at this point. As the masses, if tasked with practicing and improving to succeed, will simply just say "screw this, im going back to COD"
#36BlocktopusPosted 10/23/2013 9:07:13 AM
FeelMyBlade posted...
It actually is the other developer's fault for copying CoD and ruining their game.

Kinda this imo. Cod4 did so much right that other fps games didn't and a lot of the developers were too scared to stay original I guess. That's how it seems.

tbh I think cod4 was one of the best fps games ever made but iw/treyarch milked the series to death.
---
http://i.imgur.com/f09dfvV.jpg