Looking for overall impressions now that the game has been out

#1DarkReign128Posted 10/27/2013 7:07:19 AM
I loved Black Ops when it was out and although I'm not a serious enough fan to do things like get all the map packs and all, I got a few questions that I'm hoping someone with experience could fill me in on. I haven't played much COD since BO 1 and I used to play MW2 way back. Only touched MW3 for one brief sitting.

What's the lag compensation all about? I saw some youtube videos on it but don't fully understand how it works. Is it bad to be host? Is it in BO2? What's the deal with this?

They kept the fade out on icons and names when aiming down the sights right? Like point A in domination will disappear from your screen if you aim down the sights. I feel like it wasn't working when I played MW3. I could be wrong. Maybe it's an option?

Is it worth picking up the game if I play a lot of multiplayer or am I better off Just keeping BO1 in? Are there people who got fed up with the changes in BO2 and went to BO1 even? Are you more of a Treyarch guy or IW?

Hopefully you guys can fill me in. I've been out of COD for a long time.
---
Do you know the muffin man? O_O
#2LivingInPapayaPosted 10/27/2013 9:23:32 AM
Lag compensation is the adjusting of the game engine to make there seem like there's less lag than there actually is - and it usually works fine. In Black Ops 2, people say the lag is horrible but personally I've never noticed it.

And yes, when you aim down your sights the objective markers fade out - it's not an option, and it only fades out entirely when aiming right at it.

Black Ops 2, in my opinion, fixes more issues than it brings in. Personally it's my favorite CoD, albeit by a small margin.
#3f41lurizerPosted 10/27/2013 9:31:31 AM
Basically, my understanding is that lag compensation trys to eliminate the host disadvantage. It also seems to either take the average of all the connections and give it to everyone or something like that (just my impression).

There is some BS, like snipers, c4, hunter killer, lightning strike but in general I find the game pretty enjoyable. I would play it first somehow before commiting, especially with ghosts coming out in like 9 days.
---
My 1stnuclear http://youtu.be/PJzX2zWbWk0 gt: f41lurizer
Get a Q-Troller with custom trigger stops and hair triggers today! vid: http://youtu.be/kBsyFVFXxDg
#4WorstSniperEverPosted 10/27/2013 10:08:26 AM
f41lurizer posted...
Basically, my understanding is that lag compensation trys to eliminate the host disadvantage. It also seems to either take the average of all the connections and give it to everyone or something like that (just my impression).

There is some BS, like snipers, c4, hunter killer, lightning strike but in general I find the game pretty enjoyable. I would play it first somehow before commiting, especially with ghosts coming out in like 9 days.

Snipers aren't really BS, they're just annoying. C4 wouldn't work as well as it does if the maps were bigger than shoe-boxes. Hunter Killer isn't bad, he's pretty easy to avoid so long as you take cover.

But here's one for you... I remember reading somewhere that the Lightning Strike was actually intentionally designed to hit the field before the announcer said it. That is what I call BS - a lame attempt at trying to make a broken part of your game look deliberate.

Unless someone honestly thought it was a good idea to make such a low-cost, objective-devastating streak basically un-announced... all the while leaving poor Stealth Chopper with his tragic catchphrase of "Enemy Stealth Chopper inbound!".
---
Jesus, I can't make a CoD topic anymore without WorstSniperEver coming in and posting something everyone creams themselves about. - SkilzMC
#5f41lurizerPosted 10/27/2013 10:39:34 AM
WorstSniperEver posted...
f41lurizer posted...

Snipers aren't really BS, they're just annoying. C4 wouldn't work as well as it does if the maps were bigger than shoe-boxes. Hunter Killer isn't bad, he's pretty easy to avoid so long as you take cover.

But here's one for you... I remember reading somewhere that the Lightning Strike was actually intentionally designed to hit the field before the announcer said it. That is what I call BS - a lame attempt at trying to make a broken part of your game look deliberate.

Unless someone honestly thought it was a good idea to make such a low-cost, objective-devastating streak basically un-announced... all the while leaving poor Stealth Chopper with his tragic catchphrase of "Enemy Stealth Chopper inbound!".

Well that makes sense for the lightning strike. I have a strategy for lightning strike survival. I run will turn my back to any enemies if I am fighting them and just sprint the way I came. Sometimes, it doesn't kill me. Taking cover is a 50% chance of success. I have died to one of those f***ers UNDER THE BOAT in hijacked. how does that even happen?
---
My 1stnuclear http://youtu.be/PJzX2zWbWk0 gt: f41lurizer
Get a Q-Troller with custom trigger stops and hair triggers today! vid: http://youtu.be/kBsyFVFXxDg
#6D3x1Posted 10/27/2013 3:43:01 PM
Toy Story of the Year.
---
o_o
#7DarkReign128(Topic Creator)Posted 10/27/2013 4:10:37 PM
Thanks for the answers so far. Would you recommend this game for the multi if I already have BO1?
---
Do you know the muffin man? O_O
#8FeelMyBladePosted 10/27/2013 4:55:25 PM
Yes.

Black Ops 2 has been an amazing CoD this year. It definitely brings some improvements over the previous games, and I had a lot of fun playing it.

The connections early in this game's life was a bit inconsistent. But now it appears that we have dedicated servers (since I have not see any host migration), so Lag Comp shouldn't be something you need to worry about.

I would recommend it if you can get it cheap or off a friend. Not at full price though.
---
Best CoD4 player here. Currently Playing: Blops 2, GTAV Online.
Rarity is the best Pony. Brohoof anyone? ^-^ /) ? No. of Brohoofs-45
#9XxproknifaxXPosted 10/27/2013 5:19:45 PM
It's nothing special.
---
The day Sunderland win a game, Crystal Palace will come last-Nicholas Xeras
#10TheboywhodidPosted 10/27/2013 6:49:49 PM
XxproknifaxX posted...
It's nothing special.

Pretty much. Fun when you're winning; not so fun when you aren't. I'm assuming its fun if you play with a party, that way you aren't as prone to rage quit.