I'm still playing, and presumptively the people that post topics here still play the game, as well.
1. I like the individuality of each weapon, and the trade-offs each has with others in its own class
2. I like that the majority of the maps are fairly small, and promote fast-paced gameplay
3. I like the score-streak system that rewards objective play (kill confirmed could use re-tooling)
4. I like the pick ten system that allows me to play the way I want to play, for example equipping quickdraw on an assualt rifle and quick recover follow springint (dexterity) in the same class
5. I like that the weapons don't kill too quickly, so skill takes precedence in gun fights.
6. I like groundwar
7. I like the deep stat system, which lets me see performance with each weapon over narrow to broad periods of time
8. I enjoy reviewing my play in theater mode
9. I like that the streaks are more difficult to attain
10. I think this has a much deeper meta game that rewards players who put thought into it
Sure there are things I don't like. But overall, this has been the CoD I enjoyed the most - even more than World at War, which had an incredible atmosphere, good gameplay, and good maps.
I sure hope Treyarch starts a new story line over from scratch with a WW2 shooter that implements everything BO2 did well. They could certainly get creative with the score streaks and more exotic weapons, to give the game a fresher feel that the original CoD WW2 titles didn't have.
Basically, for all of BO2's faults, it was simply the most for - for me - to play, hands down.
I agree with every single reason that you posted, TC. Just to add some of my reasons for still playing and LOVING this game:
- I love the attachments. And how Treyarch took what had in many cases traditionally been a perk (Stalker, Sleight of Hand) and transformed it into an attachment.
- Displaying the Score Per Minute in the Lobby Leaderboard gives you a strong sense of who might be camping, which in my mind discourages many (but not all, of course) from playing that way.
- I really enjoy the vibrant colour scheme that Treyarch used for this game. The player characters don't blend into the background as easily as they do in CoD: Ghosts, MW2, and the like. Not to mention the colours are a nice break from the somber greys and browns found in Call of Duty titles of late.
- On the topic of maps, I do love that Treyarch makes use of the classic three-lane approach to design, which keeps gunfights frequent (on most maps), and enjoyable.
- Perks seem pretty well thought out. I appreciate how some of the perks were designed to discourage camping. I also appreciate how they are (as a general rule), a little more realistic. Being able to survive a drop from the roof of a 3 story favela building and subsequently knife an opponent through automatic weapon fire seems a little ridiculous.
- Footsteps seem pretty reasonable. I'm glad I don't sound like a herd of elephants when I traverse the map.
Overall, this game is just plain fun to me. Even when I get one shotted by quickscopers, or outflanked by Lightweight SMG heroes, I am having a blast.
Because it's fun. Isn't that why people play video games?
I went back to Blops2 because Ghost made me sick. This game is everything Ghost isn't and that's FUN to play. I like the fact that's it's fast paced, unlike Ghost where games will time out and it's a glorified game of "find the Timmy in the corner"