Will there be books lying about for reading ?

#1VasDeferensPosted 5/4/2012 6:48:28 PM
This is one of the characteristics of the TES series. If Zenimax Online wants to keep the flavor of the world of Tamriel, there should be books to read all over the place.
---
I fail in life so I can win in games .
#2CityLumbarPosted 5/4/2012 6:56:14 PM
No books allowed! Reading is for nerds! >_>
---
My boredom has outshined the sun
#3user420Posted 5/4/2012 7:53:03 PM
There will not be.

There will be nothing laying around at all.

It's virtually impossible to do for an MMO, the memory/bandwidth usage would be astronomical.
---
Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch TV, save for old age, obey the law, repeat after me: I am free.
#4StnkyWizleTeetsPosted 5/4/2012 8:19:34 PM
CityLumbar posted...
No books allowed! Reading is for nerds! >_>

NERDS!!!!!
#595_EclipsePosted 5/4/2012 8:40:58 PM
Yeah, as an MMO its HIGHLY unlikely.

I think this will be one of the biggest hurdles for this MMO. Most ES fans are going to be expecting ES, but they are going to get a fantasy MMO based in the ES universe.

People who don't like ES are probably not going to play it, and those who do like ES, many will refuse to play it, others will be highly disappointed by its lack of ES-ness. That leaves a fairly small group (by MMO standards) left around.

If this MMO survives for long term, I'll be surprised to be honest.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#6CityLumbarPosted 5/4/2012 8:43:44 PM
WTF are you talking about?
---
My boredom has outshined the sun
#7White RiderPosted 5/4/2012 8:58:22 PM
user420 posted...
There will not be.

There will be nothing laying around at all.

It's virtually impossible to do for an MMO, the memory/bandwidth usage would be astronomical.

Ridiculous. The books wouldn't be hosted server side, and even if they were, text takes up very little memory. The King James version of the Bible is about 4 MB in size, for example.
---
Excelsior!
#8nucshadowPosted 5/4/2012 9:55:22 PM
I hope there are books to read even though i don't actually think there will be. If there are books however, any NERD I find reading I will pickpocket all their junk... as a penalty for reading... LOL that is funny cuz I am a nerd who reads a lot
---
What you need is dat Hagraven
#9user420Posted 5/4/2012 10:07:22 PM(edited)
Ridiculous. The books wouldn't be hosted server side, and even if they were, text takes up very little memory. The King James version of the Bible is about 4 MB in size, for example

Ya, except no. Any kind of hand placed loot that can be interacted with in a visible manner with any other player uses bandwidth. Sure you can store the actual dats for the items client side, but any sort of action taken with it requires information to be transferred. Anything that's moved, taken or placed causes information to be sent/received to all players within view of the item.

Now, multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of hand placed items in an ES game.

It's not going to happen.
---
Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch TV, save for old age, obey the law, repeat after me: I am free.
#10ForteGSOmegaPosted 5/5/2012 8:18:01 AM
Wait, why would you bring up completely unnecessary constraints? Why does the presence of a book have to be synchronized? It's perfectly possible for a book to be picked up by Player A (and have it disappear for said player) while still be available for Player B, at no bandwidth cost. GW2 does something similar within their loot system.
Therefore, to answer the TC's question: "We don't know if they will, but it's perfectly possible and easy to do"

But if you'd want to synchronize anyway, this could be done with as much as one bit per static, non-moving(!) object and could be transmitted when you first enter an area. Changes while you're inside an area (or movable objects) are a bit more expensive, but still perfectly manageable (for reference, WoW uses some clever tricks to keep the size to a minimum, and they update items, players, pets, npcs, projectile positions from attacks/spells and much more). I'd also like to stress that only your immediate area is important, so it's completely irrelevant if there are "hundreds of thousands of hand placed items" in the whole world. There won't be that many in your immediate surroundings.

Lastly, I'd like to understand what you base your comments on. Are you an actual developer speaking from experience? Whenever I had to do something similar, I never really ran into problems, but admittedly, I never worked on a scale as big as an MMO game.
---
"Naturally, I knows the hacker" - Kid, Ever17