Why does anyone think this is going to be a good idea?

#1mrzacharyPosted 5/5/2012 12:50:14 PM
Not to come off as trollish or anything, but I in my own personal opinion think this isn't going to be all that great. To those who think this game will be good....why? >.>
---
Pharmacist, Scholar, and Achievement Hunter of The Bar With No Name
Times attacked by the Mod Squad: 25
#2StnkyWizleTeetsPosted 5/5/2012 12:52:00 PM
Why not?
#3mrzachary(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 1:01:42 PM
Well for one, the fact that it is multiplayer will ruin many things that made it great in the first place. no doubt they will make a god awful way of getting items or loot from fallen enemies. and a very high chance every single NPC will be essential, and unable to kill other players unless maybe you challenge them to a duel of some kind.
The constant shouting of 13 year olds saying noob or n00b or froob or whatever stupid thing they come up with next is another turn off.
the way they handle multiple people buying things may change as well, as will the value of currency.

Basically it will also be like any CoD game, once you've played one, you've already played them all.
---
#4TheSmilingLordPosted 5/5/2012 1:21:00 PM
Honestly an Elder Scrolls MMO could be a fantastic idea, if it was implemented right.

ES is a complete and total sandbox known for it's high graphics and virtual freedom. I mean no player housing, etc. is a major turn off. I mean at the very least you would expect to loot everything off anyone you can kill. However do you seriously expect the devs to allow that?
---
Gamertag: Ragnarok
#5ShibutoPosted 5/5/2012 1:24:11 PM

Well for one, the fact that it is multiplayer will ruin many things that made it great in the first place. no doubt they will make a god awful way of getting items or loot from fallen enemies. and a very high chance every single NPC will be essential, and unable to kill other players unless maybe you challenge them to a duel of some kind.

How? And how do you know any of this is going to happen?

The constant shouting of 13 year olds saying noob or n00b or froob or whatever stupid thing they come up with next is another turn off.

If you don't know how to ignore them then the problem is yourself, not the 13 year olds that say noobs...

the way they handle multiple people buying things may change as well, as will the value of currency.

And why this is a concern to you in the first place? Do you know how the currency is going to function? What changes are you expecting?

Basically it will also be like any CoD game, once you've played one, you've already played them all.

No...no it really wouldn't...its a different experience from other TES games, its an MMO, MMOs nowadays are twisting gameplay around as an example is TERA and its real-time combat.
---
I own all 3 systems therefore I am unbiased: 360 > PS3 >> Wii -Bill Gates Son
#6mrzachary(Topic Creator)Posted 5/5/2012 1:38:51 PM
Shibuto posted...

How? And how do you know any of this is going to happen?

Well because shifting from a single player game as large as TES makes their games, they won't be able to keep things as they do now, they have to make things work for thousands of players.

If you don't know how to ignore them then the problem is yourself, not the 13 year olds that say noobs...

I can ignore them, it's just disappointing that they have to be there in the first place.

And why this is a concern to you in the first place? Do you know how the currency is going to function? What changes are you expecting?

I don't know how it is going to function and that is why it concerns me.
---
#7ShibutoPosted 5/5/2012 1:49:45 PM

Well because shifting from a single player game as large as TES makes their games, they won't be able to keep things as they do now, they have to make things work for thousands of players.

Again, how do you know all this? How do you know the transition from single player is going to change things?

can ignore them, it's just disappointing that they have to be there in the first place.

Why? If you're ignoring them, why do you care what they do?

How can you be concerned about something that isn't there yet...?
---
#8LaLiLLuLeLoPosted 5/5/2012 2:23:14 PM
Shibuto posted...
Again, how do you know all this? How do you know the transition from single player is going to change things?

Think about what he said reasonably please. The driving point behind the series has always been the freedom that it allows. If you want go and kill everyone you can, if you want to roleplay living as a woodcutter you can, you can play and fight in any way you so choose. If you have thousands of people all in a world of limited space how will you allow this same degree of freedom? If someone kills an NPC then they would be killed for everyone, or they would have to respawn later, and either way this destroys the freedom that people have come to be used to. If you make them unkillable you reach the same conclusion. If you kill someone else you will want to loot everything they have, but in all of the games you can always reload and retry things from a different angle, so how can you make this system the same while fundamentally changing the entire basis of the game? You can't, either killing someone duplicates their items so you can have a set and they can reload or you lose all that you have because someone killed you, either way it is entirely against how the series functions. Consider now that there is limited space in the world. If you have a large group of people that decide to play in a roleplaying aspect as normal citizens rather than killing a crap ton of stuff will there be enough space and resources for everyone? The series has usually tried to keep things realistic, there's a house available in each city and resources replenish over time, but if you have this many people either they will have to make insane amounts available to everyone or make it all respawn instantly or even make things like that separately tracked for everyone, but it still won't be the same. I could go on but hopefully you see the point my friend is trying to make; an MMO cannot keep the same style of play as the game has become accustomed to over the years, it won't work. It may be a good game, but it will not be able to function with the freedom and realism that The Elder Scrolls focuses on.

can ignore them, it's just disappointing that they have to be there in the first place.
Why? If you're ignoring them, why do you care what they do?

So you aren't bothered that people go out and rape, steal, murder, etc. just because it doesn't affect you? If so then you are truly senseless, and if so then you now see his point.

How can you be concerned about something that isn't there yet...?

Do you have a family, or if not do you want one? Do you work a job where you want a promotion or do you wish to get a job? Are you in schooling or plan to at some point? There are countless scenarios in which things will happen that will affect how these things resolve themselves. Just because someone doesn't have a family yet doesn't stop them from being concerned about having one some day, there not being an opening for a promotion doesn't mean that most people will already be doing all they can so that when it becomes available they have a shot at it. Just because someone hasn't gotten to the point where they need to write a thesis and take finals and graduate doesn't mean they don't concern themselves with it. The more I pull your arguments apart at the very frayed seams the more it seems you either speak with ignorance of how the world works or just sheer unintelligent belligerence.
---
Who are the Patriots? I am the Patriots...no, not the football team.
If you are interested in joining The Bar With No Name, please send a PM to somebody336.
#9ShibutoPosted 5/5/2012 2:44:34 PM(edited)

Think about what he said reasonably please.

I can't...because so far what he's been saying was assumptions...I'm not going to read the rest of the post because its long but I can tell you that games like Skyrim and Oblivion don't necessarily give you complete freedom....yes you can do what you want but to a certain extent...once you do a storyline there really isn't much else to do other than crafting or just finish the main quest if you haven't done it...for an MMO there is freedom on what to do, there are different paths you can take only this time with several people instead of your own lonesome, god-like self

So you aren't bothered that people go out and rape, steal, murder, etc. just because it doesn't affect you? If so then you are truly senseless, and if so then you now see his point.

13 year olds shouting noobs and thieves/rapists/murderers are two completely different things...so no I do not see his point...yet anyway...

Do you have a family, or if not do you want one? Do you work a job where you want a promotion or do you wish to get a job? Are you in schooling or plan to at some point? There are countless scenarios in which things will happen that will affect how these things resolve themselves. Just because someone doesn't have a family yet doesn't stop them from being concerned about having one some day, there not being an opening for a promotion doesn't mean that most people will already be doing all they can so that when it becomes available they have a shot at it. Just because someone hasn't gotten to the point where they need to write a thesis and take finals and graduate doesn't mean they don't concern themselves with it. The more I pull your arguments apart at the very frayed seams the more it seems you either speak with ignorance of how the world works or just sheer unintelligent belligerence.

Again you're putting real-life scenarios on a video game...they're not the same. What he is "concerned about" (a.k.a. first world problems) is how the currency is going to work out when we don't even know how its going to work out...its something so miniscule as a matter of fact that I don't even know why you're comparing it with worrying about whether or not you want a family or a job promotion...

So in short....don't compare real life to an MMO it hasn't even come out...
---
#10LaLiLLuLeLoPosted 5/5/2012 2:59:41 PM
Sadly I don't have time to continue discussing this much, but I was responding to you with those, not him. You stated rather generally, "How do you know a transition from single player is going to change things," and I responded with various plain-to-see examples that you are too lazy to even read, so right there you got off to a good start. You then said, "If you're ignoring them, why do you care what they do?" Again, I wasn't speaking to my friend's comments, I was speaking to you and showing situations where almost any reasonable person would care about things that other people do even if it doesn't affect them. You ended with, "How can you be concerned with something that isn't there yet," and I gave multiple examples of things that may not be there yet but are very easy and reasonable to be concerned with. I was responding to your generalizations and misunderstanding of how thought processes work in an attempt to give you a greater understanding, I'm sorry that you have difficulty grasping the idea behind a proof of concept, but logic would really be a great thing to learn, shame you likely wouldn't have the work ethic to try it seeing as you can't even read a single, albeit long paragraph. Have a nice day.
---
Who are the Patriots? I am the Patriots...no, not the football team.
If you are interested in joining The Bar With No Name, please send a PM to somebody336.